The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 68 of 68
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    "Do you willingly not consume alcohol?" That was the question? The title of this thread?
    I apologize that the wording of the thread title was not to your liking. I was just curious if there many others out there that, like myself, choose to not consume alcohol. Nothing more to it than that, and I most certainly do not think there is anyone that could force me to drink. That's ridiculous.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov. 4, 2003
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia
    Posts
    16,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emily&Jake View Post
    Needless to say, my 21st birthday is coming up in a few months, and I will not be the one hanging over the toilet all night. There is nothing fun to that. I'll have a few wine coolers, but that will be it.
    Since you were a mere dream in your mama's mind when this came out, here is Bill Cosby from his monologue show "Himself" demonstrating in a very funny way, the same sentiment you just expressed--all summed up in a one-word-question "Purpose?"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYsko_tc3a0
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar. 7, 2012
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by propspony View Post
    HAHA! That was me too! There is an old family story that when I was 4 after the races one afternoon a family friend handed me their beer when I said I was thirsty. Apparently, I spit it out all over him and said indignantly with hands on hips: "That tastes like horse p***!!!" My opinion has never changed. ;-)

    I also have NO inclination to drink. It tastes nasty, and I can ALWAYS taste it, even in the slushy/frou-frou drinks. It also really upsets my stomach. No desire to EVER be drunk. Heck, I have a hard enough time walking straight when I'm sober. LOLOL!
    I am a minor, and therefore should not be drinking anyway, but I decided a couple years ago that I had no need to drink, ever. Here, teenagers drinking/getting drunk is very, very common. Alcoholism does run through my dad's genetics.

    Side note on the little kids, at a birthday party a couple years ago, there was a pitcher of margarita and a pitcher or lemonade. A family friend's daughter thought she would be helpful and pour her little brother a glass of lemonade, and grabs the wrong pitcher. We all loo over a second later to see the wackiest expression on his face!



  4. #64
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,445

    Default

    Alcoholism runs in my family, I stopped before DS was in utero and have not looked back.
    I will occasionally taste a sip of DHs beer, and it always reminds me I hate it.
    In college I drank for the wrong reasons, and I consider myself lucky to have been able to just stop.



  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2010
    Location
    yonder a bit, GA
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post

    My husband does not drink - for no particular reason - and it is shocking how many people ask if he is a recovering alcoholic.
    I do drink, very very very rarely get drunk (used to a ton in college), but lost my tolerance about the same time i started getting the worst hangovers, so i try to limit to 2-3 beers in a night, tops. Usually it's just the one. But i love a good amber ale.
    MrB doesn't drink because of his health- GI/Crohn's and it messes with his stomach. He will have the occasional drink, but it's pretty rare. Almost always people assume he doesn't drink because of alcoholism.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)



  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2011
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    4,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    I apologize that the wording of the thread title was not to your liking. I was just curious if there many others out there that, like myself, choose to not consume alcohol. Nothing more to it than that, and I most certainly do not think there is anyone that could force me to drink. That's ridiculous.
    I'm sorry Bedazzle, I was puzzled by you wording. I did not intend to be so harsh..
    Your point would have been immediately understood , if you had phrased your thread "Does anyone else on COTH choose to abstain from alcohol?" or "Are there any fellow teetotalers amongst you?".

    No ill will intended.



  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    8,467

    Default

    I just want you all to know that I am willingly not consuming alcohol right now. RIGHT NOW!
    The Knotted Pony

    Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.



  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec. 16, 2008
    Posts
    407

    Default

    I have never cared for it. Doesn't taste that great -- wine, beer, whisky, gin, etc. -- and I've never seen any reason to acquire a taste for something that costs more than twice as much as a soft drink and that can't be enjoyed as freely because it can leave you incapacitated.

    Alcohol doesn't quench my thirst; it makes me thirsty.

    Sherry and sweet red wine taste OK, I guess--but as a treat I'd rather have a Coke or a Dr Pepper or chocolate milk!
    Rack on!



Similar Threads

  1. poultice vs alcohol rub
    By Brooke in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun. 3, 2012, 08:25 PM
  2. Flagyl and alcohol
    By AliCat518 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Feb. 5, 2012, 09:43 PM
  3. Willingly stretching leather?
    By Justmyluck in forum Off Course
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan. 11, 2011, 04:23 PM
  4. Alcohol Blocks
    By spotteddrafter in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan. 3, 2011, 06:53 PM
  5. Ever miss an old barn you left willingly?
    By JohnDeere in forum Off Course
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Feb. 25, 2009, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •