The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default commercials you can't STAND

ads that make you herniate yourself diving for the remote. ads that make you sit up and take notice of what they're for, solely to make sure you NEVER purchase that product or patronize that business ever again.

for me, it's the ATT ads with the little kids.

http://creativity-online.com/news/si...licated/240525
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't have TV so I am limited to radio ads for my response, but there is a local car dealership around here that has the most awful advertising in the universe. It is an awful man having whatever awful conversation with an awful woman about whatever awful topic that they think is cute (in one he basically called her fat? because that sells cars?), and in the end everything is
    "HHHHYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOGGGGEEEEE-UH."

Buffalonians, feel free to pitch in with who this is.

Pharmacutical avertising. All of it. I strongly feel that what you are taking is something a trained doctor should recomend, so advertising to the general public is irresponcible and shouldn't be allowed.

*steps off soapbox*

14 members found this post helpful.

How about the afternoon (mostly local I think) commercials for the disability/social security lawyers. Or the ones for a local Kia dealer, that irritate me so much that I would never consider a Kia.

Where I used to live a big auto dealer had some irritating ones with what I thought were his children or grandchildren. I found out that the original commercials many years ago were with his real family, but the ones for the following years were actors.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I really dislike the commercial for GEICO with the basketball player smacking things out of peoples' hands. It makes me a bit angry for the hapless people...
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

5 members found this post helpful.

1-877-Kars for Kids. K-A-R-S kars for kids.

I want to S-H-O-O-T myself in the face when I hear that commercial.

And no, I don't care that it might be for a good cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybJ6fS7ruuo

Have your weapon of choice ready.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    I really dislike the commercial for GEICO with the basketball player smacking things out of peoples' hands. It makes me a bit angry for the hapless people...
    In this commercial's defense, it's a play on how Dikembe Mutumbo behaved when he was actually a professional basketball player. He was known for his "no no no, not today" finger wag at the opponent when he would block a shot or a pass. The commercial is basically him parodying himself.

However, I agree it's a little cruel for the other unfortunate people.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Far_North_Equestrian View Post
    Pharmacutical avertising. All of it. I strongly feel that what you are taking is something a trained doctor should recomend, so advertising to the general public is irresponcible and shouldn't be allowed.

*steps off soapbox*
    Whaddup with the Pristiq (anti-depressant) commercial where all of the people have wind-up screws in the back? Oh, the prescribing doctor does not. But the patients-- before and after-- do. They also move at the same robotic pace throughout. Can you think of a worse visual description of what that drug can do for you.... or to you? Oh, and boring music.

Who got paid to direct that POS?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

In this commercial's defense, it's a play on how Dikembe Mutumbo behaved when he was actually a professional basketball player. He was known for his "no no no, not today" finger wag at the opponent when he would block a shot or a pass. The commercial is basically him parodying himself.

However, I agree it's a little cruel for the other unfortunate people.

especially for those of us who've never heard of the guy... but i agree, that one bugs me too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

My pet peeve:

The Crest White Strips commercial about the woman who sees a guy and imagines him being her lover, soulmate, husband, father to her children.

"But first, you have to make him say hello."

Hello indeed. So, woman who wants a guy for all that can't speak to him, you know, 'use her words'? I can't help thinking of the woman who would ensnare a man with her uber-white teeth as a manipulative bizatch.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Ovaltine. Way back when Facebook was college students only, I started a group called "Ovaltine Commercials Induce Suicide".

On the radio--there's a company called Aamco which does car repairs (or something) and they have this annoying HONK-HONK that's their trademark or something. Besides being incredibly annoying, I think it's a huge safety hazard. When you're listening to the radio in the car and hear a honk, you react. Same with the sound of a phone ringing or sirens. IMO that could very easily lead to an accident.

There's a local car dealership that ends their commercials with "It's HYOOOOOOOOOOOGUH!" I will never buy a car from them. They're obnoxious.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Don't you just love all of the commericals for prescription medications where they happily tell you (in a matter-of-fact, sing/song voice) about all of the potential side effects, like they're really no. big. deal ? Espeically when they say that the stuff may "cause death", "be fatal", "cause a heart attack", "stroke", or any of the other little inconveniences that taking their medication might lead to!

The orgasmic girl shampooing her hair with herbal essence or whatever it is. I hadn't seen them in a while, but now they are back Really, do we need to hear some women having an orgasm while shampooing her hair?
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

10 members found this post helpful.

And my current favorite: Booking.com.

You F-bomb types (where the F word merely acts as italics or emphasis for whatever you are saying) will appreciate it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The WaxVac. I see it a bazillion times a day at work, and it makes me cringe every time.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Meup & Amastrike, he is so HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEE his car ads are all over the freaking state! Cannot stand him and will never buy a car from one of his many dealerships.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

And while I'm at it, the No! No! commercial is pretty awful, too.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Ok, don't have a TV anymore but here are some of the ones I've hated in the past and may still be on.

Cillit Bang. Shouty man, wouldn't buy Cillit bang because I don't like shouty man.

Same with a BUY ONE GET ONE FREE, I SAY, BUY ONE GET ONE FREE shouty man advertising for a window company. If I needed windows I would avoid that one.

Go compare insurance, with the Opera singing of the advert. I hate that, I think most people hate that.

Constipation adverts. Cant think which brand it is, but theres one where a lady is carrying around a large bag and piling food into it, getting fuller and fuller. She takes the products and dumps everything from the bag into a litter bin in the street. Pretty gross when you think about it.
    There's also another, bunch of ladies who lunch sat around a table, chatting, late friend arrives and starts discussing that she is late due to toilet problems. Friend gives her constipation product. Mind boggles.

Oh another. Theres one where a simpering idiotic couple are hugely in debt and are ringing a loan company for a loan. Lots of smiling and nodding from all concerned, happy faces.
    Loan company on the phone asks how much they want, couple don't seem to know and pluck a figure out of the air THAT'S WHY YOU'RE IN DEBT YOU FOOLS.

And I think this is the same ad that says borrow money to pay your debts and maybe have enough left over to buy a new car or have a nice holiday.

It drives me crazy!! Obviously this is why I shouldn't have a tv

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    And my current favorite: Booking.com.

You F-bomb types (where the F word merely acts as italics or emphasis for whatever you are saying) will appreciate it.
    That commercial is booking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Monica67 View Post
    Meup & Amastrike, he is so HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEE his car ads are all over the freaking state! Cannot stand him and will never buy a car from one of his many dealerships.
    Now I remember that guy from Central NY. You could see those ads in Ithaca and Syracuse. Yeah, completely annoying.

Speaking of homegrown commercials. In California in the late 70s'/early 80s there was a Lincoln/Mercury dealership that had the owner sitting on top of the company's side-- perhaps 50' feet up. The dude would do his talking from there. One time the commercial showed him in a body cast--- like an one-shoulder-bare dress. Like he had fallen off the sign? I don't know whether it was really or not, but it was awesome.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat