The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I don't compete but this whole thing is frustrating to hear about. Please let us know if/when you hear back from Scott or Hallye, I'm interested to see what they have to say.

If you are interested, Dr. Christian Schacht is holding clinics in MA at Ten Broeck Farm. He also has a great new book out, and there is a Young Horse Show at TBF June 7. Sorry it didn't work out for you with Scott. This might be an alternative, I've seen Christian in action, he is impressive.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ditto on Christian Schacht...go if you can....excellent teacher and expert on young horses (dressage and jumpers). He's been invited back on the Dressage/Sporthorse Cruise....it'll be his 3rd time ! Everyone raves about him.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    I love this part too: 2 in Florida, 2 in California, one each in Texas, Illinois, New York and Kentucky. That make for exceedingly difficult and expensive travel for smaller farms and hopeful riders.
    LOL - I read that 2 were in California and my first thought was "WOW ! California...not the east coast ! We're really getting somewhere !"

I guess everything is relative.

Interesting that there's nothing in the Pacific Northwest (ie. at Devonwood).
    -Amor vincit omnia-

2 members found this post helpful.

From an article about the recent USEF Developing Dressage clinic with Debbie McDonald: "The invitation-only training session is part of the revamped 2013 USEF Developing Dressage Program; riders were selected from a pool of applicants for 2013 Training Sessions and Grants."

Are riders invited first, then apply to be accepted ? Or do they apply first, and then receive an invitation to participate ?

If the first step is that riders must be invited before they apply, no wonder videos aren't necessary. The committee already knows who they want at the clinic.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Mardi,

I think you are talking about something different. The Young Horse training sessions are open sessions and I have never seen anywhere that it says they are invitation only.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    From an article about the recent USEF Developing Dressage clinic with Debbie McDonald: "The invitation-only training session is part of the revamped 2013 USEF Developing Dressage Program; riders were selected from a pool of applicants for 2013 Training Sessions and Grants."

Are riders invited first, then apply to be accepted ? Or do they apply first, and then receive an invitation to participate ?

If the first step is that riders must be invited before they apply, no wonder videos aren't necessary. The committee already knows who they want at the clinic.
    You're talking about something totally different. ;-) Agree on the Christian Schacht clinics, would love to get my boy into one of those....

I believe the Debbie McDonald sessions are for horses already doing PSG and above. They are intended to foster the next possible team of riders for international sport.

The YH series is for 4-5-6 year olds to foster a program here in the US for the proper development of our young stock for future sport.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I knew they were different programs, but thought perhaps they were managed the same way....
    -Amor vincit omnia-

i am just curious: what young horses has Scott trained? I know he is very popular so just curious

Well his wife Suzanne placed fourth at the Young Horse Championships in Verden with Royal Prince. Highest placing for an American rider at the time (and still I think??). Undoubtedly trained/coached by her husband Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i am just curious: what young horses has Scott trained? I know he is very popular so just curious

Well his wife Suzanne placed fourth at the Young Horse Championships in Verden with Royal Prince. Highest placing for an American rider at the time (and still I think??). Undoubtedly trained/coached by her husband Scott.

She spent her whole riding career with Scott?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    Undoubtedly trained/coached by her husband Scott.
    She might have been coached by Scott for the WBFSH Young Horse Championships in Verden, but she was a qualified Young Rider and riding at least PSG before she ever met Scott. Her mother is judge Anita Owen and Susanne and Scott met at one of the Young rider Finals.

That being said, back on topic, I do hope that they reply to you Eliza!

Royal Prince was trained in Germany at placed at the BuCha as a 3yo and 4yo. He then sold to Hilltop at the end of his 4yo year and Suzanne started riding him. 6 months later he placed 4th at the WBFSH WC as a 5yo. He spent a good bit of that time back and forth to Germany training with Michael Klimke and prepping. yes - Scott helped coached Suzanne on the horse at that time but it would be a stretch to say that he was 100% responsible - as it was commented quite a bit that the horse was a "made" horse at the time of the 5yos. He returned as a 6yo but didn't finish well.

That said - Scott's passion and enthusiasm and support of the YH program and YH riders is undoubtable.
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2013 Reserve Champion Westfalen Pony Stallion Licensing

Here's my 2cents on the money spent on this bogus Young Horse Training program. The people selected to lead these programs as "Trainers" should be individuals who have started and competed young horses SUCCESSFULLY themselves. They should have a resume that includes a list of young horses THEY have trained and successfully competed in the Young Horse classes. In other words, they have walked the walk and not just talked the talk. they have to have been there and DONE THAT. Otherwise there should just be grants to individuals with high scoring young horses with potential to train with their own trainer.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

4 members found this post helpful.

