The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Young Horse Training Session with Scott Hassler

I recently applied to ride in the Young Horse Training Session with a coming 4 yr old that I plan on competing in the young horse classes this year. I was perplexed when they didn't ask for a video with the application (applications sent to USEF, not Scott Hassler). I figured that they were waiting to see if they got enough applications to fill it and if they did, they would then ask for videos in order to make their selections. I eventually emailed the USEF inquiring on whether I should send a video and they said no, they did not want one. Recently, I was informed that I did not get accepted to ride in the clinic.

How can they make selections for this with no video? I thought the goal of these training/observation sessions is to seek out up-and-coming talented young horses and provide guidance for riders, trainers, and owners. How can they pick out which talented young horses to foster without ever seeing them?

1 members found this post helpful.

Do they state anywhere what the criteria for acceptance is? I've thought for a while now this is "who you know" kinda deal.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

3 members found this post helpful.

I have not found anywhere where it specifically states criteria for acceptance. This is what it states on the application:
    The Markel/USEF Young Horse Dressage Training Sessions are open training sessions. Professionals are encouraged to bring their talented young horses to the training sessions even if they are not planning to qualify for the Markel/USEF Young Horse Dressage Championships.

I know it is not just on show records either. I can understand wanting a show record on a 5 or 6 yr old, but 4 yr olds?? How can a coming 4 yr old be penalized for not having a show record (especially in the Northeast, in March)? I did state on my application that I intend to compete in the 4 yr old classes and I also plan on sending in an application of intent to compete in the championships.

I have sent an email to the USEF asking for an explanation of the selection process but have not yet heard back.

Maybe you could call Scott Hassler and ask him?
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

Don't get me started...

All the time we see "clinics" advertised with BNTs and by the time it is "advertised" it is already full...

But you can pay an arm and a leg to AUDIT...

6 members found this post helpful.

What a frustrating situation.

Send a copy of your email asking for an explanation directly to Scott: scott@hasslerdressage.com

That way you're covered (USEF, and Scott directly).
    -Amor vincit omnia-

It has always seemed to be a matter of “the connections of the owner” over quality. Look at our last Olympic team, Anne Gribbons had it right. Overall, it is very frustrating, and if you are in any way objective you have to ask, “Why are we funding this in any shape or form… it’s a joke all the way around.”

Look back at the last twenty years and see how often these folks “got it right” given that they have more resources than god at their disposal. If the facility you work at and the deep pockets of your backer are truly your only claim to fame, why on earth do you insist on a leadership position? What these folks have shown repeatedly is that no matter how much money they burn through, they can’t get it right… yet they insist on leading.

We will never have a competitive team with leadership where decisions are not merit based. Falling into a honey pot of wealth is not a merit based achievement.

4 members found this post helpful.

If the facility you work at and the deep pockets of your backer are truly your only claim to fame, why on earth do you insist on a leadership position?

This about sums it up.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

3 members found this post helpful.

Send a copy of your email asking for an explanation directly to Scott: scott@hasslerdressage.com
    good idea. i hope you do that. It's a reasonable question which deserves an answer.

2 members found this post helpful.

I will send an email to Scott Hassler. I still have no response from the USEF.

Here is a copy of the letter I sent them:

Hi Hallye,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I am wondering how you make your selections for these training sessions with no video? I thought the goal of these observation sessions is to seek out up-and-coming talented young horses and provide guidance for riders, trainers, and owners. How do you pick out talented young horses without ever seeing them?

A coming 4 year old can hardly be penalized for not having a show record (especially in the Northeast, in March) and in my case, I do have a successful (albeit small) record of training and competing a young horse in the 4 yr old classes; so I do not understand the selection criteria at all.

It does not seem to be a very fair selection process when the people selecting the up and coming talented young horses do not even see them prior to choosing who will be allowed to participate.

Kind regards,
    Eliza Rutherford

Very good points here. I hope you can follow up Eliza, and get a response. How can they judge merit without video? It definitely (in this case and others) seems to be "who you know" that drives some of the selection decisions when they should be merit/potential based.,

I just scratch my head over this whole situation. I would have NO issue whatsoever with not getting accepted if they had looked at videos and decided that there were other horses that fit their goals better than mine.

People keep talking about the disconnect between breeders and young horse trainers in this country. Well, I am a breeder and a professional young horse trainer. It would seem to me that is exactly the type of person that they would want to get enrolled in this program?? I know that there are plenty more like me out there that have access to a steady stream of young horses and the ability to bring them along.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartier View Post
    Look back at the last twenty years and see how often these folks “got it right” given that they have more resources than god at their disposal. If the facility you work at and the deep pockets of your backer are truly your only claim to fame, why on earth do you insist on a leadership position? What these folks have shown repeatedly is that no matter how much money they burn through, they can’t get it right… yet they insist on leading.
    Who are "these folks" and who is insisting on leadership position ? Leading what ?

