The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

SLW-what the heck does it matter if I work in the medical field or not as to my opinion of Carson? Heck-I want to see his transcripts and original birth certificate.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnow View Post
    Is this a great country or what? We are free to debate the issues of the day and no one goes to jail.
    I agree but don't be disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    I agree but don't be disingenuous.
    I think this whole thread was started just to be able to knock Carson.

7 members found this post helpful.

Actually Noms I was hoping for some good debate. Sorry you got your feelings hurt.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't have an opinion on Carson as he hasn't been nationally noticeable long enough to know whether he's going to be a force or if he's just getting his 15 minutes.

I do want to say that I don't think that jumpnow was being disingenuous. We are free to agree to disagree. We are free to get passionate about it. I don't think we value that enough. To be able to come to a forum like this, and say what you think, without fear of repercussion, is priceless. It's well worth a celebratory statement every now and again. It's the only way that we're ever going to learn to listen to each other, and to value the opinions of others again. That's something that we are, sadly, forgetting how to do.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

3 members found this post helpful.

Actually Noms I was hoping for some good debate. Sorry you got your feelings hurt.
    I don't see a debate of ideas starting here. Dr. Carson's personal political views are not views that you share. No big deal.

However, you were outraged that he shared them at the non-denominational National Prayer breakfast but you were not outraged by the Easter Sunday sermon of Dr. Luis Leon or by Obama's minister of 20 years, Rev Wrights sermons. That's okay too. Just a difference of opinion of what you and I would expect from a church service.

Haha, debate consisting of the two topics dear to your heart, pro-gay marriage and your hatred of the christian religion.

If you want to start talking about the REAL issues facing this country and how Carson could be the one who could solve them, let me know. And by REAL issues I mean:

$17 trillion debt
    50 million on food stamps
    12% real unemployment
    Middle east knocking on our door
    Obamacare that will absolutely cripple the field of healthcare in the US
    SS Medicare Medicaid that are technically insolvent
    The constant attempts to raise taxes
    The increse of people on welfare and decrease of the middle class
    I could go on...............

6 members found this post helpful.

Oh and I forgot another absolutely unbelievable issue that will take the US to its knees if not addressed immediately:

The fed is printing money like crazy, keeping interest rates at near zero, and buying up treasuries by the billions. Next will be massive inflation the likes of which we have not experienced in our history. Now if you understand how this chain of events will unfold, then you would be very worried. Think the housing bubble was bad, you aint seen nothing yet.

6 members found this post helpful.

Noms-other than embarrasing himself and the President at the prayer breakfast, please share what other qualifications he has to be POTUS.

You obviously get your talking points from talk radio and that is okay too. We agree to disagree, remember? Just don't be so narrow minded.

From what did you infer I hate the christian religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post

And, the whole gay marriage thing baffles me. What is the stat, 4% of the US population is Gay. Its simply not an important issue for this country and yet is takes away from the total cluster f that is going on all around.
    of course it baffles you, you have all the rights of a straight person and you aren't discriminated against.

10 members found this post helpful.

Noms-other than embarrasing himself and the President at the prayer breakfast, please share what other qualifications he has to be POTUS.

You obviously get your talking points from talk radio and that is okay too. We agree to disagree, remember? Just don't be so narrow minded.

From what did you infer I hate the christian religion?
    His qualifications to be president ?

He is obviously smart
    Has a deep understanding of the ecomony
    Can add a great amount of experience to the fix Obamacare debacle
    He seems to be take self responsibility
    Great leadership ability after being head of neursurgery would

And, BTW he did not embarrass himself, only the prez.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    of course it baffles you, you have all the rights of a straight person and you aren't discriminated against.
    Excuse me. Gay people have all the rights of a straight person. They are free to marry anyone of the opposite sex if they choose. They want to create a totally new right. They just want to redefine a thousand year old tennant to suit their purposes!

Noms-I ask again, are you very young? Do you truly think this is true?

Excuse me. Gay people have all the rights of a straight person

Um, no they have NO rights. You do know there are many scholars who think Jesus was a homosexual? And that is factual but I am sure you will consider me bashing the christian religion.

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm just baffled that we still have a National Prayer Breakfast; non-denominational or not! Separation of Church and State my tuchus!

I have no desire to listen to a politician with any extreme religious views, especially when those views bleed helter-skelter into their politics! I'm not a fan of President Obama and I'm not a fan of Dr. Carson.

I have a huge amount of respect for religion and religious freedom, but the second that your freedom of religion infringes on my personal freedoms as a queer woman? We're going to have a problem. You can believe that my right to love or my right to my body is not something I should possess (and that is well within your rights to hold those opinions), but it is absolutely NOT within your right (being the collective you) to then impose those (largely religious) views on me by putting them into law.

Just because someone is in the minority and just because you don't think the issue doesn't affect you, apathy is not an excuse. It's very simple, either you believe that all people have the right to the same freedoms regardless of race, gender, age, sex, sexual orientation and gender identity, creed, and SES, or you don't. And if you don't, why do you have the right to take those freedoms away from others while demanding that yours stay well-preserved (or worse, insisting that one person having freedom to do the same as you infringes on *your* personal freedoms and rights)?

And Noms? Name-calling and getting uppity is not going to make people hear what you are trying to say. Nor is using slanted statistics. And just to make it clear, I did't (and wouldn't) vote for President Obama OR Governor Romney, so I have no dog in that fight.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

11 members found this post helpful.

Noms-I ask again, are you very young? Do you truly think this is true?

Excuse me. Gay people have all the rights of a straight person

Um, no they have NO rights. You do know there are many scholars who think Jesus was a homosexual? And that is factual but I am sure you will consider me bashing the christian religion.
    I will say this once again so you can understand. Gay people have the exact same rights that straight people have. Period. They are free to marry, they can marry someone of the same sex if they choose to. They just dont want to. Fine then. Go ahead and create gay civil unions so they can enjoy the benefits under the laws that are afforded married heteros. Just dont re-define "marriage". K.

5 members found this post helpful.

AGAIN, does any liberal on the BB care about the REAL issues facing this country? Care to debate the issues that the federal govt is actually responsible for, the ones outlined in the Constitution? Anyone?

4 members found this post helpful.

Noms-no one wants to debate someone so rigid and ill informed as you appear to be. Gracious-it is 2013 not 1413. FWIW I am not sure you have even read the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence. Something like All men are created equal......

I truly hope you are in still in high school and will continue to read and study.

11 members found this post helpful.

Punkie-kudos to you!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Excuse me. Gay people have all the rights of a straight person. They are free to marry anyone of the opposite sex if they choose. They want to create a totally new right. They just want to redefine a thousand year old tennant to suit their purposes!
    ...Wow...just...wow.

We do NOT have the same rights in this country and just so you're well-aware, this country also hasn't been around for "a thousand years" so no, we're not trying to "redefine a thousand year old tenant to suit [our] purposes!"

For the sake of this post, I'm going to assume you're a woman based solely on COTH member statistics. I am also going to assume you are a woman who identifies as heterosexual. If either of these things are incorrect, I apologize. We're also going to assume that M-theory is, in deed, correct and there is an infinite number of universes in which every permutation of our lives and the infinite number of lives which have, had, or will exist is possible. Based on that theory, there is hypothetically a universe in which the situation is exactly reversed. That homosexuality is the majority and heterosexuality is the minority. Now, let's assume for posterity that in this universe you still are exactly who you are (a woman who wants to only be with men). If someone came to you and said "Silly Noms! Of course you have the rights of everyone else...if you marry a woman!!"

Now, strictly speaking, this statement is as correct in that universe as the statement you made above is in this one. But how would you feel if the shoe were on the other foot and you were the one being told that if you want to have (very fundamental) rights as a married person, you MUST marry someone to whom you have no attraction, to whom you cannot force yourself to be attracted (no matter what the small minority might think), and whose gender you find sexually repulsive. Would you feel oppressed? Like less of a human? Like who you are doesn't "count"? That you are bad or wrong for being born the way you were born? Probably. Do you know how long it takes many non-heterosexual people to rise above that rhetoric and realize that it does get better?

I was fortunate not only to be born into a family and community that was 110% open and accepting, but also to be born as someone who is pansexual. This means that I do not love based on biological or identified gender. So I have had relationships with men, women, trans men, trans women, and those who are in transition. So in your narrow view, provided I found a heterosexual man I wanted to marry, I would be fine. But 90% of the people I love and cherish would not be, and that's not okay.

We're not asking anyone to change their beliefs (I don't believe in Jesus and I think the bible is just an incredible collection of old fables, but I'm not banging down the proverbial door of Washington demanding that there be law that prevents people from worshiping something I think is a bunch of hooey), we're just asking that they not impose their beliefs on us, legally or otherwise. Your (hypothetical) marriage doesn't hurt me one bit; and there's no reason that mine (hypothetical) should harm you.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

10 members found this post helpful.

no they do not. They do not have their marriage recognized across the USA.