Enthusiasm and Support is not the key criteria for a Young Horse Trainer and Coach. They are supposed to be assisting talented riders with talented Young horses to be able to compete and receive the scores our counterparts are achieveing in Europe. That - has so far NOT HAPPENED.

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    Enthusiasm and Support is not the key criteria for a Young Horse Trainer and Coach. They are supposed to be assisting talented riders with talented Young horses to be able to compete and receive the scores our counterparts are achieveing in Europe. That - has so far NOT HAPPENED.

I agree with you Ilona... and with Melissa further above. I don’t think anyone wants to be bashing anyone, we’re talking about really nice folks, and if this were just a matter of “who’s a well liked person” then we’d have no discussion. Moreover, what people do as part of their private business enterprise is entirely their business. Where any of this becomes a matter of public discussion is when our resources are going towards support of the US team. It’s one thing to say, “So and so has tons of talent and ability, but hasn’t had the funding and resources to prove themselves.” And it’s another thing to say, “ X has had all the resources in the world, has had a dozen or so FEI prospects in training, has had the ability to show anywhere in the world, to purchase most any horse in the world, to train with most anyone in the world, and with one horse after another, X has simply NOT been able to produce what the team needs.” Rather, it’s been a legacy of injury and inability, wrapped in a beautiful package. It’s hard not to come to the conclusion after years and years of observation, that X simply does not have the ability to produce what is needed.

We have to award actual merit and achievement. Otherwise we are reducing our teams to nothing more than a meritless plaything of the very rich. We can continue down our current path… and be even less and less competitive as the years go by.

Actual merit based competition nurtures and encourages excellence. Carrying people, or allowing them positions of leadership that exceed their actual skill set and achievements will weaken our team over time. People with merit and true ability will focus elsewhere.
    Last edited by Cartier; Apr. 12, 2013 at 09:10 AM.

7 members found this post helpful.

I hope you come back with a response you can share OP--this is a very interesting thread. I hope you get a response!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

The people selected to lead these programs as "Trainers" should be individuals who have started and competed young horses SUCCESSFULLY themselves. They should have a resume that includes a list of young horses THEY have trained and successfully competed in the Young Horse classes. In other words, they have walked the walk and not just talked the talk. they have to have been there and DONE THAT. Otherwise there should just be grants to individuals with high scoring young horses with potential to train with their own trainer.
    They are supposed to be assisting talented riders with talented Young horses to be able to compete and receive the scores our counterparts are achieveing in Europe. That - has so far NOT HAPPENED.
    Does this person exist in the US? I'm asking seriously. Is there a trainer that has trained horses for the YH classes that has been successful here and in Verden? They can't just be US successes as the goal is the be competitive with the rest of the world (i.e.; Germany, Holland, England). The Hassler's have a strong working relationship with Klimke and the Pape's (as well as many other trainers here and abroad), are both riders themselves, are both respected trainers/ clinicians...so maybe he is who we have here in the US to spearhead this new program??? Unless we import a trainer for the US YH program who else in the US would be a good candidate?

Well Blume Farm - Willy Arts comes to mind. He's trained, competed and qualified young horses.

And what's wrong with paying professionals from Europe to come here to give the training sessionns. As a WB breeder of 27 years - the imporation of quality mares and stallions was absolutely necessary to establish a foundation upon which many of us built our breeding programs. And now we are producing sporthorses and ponies that are on par with Europe. If you have a deficiency which we clearly do with respect to Young Horse Coaches and Trainers - you go and FIND THEM and HIRE THEM to build a program upon which riders and trainers here can learn and progress.

Just because someone is a rider and has relationships with trainers in Europe doesn't mean they are on par with the trainers in Europe who are training Young Horses consistantly and also training the riders of these young horses.

The proof is in the SCORES. After decades of building the WB sporthorse industry in this country and hearing from highly qualified people FROM Europe that our horses and ponies are on par with theirs - begs the question why aren't the horses in our Young Horse Program achieve SCORES on par with Europe??? They have the conformation and ability and I'm sure many of the riders are very competent but are using a system that isn't working. We should have mulitiple horses qualifying to go to the Young Horse Championships in Europe every year by now. But the scores aren't there. And the USEF/USDF keeps using the same plan with the same people. It OBVIOUSLY isn't working or our biggest challenge would be raising the money to ship OUR qualified Young Horses and their riders to the Championships in Europe.

I also don't agree with this "behinds the scenes selection process for the training sessions. I hope the OP can find out what exactly is the deal on this "back room" review and selection.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"