The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I was sort of being tongue in cheek about the phytoestrogens in flax. The amount that would be in a cup or two of flax seeds is MINIMAL, and highly, highly unlikely to turn a 1000 pound horse's endocrine system upside down.

Remember that as mares get older they often show very different signs of the beginning of their yearly estrous cycle. The way they behave at 3 is often VASTLY different than how they behave at 8 or 15.

Don't rule out springtime foolishness just yet--far more likely than the amount of estrogen in a few ounces of flax to be the root of her behavior. And also remember that estrus behavior is not necessarily pathological or a sign of "problems" but part of an animal's normal behavior. Even if it's inconvenient for us, it's perfectly natural.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you all for the responses.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

deltawave: Thanks for the info. I know I feed very little flax, so probably not enough to make a difference, but it has been the only change in years.

Just thought I would jump on the flax-bandwagon even though my mare is slick and shiny. Not sure what I was trying to accomplish, just felt she was the only horse in the world not getting flax.

Will let it go for now to see if it is just a "spring" thing. She doesn't look too bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006-Domino-in-FL-pond.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	37893  

My gelding is intolerant of flax. It didn't seem like it caused any hormonal problems but it gives him diarrhea. Not fun with a white tail. I tried him out on the chia seeds last year, and while they didnt upset his stomach they are very pricey and I just couldnt rationalize the cost.

I feed 1/2 c twice a day, whole to both my guys. they have winter coats that are as shiny as summer coats. Everyone is jealous!

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/suppl...s-horse-health

Does anyone feed Triple Crown's flax? Curious how this compares to other brands/sources.

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgirl View Post
    http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/suppl...s-horse-health

Does anyone feed Triple Crown's flax? Curious how this compares to other brands/sources.

I started with this, but it was $30 for 25lbs. I could get 50 lbs of whole flax seeds for only $2.00 more. So, the switch was made to whole flax since it was $0.64 per pound versus $1.20/lb of the TC flax supplement.

The TC stuff became goopy if mixed with water.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Just out of curiosity, why are people boiling, grinding and soaking when you can buy "stabilized" ground flax that doesn't go rancid. I add hot water to all my horses feeds just because I have some older guys and the ground flax mixes right in, they love it.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

More to the point, why are people doing any of this when you can feed flax seed whole and then not worry about it going rancid?

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why are people boiling, grinding and soaking when you can buy "stabilized" ground flax that doesn't go rancid. I add hot water to all my horses feeds just because I have some older guys and the ground flax mixes right in, they love it.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    More to the point, why are people doing any of this when you can feed flax seed whole and then not worry about it going rancid?
    And it's easier and cheaper :-) and works just as well!
    Kerri

It is *slightly* more bioavailable when ground. Remedied easily by just feeding a little bit more of the whole seeds. But those who grind feel morally superior to those who don't, so just leave them alone!

2 members found this post helpful.

I feed it whole, between 1/2 and 1 cup per horse per day, depending on what else they get. Mine is fed dry with all their other supplements, just mixed in at feeding time with the small amount of soaked timothy pellets or beet pulp that each get so it all holds together. We buy the 50 lb. bag at the feed store, which is the most economical -- I think it was $37 the last time we got it, and it lasts quite a while at the rate I feed, but I don't have to worry about it going bad since it is whole.

I feed ground because all my horses get their feed as a mash with lots of hot water and the whole seeds stick to the sides of the buckets and to their
    noses They stick like crazy glue!!!
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I soak my horses' feed too. I find the odd flax seed stuck to their noses, but for the most part it ends up in their stomachs .

I'd far rather pay $37/50 pounds of whole flax than $100 for Horseshine or something similar. Plus, I can order it with my feed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    I feed ground because all my horses get their feed as a mash with lots of hot water and the whole seeds stick to the sides of the buckets and to their
    noses They stick like crazy glue!!!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I cook it cause I read a report - long ago so don't ask me where - that said that is the way to get maximum benefit from it. Do I know that for sure - no. I also cook it cause it makes me feel good, is easily digestible, I don't have to grind it. Just what I prefer to do.

Deltawave, you mentioned this regarding mares' estrous cycles:

"The way they behave at 3 is often VASTLY different than how they behave at 8 or 15. "

I'm looking at buying a 5 year old mare who seems to be very sweet.........tell me, do they typically get better with age......or worse? (i.e., more marish, etc)

I'm going to say, based on my experience of owning 5 mares and boarding several others over the past 15 years (and no doubt people with many more mares than this could add more weight to this opinion, or not!) "it depends". Most of mine that I've had through their younger years were quiet as could be until age 4-5, then went through a few more or less "demonstrative" years until around age 10-12. But I had one who was actually very demonstrative to other horses when in estrus all her life, but an ANGEL to ride when in heat, and another who appears to be getting more hussy-like as she approaches age 15 and is goofy as heck when in season. So . . . it depends.

If I may be forgiven some anthropomorphism, I do thing that IN GENERAL adolescent and young-adult horses of the non-neutered variety are more likely to make a fuss about their sex lives than middle-aged individuals, at least in terms of how it affects their day to day behavior.

My boy gets a cup of Omega Horseshine a day and is the talk of the barn for his shiny coat. My only misgiving is how fattening it must be as he is the easiest keeper TB in the world and starting to be too fat.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Even a cup of pure fat is only a few hundred calories. Less than what's in a decent-sized flake of hay.

Quote Originally Posted by autumn50 View Post
    Deltawave, you mentioned this regarding mares' estrous cycles:

"The way they behave at 3 is often VASTLY different than how they behave at 8 or 15. "

I'm looking at buying a 5 year old mare who seems to be very sweet.........tell me, do they typically get better with age......or worse? (i.e., more marish, etc)
    I can tell you that the 27 yr old TB mare that boards at my barn has definitely gotten worse with age. I constantly hear from her owner "she wasn't always like this!" as maresy is jigging or spooking or refusing to go somewhere or trying to kill the geldings.