The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default North Carolina proposing a state religion

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Filed on Monday, April 1.

I smell a fool.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I have to say...I've been job hunting and purposefully only been looking in Blue States because of the vibes that would even allow a bill like that to be thought up..ain't nobody got time for that sh!t!

Janet, it's real.

5 members found this post helpful.

Ahhh, I looked for a date...that would explain it. But it's really not funny.

Edited to Add: I've done a little investigating and it's not an April Fool's joke. The fools are actually in NC.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM.

3 members found this post helpful.

And when it's challenged a bunch of lawyers will get richer
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

3 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Further proof that I shall not be relocating south of the Mason-Dixon line, despite the charms evident from posters here from those locales. Boo on you, NC.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

4 members found this post helpful.

My understanding is that, before the USA became a sovereign country and this explains some of why the Constitution is worded as it is, several of the countries were designated as following one or another religion.
    You could not preach as a lutheran, would be taken to jail, if you were in a Baptist one.

The ones writing the Constitution were tired of all that religious fighting and that is the base of trying to keep religion out of government.

Google it, I am sure you can read a better explanation of that.

I hope we don't go back to that now, leave mandatory religion and it's persecution of anyone of other religions out of our society.
    I grew up under that nonsense and can say it is not a good idea.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Further proof that I shall not be relocating south of the Mason-Dixon line, despite the charms evident from posters here from those locales. Boo on you, NC.
    Are you even allowed to talk about the Mason-Dixon line, over in the wild, wet west?

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    My understanding is that, before the USA became a sovereign country and this explains some of why the Constitution is worded as it is, several of the countries were designated as following one or another religion.
    Great Britain had, and still has , an "established religioon", CoE.

Until approx the 1830s, you could not hold public office (including mayor, alderman, etc.) unlewss you took CoE communion at least oncd a year.

Many people left Britain, and emigrated to the new world, to avoid this. But they continued the practice, simply changing the identity of the "established" religion.

This is what the constitution/bill of rights was wordeed to avoid.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    And when it's challenged a bunch of lawyers will get richer
    Total waste of the taxpayers dollars. It's no different than those fools who insist on putting the ten commandments in government buildings. It caused a county in KY to go bankrupt...a poor county that could have used that money for its citizens.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good Lord I just moved here. Looks like I'm going to have to get politically active in this state!
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

5 members found this post helpful.

It's that tricky First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The crazies like freedom of speech (unless it's something that contradicts their beliefs) and petitioning the government...not such a fan of the right to assemble (OWS) or the requirement on establishment of religion. I guess they want to pick and chose which parts of the amendments apply to them.

So glad I don't live there anymore. What a disgusting piece of legislation from some backwoods religious wingnut politicians.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Good Grief People!!! A. Huffington used to be a rabid conservative until Bush the younger was elected. Then she changed to rabid liberal. Consider the source.

Congress men/women offer all sorts of bills all of the time. José Enrique Serrano D-NY US Representative has, every.two.years.since.1997, initiated a bill to repeal the 22nd admenment.

It.does.not.go.pass.the.proposal.
    Which is probably what will happen in NC.
    Check your own state's congress to see what bills YOUR representatives initiate.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Agreed - it'll never pass. We have a new republican governor and all of the republicans are "feeling their oats", IMO. The majority of the population is centered around two large cities and several big universities. See how fast the repubs will get voted out if they enact religion-based legislation or further waste the money of this already poor state...

ETA: that said, as a NC resident I'm highly agitated that my taxpayer-funded officials are wasting time with such legislative tripe. Time to write a letter...
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Well, this is the same bunch of jackasses who have proposed the following:

A bill that would create a Bible study elective for public high schools:
    http://www.wral.com/bill-would-creat...ools/12155972/

A bill that would ban coed dorms at UNC Chapel Hill:
    http://www.wral.com/bill-would-overr...c-ch/12296639/

A bill that would extend the mandatory one-year period before a couple can file for divorce to two years, and the couple must cohabitate during this two-year period: http://www.wral.com/senate-bill-woul...n-nc/12291236/

A bill that would remove the tax exemption for dependents who register to vote at any address other than their parents' home and require voters to have their vehicle registration address match their voter registration address, something that would mainly affect college students, who tend to vote for Democrats:
    http://www.wral.com/senate-bill-seek...vote/12298695/

A bill that would reduce early voting (no voting on Sundays) and eliminate same-day voter registration while making voting by mail-in ballot easier; it would also ban straight-ticket voting (SB 428, HB 451): http://www.wral.com/nc-naacp-other-g...mits/12283744/

A bill that would repeal the requirement that all motorcycle riders over age 21 wear helmets as long as they had $10,000 in medical insurance coverage:
    http://www.wral.com/helmet-law-rollb...ward/12270439/

It's a great time to be a North Carolinian, let me tell you. And yes, I voted, but not for any of these fools.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Don'f forget this bill passed in North Carolina that made it illegal for public officials to consider current rates of sea level rise as they plan for the future:
    http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenfield/rest_easy_outer_banks_sea_leve.html

Yes indeedy, there are some brilliant minds running that state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Don'f forget this bill passed in North Carolina that made it illegal for public officials to consider current rates of sea level rise as they plan for the future:
    http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenfield/rest_easy_outer_banks_sea_leve.html

Yes indeedy, there are some brilliant minds running that state.
    OOOOH, I'd forgotten about that particular gem.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Yes, we PNW folk stare across the country at the wild, wet and humid south with mildly alarmed and puzzled expressions quite frequently. Granted, there are pockets of radicalism up here in the left-hand corner of the map. We tend to ignore them unless they are elected officials!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!