The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    To me, the key difference is that "buzzing" is distinctly done with the intent to cause fear/upset or intimidate someone. There is sh*t happens, and there is intentionally being a twatwaffle/a**hole. You can desensitize your horse, but someone who is determined to cause a problem can and WILL find a way. Very, very few horses are well and truly desensitized to everything it's possible to encounter. You can teach them to take cues from you all you want, but eventually you might run into something that causes your horse to panic enough that their brain just isn't going to be able to take cues from you. No matter what you do, you still need to respect that horses are prey animals and they have instincts that you can't fully train out. Most horses aren't going to experience getting "buzzed" before they go in the ring, and let's be honest: that stuff still scares most HUMANS who aren't expecting it. I can definitely see why a horse would freak.

Well said! This holier than thou attitude some people out here are expressing about desensitizing a horse completely simply shows some people don't know horses very well. I only hope someone finds in their heart to be kind enough to help them get back up when someday they find that their horse is not as immune to fear as they seem to believe it is. Maybe they are simply currently handling a dead blood and don't realize top horses are more sensitive and prone to spooks and shies when presented with certain situations.

I also agree that deliberate attempts to scare horses happen all the time and you can never prepare for those, either. If someone comes roaring down the road with a car aimed at my horse, I would like to count on his self preservation instincts to get us both out of harms way!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    It seems to me if your horse spooks at a helo or a jet you've failed in your preparing the horse for public appearance.

Why do some folks want to "bubble wrap" a horse and "protect" it from the normal things horses come in contact with? That just seems like foolishness to me.

The adjective "dressage" modifies the noun "horse." Maybe emphasis should be on the noun, not the adjective.
    On the specific subject of low flights, there are rules but there are exceptions for helos and military aircraft are exempt from some FAA rules.

G.

Naval Aviator, retired.

I find this funny. How do you expect someone to prepare their horse for this if they are no where near an airfield. Should they call up the airports and pay someone to fly over daily so they can desensitize their horse to it? It's crazy to think they they have failed preparing their horses because most people don't have planes or Helios low flying ver their arena. Seriously. My guys do well because we are about 10 miles from a small airport and we have planes coming over but not low but you do get the occasional helio that's low so they have gotten use to it but i wouldn't expect someone else's horse to be.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

You also mention taking them out go to mounted shooting etc. Look I'm on the outskirts of a large busy county. In the little country that's left. We shoot on the back of our property, our neighbors shoot also. Horses here are use to gun fire yet some of mine are more sensitive than others.

My DD was 8 riding my friends dead dead broke qh that was staying here for a while. The horse was use to guns firing and has been to many trail rides and shows, including eventing with teenage owner. Amazing horse and never had a reason not to put DD on this horse. She actually showed him herself at 5 yrs old in halter and lead line and showmanship. Safest horse I think I've ever met. She rode him one day in our arena when the neighbors didn't realize. They came out to the pond to shoot to scare the geese out of the pond. It was rapid fire and about 30 to 40 ft from my arena. They shot once and the horse just looked and kept walking. Then they started rapid fire and it scared the daylights out of the horse. He took off full speed with DD hanging on, he ran right to his owner since we were both in the ring but DD did fall off. I've never in 10 yrs seen this horse spook at anything but guess what sh** happens and they are animals and they have a mind of their own. You can't treat them as a robot because well there will always be something out there that is going to scare them were they go to flight and forget your cues. Said horse I've never seen spook again since that day.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

4 members found this post helpful.

Because no horse's training is complete until it can accurately and calmly yet expressively perform a Grand Prix test in a football stadium filled with chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys blow off bottle rockets and roman candles. During a raging electrical storm.

15 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Because no horse's training is complete until it can accurately and calmly yet expressively perform a Grand Prix test in a football stadium filled with chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys blow off bottle rockets and roman candles. During a raging electrical storm.
    Larkspur, I think you just won the award for best post of 2013. No one will be able to top that!!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I've been waiting for a "tagline" on COTH. Due to my being a timid rider, I proclaim Larkspur's post as my new tagline. No offense to anyone intended, but if you knew my personality (specifically my fear of all things possibly scary to horse), you would understand the fit perfectly .

Now how do I copy this and post it as my signature???

Larkspur, I hope it's ok that I paraphrased...it was too many characters...

You guys are awesome. I have to mention that the point of this thread was not to discuss if it's justifiable that a horse is or is not easily spooked by low-flying helicopters. I think it's pretty clear to most parties that a large, noisy, focused, flying piece of machinery is going to induce fear, despite one's very best efforts to desensitize. My intent was to draw attention to the fact that someone seems to be deliberately trying to cause harm to innocent parties and that seems to be very plainly wrong in my mind.
    2 helicopter fly-overs today. One green. One white. Between 8:30 and 9am.

I have this bunch down the road - my horses know helicopeters !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6huD656pqw0

They hate these though; http://www.saawinternational.org/cow2.jpg
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyIris View Post
    2 helicopter fly-overs today. One green. One white. Between 8:30 and 9am.
    Commuters. We have an auto dealer down the road from work who copters in, on to the roof of his dealership.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Feel free to adapt/paraphrase/misquote/misuse whatever I said there. Unless of course you profit from it, in which case I'll come after you with my thinning shears.

Living near the US Air Force Academy, we have all kinds of UFOs buzzing overhead. Usually the helicopters go in groups -- big black scary ones. My horses don't mind. They're more likely to be spooked by little lost turkeys.

2 members found this post helpful.

Larkspur, you absolutely made my day.

Guilherme, have you actually ever handled a horse??? They are prey animals and very powerful. When they decide to get out of Dodge, nothing is going to stop them.

And, I can't help myself, I just have to call out this pet peeve--it is "altitude" not elevation.

All aircraft have to have tail numbers painted on both sides. If you cannot read the numbers, than write down a description to the best of your ability. You can call the local airport--if the helicopter originated there, they will be able to identify it. Buzzing IS illegal and should be reported.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Guilherme, I agree with the importance of proper desensitization but these dressage horses are not your average dressage horses that are bubble wrapped. These have been properly acclimated to the highly charged, electric atmosphere of shows - all the booming and clapping and flipping banners and loud speakers and adrenaline running. They have to ignore all the distractions in order to perform. I doubt any of them will bat an eye if you took them to a mounted shooting.

The fact that these horses lost their nerves say a lot about how dangerous the situation was.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    It seems to me if your horse spooks at a helo or a jet you've failed in your preparing the horse for public appearance.
    I'm with you, but I don't have the helicopter for the job. You need to give us a fly-by or two.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat