The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 17-Year Cicada Emergence Anyone?

They're driving us NUTS today!!

Started slowly about 2 weeks ago, & was limited to distant woodlands.

But slowly, like a Grade B science fiction flick, they've started erupting closer & closer, & now like "Them" or "The Day of the Triffids", they're right on top of us. The sound is deafening.

And it's not just us. The horses stand close together in their paddock, heads up, staring at the wooded vacant property next to us that sounds like a flying saucer is landing.

Have found the little devils clinging to our cedar siding, the birdhouses, the shrubs, you name it. Bizarre little things - especially those beady little bright red eyes.

And no - even though the media is all hopped up on how nutritious they are & how we should all be grilling them or turning them into casseroles, that's not going to happen here. Although I may have to invest in some of those foam earplugs if this doesn't let up soon.
    Last edited by Bacardi1; May. 25, 2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling

1 members found this post helpful.

I used to work for the airlines... A few years ago they were so bad they would clog up the jet engines on the planes overnight. The crews would be unable to start the planes before maintenance got out there to clean them all out. Or so I was told.

Haven't seen any yet. They almost killed my trees the last cycle.
    You are what you dare.

I haven't seen any here in the greater Rochester area. I've been on the farm for 23 yrs and in this area since '72 and never seen or, thankfully heard, any cicada's.

Barcardi and Katy, where are you located that you have them?
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Bacardi1 is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster

I'm in Culpeper, VA.

The soil temps have to hit 65 degrees before they emerge so that is one benefit to this crazy, cool spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    The soil temps have to hit 65 degrees before they emerge so that is one benefit to this crazy, cool spring.

While we've had some warm and even hot weather (87 F) already this year, we are now at 55 F and temps to go to the 30's again tonight so if any are around it might be a few more days to wks till they come around.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

msj, we're outside the range of any major brood. This year's brood will hit the NYC area and a bit North and East of there, but that's it for NY State. I've lived here all my life, and have never seen or heard anything remotely like what some of the Eastern Seaboard states are, or will be, experiencing.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    msj, we're outside the range of any major brood. This year's brood will hit the NYC area and a bit North and East of there, but that's it for NY State. I've lived here all my life, and have never seen or heard anything remotely like what some of the Eastern Seaboard states are, or will be, experiencing.
    Oh my, Louise, you are breaking my heart! NOT!!!!

I do hope that we don't hear or get any around western NY either.
    Sue

The worst places for the Cicadas is in a place where the trees and other places they lay eggs haven't been disturbed between the previous egg laying, and today when they hatch. If you're in a place where there has been a lot of development, then the numbers will be reduced. I still remember the hideous Cicada hatching when I was in high school. The empty pods were everywhere, many trees had bad damage from the egg laying boring, and the cicadas kept flying into us while we walked to school. It was like a bad Sci Fi movie.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    The worst places for the Cicadas is in a place where the trees and other places they lay eggs haven't been disturbed between the previous egg laying, and today when they hatch.
    Yup. Our area exactly. We've been here for 16 years & very little of the landscape has changed.

We're in Louisa, Va. and they've been outrageous for the last two weeks, and still going strong. We had them here seventeen years ago too.
    I think it's amazing. We're actually enjoying them. We haven't been able to mow in many areas because we don't want to run over them. The dogs have to stay indoors more due to too much snacking. The horses couldn't care less.

I need to find out how long it takes for the eggs or nymphs to get back to the ground. We need some tree work done but we'll wait however long so we don't screw up the cycle.

I hope we're here for the next seventeen year emergence.

4 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Oh - don't get me wrong. We're not killing them either, although I do pick them off my few ornamentals (dogwoods, weeping crabapple). But even then I don't kill them - just toss them away. They're really clumsy fliers. And our dogs don't seem to be interested in them at all.

It's just the daytime sound that can drive you inside after awhile. They seem to thankfully shut up once the sun sets.

I'm in Harrisonburg and haven't seen any. Was in Ruckersville earlier this week and they were out in force! I love them

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    I'm in Harrisonburg and haven't seen any. Was in Ruckersville earlier this week and they were out in force! I love them
    Listen to them close-up for 12-15 hours a day & then tell me how much you love them - lol!

So far I've only heard one or two. But I can remember the last time they were out. I was at my former riding instructor's farm helping him get a project done and you couldn't hear yourself think they were SOOOOO loud. I asked him how he dealt with it. He reached up to his ear, turned on his hearing aid and said " What? I had my ear off, so I couldn't hear you." Oh, never mind!!!

Original Poster

My husband has tinnitus, & when they first began "singing", he thought it was just his tinnitus acting up. I thought it was someone in the distance running some sort of machinery.

Needless to say, once the emergence was closer, we knew. Thank God the little beggers shut off after sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Barcardi and Katy, where are you located that you have them?
    I live in TX, but the stories I had heard were in TN.
    We get a few every year, but haven't had a bad year in a while (I remember the bad years when I was a kid). My dog loves to torture them!

Nine years ago was a big cicada cycle in the DC/Maryland area. When I drove to Maryland to pick up my Corgi puppy, all the puppies were happily running around the yard munching on cicadas. If we get a big cicada population up here this summer, I wonder if Tribble will still eat them.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

We had a fundraising schooling show in Charlottesville, Virginia last weekend and our poor judge kept getting covered in them. Luckily she liked them, she was even naming some of them