The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Not a terrible commercial, but I can't stand it because the song always gets stuck in my head. Its the Kia commercial where the family can't find a parking spot in the parking garage except for the one uber small one. Cue the challenge to the dad to park in the spot. Its kind of clever, but that song...Beep Beep, Beep! I have to walk away from the TV at that point or I'll have that stuck in my head for the rest of the night. Curse them for putting in on during hockey games, where I can't fast-forward through it!

No. 1 is the Sarah McLaughlan one with the suffering animals. I can't even handle it. I mean, it does what it's supposed to do, it's effective and all. But it *kills* me so I just have to turn it off immediately.

Also, the commercials with the stuffed heart on youtube videos. Zoosk I think? I want to rip that stuffed heart in half.

Last but not least, anything with excessively jovial animated food. Don't make me think of a cookie as a sentient being, because then I just feel guilty eating it!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    ...commercials for the disability/social security lawyers.
    ^This. I am so tired of all the lawyer commercials on TV here. Also, while it's not quite a commercial, it sort of is--ABC 45 (NC) Business News Update, and the interviewer (Holly May) is just awful. I will mute the TV just so I do not have to listen to her horrible interviewing.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    No. 1 is the Sarah McLaughlan one with the suffering animals. I can't even handle it. I mean, it does what it's supposed to do, it's effective and all. But it *kills* me so I just have to turn it off immediately.
    exactly.

Last but not least, anything with excessively jovial animated food. Don't make me think of a cookie as a sentient being, because then I just feel guilty eating it!!!

as mentioned above, the empire carpet ad has me leaping for the mute button. the Luna ads aren't as bad.

i think there are some things that shouldn't be in commercials: TP, "feminine protection," depends and their ilk, and ANY drugs. my mother watches very little TV, but a doc prescribed some drug for her and then she saw an ad for it with the (legally required) abbreviated short-form pt info recitation (it may even have been a black box rx), and she called him up and said "i'm not taking this."
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

There are 2 car dealerships here in CT that have commercials that I HAVE to turn off when they come on.

One I've only heard the radio commercials and while the dealership owner might be a nice person for all I know, her voice is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. Not to mention the ridiculous claims. I don't remember the name of the dealership, but every time I hear "I'm Jill Miriam, dealer for the people!" I wince. She sounds like Minnie Mouse and Gilbert Gottfried (sp?) had an unwanted love child.

And the TV commercials for another dealership where they attempt humor and just can't pull it off, they come across as creepy instead. They use someone's kid on it and he intones their motto, "We just want to get you a loan!" with a smirk. You want to get people alone? Yeah, that's not creepy. Makes the kid seem like Chucky.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Will probably get mauled but I HATE the Subaru "Overprotective Dad" commercial. Now I think the little girl is great. Actually, I think her 50's look is fab and her facial expressions are PERFECT. Awesomeness all around.

What I hate is the voice-over: "I'm overprotective...." as the father endangers his life and that of other drivers by driving alongside the schoolbus. Protective is good. Overprotective is not good. I really hate the portrayal of helicopter parenting as a positive trait.

3 members found this post helpful.

We have a lot of "tech" schools in my area. I can't stand their commercials on the radio. One school had a series of commercials starring "Justin." "Hi, it's Justin again...want to get out of that dead end job and into a new job in computers?"

In general, they all invited students to enroll in their school so that they could get jobs in "computers." Nothing specific about computers...just...computers. It sounded like they offered classes in Word, PowerPoint, etc. So, I don't know...basically classes for people like my mom who presently says things like "I'm going to get on the e-mail now" or "I know you think we need something faster, but Dad says dial-up e-mail is fine for the amount I use it" when what she really means is "Internet." LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ReeseTheBeast View Post
    OMG, I HATE those commercials, too! J.G. Wentworth... STFU already.
    877 CASH NOWWWWW

god I hate those
    "I think animal testing is a terrible idea, they get all nervous and give silly answers."
    -fry & laurie

1 members found this post helpful.

Definitely GEICO with Dikembe Mutumbo (hate it). There is an energy one with a spokeswoman who used to be in the Smart Balance cereal commercial (the one where she say she forgot to mention something about the cereal and then says "how dumb of me.) The Swifter commercial with the "who's that lady" song where the mop sings to various other objects like a bowling ball or a lawn rake.

Can't hit the mute or change channel button quick enough on those.

On the other hand, I do like Zoosk commercial with the talking heart.

There is no commercial I like. They are ALL annoying.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I hate the Kit Kat one where they crunch in rhythm. And anything by Progressive.....Flo had better not stalk me in an alley!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Yes, a thousand times yes, on the Sarah McLachlan suffering ASPCA animals one. My husband flings himself across the house at the first strains of "Angel" to get to the remote control, because it takes less than three seconds for me to be a paralyzed blubbering mass on the couch.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Anything with Flo. Can't stand her!

Locally....one lawyer (ambulance chaser type) who is a horse person. He's a jerk and thinks he's a good rider but he's not (yes, I know him, used to board with him). He often has his horse in his commercials and likes to go riding off into the sunset (jerking on the reins and jingling his spurs). I end up yelling "you're a *$&#^&" every time the commercial comes on.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

The Norm MacDonald insurance ones. I want to throat punch him.

On the other hand, I do LOVE Mayhem.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

The Contonelle TP commercials about moist wipes. Any commercial where an alarm clock that sounds like the one I had all through high school is going off... I hated that alarm clock!! I too dislike Flo.
    I don't like the Mutumbo one, but I did like the body builder directing traffic one lol and the mayhem ones.

I don't have TV but youtube is just full of the stupid things. We stream the Amazing Race and yes, there's a fair amount of unintentional hilarity coming from the medication ads - "see your doctor if your body part swells up like a balloon, because you could DIE". Ugh. One thing I never have missed about TV.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

That's not Norm MacDonald playing "Mayhem", by the way.

Commercials I hate: Carl's Jr. with nearly nekkid hot chicks messily eating burgers. Gack!

Anything requiring alerting your doctor for an erection lasting longer than 4 hours.

Those "Mayhem" commercials (sorry!)

That stupid AFLAC duck!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    That's not Norm MacDonald playing "Mayhem", by the way

That stupid AFLAC duck!
    Well yeah, that's why I said "on the other hand".

And I'm so with you on the duck. What kind of gun is good for duck season?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Does noone besides me hate the Snuggle Bear?
    AS IF I'd buy a product a stuffed toy recommends!

And just once, I'd like to see the Pillsbury Doughboy's doughy little guts come back out with the finger that pokes him

I did not even know who the basketball player was in the Geico commerical, but I still found it amusing.
    I am easily entertained.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Calvin-I agree with all of your choices. I also hate anything about toilet paper, intestinal health (Activia, and the probiotics), feminine products, and those endless erectile dysfunction commercials. And I hate hearing about Joe Theismann's prostate (probably because I consider JT to be the biggest egotist, and loser on the face of the planet).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White