Are you referring to USEF, Scott and the Young Horse program ? Then say so.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Eliza is this the same horse you posted video of with Michael Barisone last fall? If so you absolutely should have been chosen!! I do know that Scott in some way did review the applications. The whole thing seems a bit unorganized. I just gave up my Sunday ride since there was no stabling and I didn't want to truck my horse two days in a row. So maybe there's an open slot for you?? Although I know you are far away. Maybe Hallye will get back to you on Monday as she was out of the office today.

People keep talking about the disconnect between breeders and young horse trainers in this country. Well, I am a breeder and a professional young horse trainer. It would seem to me that is exactly the type of person that they would want to get enrolled in this program?? I know that there are plenty more like me out there that have access to a steady stream of young horses and the ability to bring them along.

It just doesn't work that way. They talk about it like it does, but it doesn't. There is no noticing anyone or helping anyone until you are already successful and winning and until you have already funded your own success. I really hate to sound like that is the reality. And then when you get to the top you really still have to help yourself 99 percent of the time. Steffen is still paying his way to compete in Europe and look at Heather Blitz, she has a top horse and she still cannot get funding to go to Europe to train.

Plus I think they have the "help" part all wrong. Instead of telling the people you want to help who they must ride with, give them the funding to ride with the coach THEY want to ride with. Spend the money helping with competition/horse expenses ect.

Hate to sound so negative but I can relate. Canada is even farther behind. We had a similar situation up here when Robert Dover was team coach. So basically you had to pay an arm and a leg (I think it cost me around $1500.00) to ride in this session only to be told that "hey, you are a talented rider but if you are serious about the sport you need to get out of Alberta" and that we all need to get down to his or another Olympian's barn in Florida/California and get into a program. It's like great, so I just payed how much to be told something that we all already know ? I mean it was fun to be part of the clinic but I just don't know why it was promoted by Dressage Canada as a "talent search" of sorts because Dressage Canada of course did not give anyone help to go down and train (even though one of the riders ended up going and made the WEG team).
    Who knows....
    Last edited by Donella; Apr. 5, 2013 at 09:43 PM.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I love this part too:
    American riders interested in being part of the 2013 Dressage Developing Program should plan to attend at least one of eight competitions selected for observation. At these competitions combinations will be observed by two selectors.
    Observation Competitions include:

• Gold Coast Opener CDI-W/1*/U25 - West Palm Beach, FL - January 17-20, 2013
    • Mid-Winter Dressage Fair CDI-3*/1* - Burbank, CA - February 21-24, 2013
    • WEF Dressage Classic CDI-3*/1*/U25 - Wellington FL - March 14-17, 2013
    • Del Mar National Del Mar CDI-3* - Del Mar, CA - April 25-28, 2013
    • Houston Dressage Society Spring Classic CDI-3*/1* - Katy, TX - April 25-28, 2013
    • USEF Developing Horse Championship - Wayne, IL - August 22-15, 2013
    • NEDA Fall Festival Saugerties CDI-W/3*/1* - Saugerties, NY - September 12-15, 2013
    • US Intermediaire I Dressage Championship - Lexington, KY - October 10-13, 2013
    2 in Florida, 2 in California, one each in Texas, Illinois, New York and Kentucky. That make for exceedingly difficult and expensive travel for smaller farms and hopeful riders.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Quote Originally Posted by XHalt View Post
    Eliza is this the same horse you posted video of with Michael Barisone last fall? If so you absolutely should have been chosen!!
    Thank you for your kind comment, but no it's not the same horse. The one I applied with is MUCH fancier than the one from the Michael Barisone clinic.

Herein lies my point - the powers that be do not know how talented or untalented my young horse is because nobody looked at him..... My beef is not about the fact that *I* did not get chosen, but rather about a selection process that doesn't seem to be the best it could be.
    Last edited by ticofuzzy; Apr. 5, 2013 at 09:29 PM.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    I love this part too: 2 in Florida, 2 in California, one each in Texas, Illinois, New York and Kentucky. That make for exceedingly difficult and expensive travel for smaller farms and hopeful riders.
    I wonder why they wouldn't accept video from other competitions? The locations they have listed do little to bust the stereotype of Dressage being accessible only to the wealthy.
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

My note wasn't about the Young Horse Clinics per se, but it is the same problem. These clinics are few and far between and so are the selection shows that the Developing Team goes out to visit. ONLY the BIG shows with the ALREADY big name riders.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I feel your pain!!! How about being asked if you're interested in participating and saying "yes!" right away (and btw, folks, it's not free!) and then a week later being told it's filled. Really? Like you didn't know it was full when you asked?!?! And this was a animal who had won a state title the year before as well as numerous year end awards, was ranked pretty high with USDF at his level, etc...etc... An Olympic hopeful, no, but a really nice quality animal with a proven track record his first year out. Frustrating.