The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

When I was very young I drank to excess often and I got tired of it. I'd say I have a drink about once a year, champagne at New Year's and that's about it.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I will drink occasionally, but I will not drink to get completely messed up. The most I have is one drink (nothing too strong) and maybe a few sips of something else, and that's it. I can easily sip on one drink over the course of a few hours.
    Needless to say, my 21st birthday is coming up in a few months, and I will not be the one hanging over the toilet all night. There is nothing fun to that. I'll have a few wine coolers, but that will be it.

I am not a drinker by choice and by condition. The mast cell disorder I have makes anything fermented verboten because it contains a ton of histamine which is a no-go for me. I can, in theory, have gin and vodka (distilled alcohol is fine), but I can't stand either. The last drink I had was a WEAK gin and seltzer on Thanksgiving. I had maybe 3 sips and I was all set. I can honestly say that it's not something I miss.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Funny story about drinking.
    One Christmas, years ago, someone brought one bottle of champagne.
    Since no one drinks, we flat forgot about that bottle.
    Next summer, they came by again and one morning, it was my birthday, right before they left early, about 7 am, someone remembered that bottle and we, on a lark, opened it and everyone had about a finger full in a glass.
    Would you know, a neighbor that rarely comes over happen to show up to ask about water lines.
    We of course offered him some champagne, that he graciously accepted, mind you, at 7 am, happy birthdays were sung and then everyone left.

No telling how that story went around in our small community.

I am very picky about what kind of alcohol I drink. No hard liquor. No beer.
    Mixed drinks, white wine, Champagne give me headaches. So do pretty much all the red Bordeaux (Cabernets et al).

I have a glass or 2 of red wine (Carignan, petite syrah or other light fruity reds) when dining out, mostly at friends' since we very rarely go to restaurants, and it happens so seldom that it barely "counts".

I don't think drinking wine in moderation, with a good meal, is a bad thing. Still, every year I go on a 3 to 6 months "cleansing" period when I don't drink any alcohol. This year my husband is doing it too without my saying anything, which I think is great.

Most of the time, I'd rather have a glass of good red wine than soda. I never could stomach soda, even as a kid. But water is my preferred drink.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

My family has alcohol issues on my fathers side. I drink rarely, maybe one glass of wine in a six month period, though I crack jokes about it when people ask why I'm not drinking. I'm a senior in college and though I have been 21 for my college time, I still get strange looks when I say that I don't drink or when I order water at restaurants/bars.

"You're over 21 though, why aren't you drinking?" or "Don't be lame" are pretty commonly said to me by people who don't know me. I hate being buzzed and have only been drunk a few times which were when I was a stupid teen. I just hate to be out of control, I do not enjoy it.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Me... I didn't drink till I was 21... never have been drunk... don't like being out of control... don't like how messed up it has made a few people that I know... I'm boring... and I already have an "expensive" hobby, I don't need to start trying to pay for alcohol, too. ;-)

Also being a widow with a young child who is "going to drive me to drink," I think I could become the world's fastest alcoholic!!! ;-)
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I think I've had 4 drinks my entire life (I'm 46). Alcoholism runs in both sides of my family, and my sister is a serious alcoholic. I've never liked the taste or smell, don't enjoy being with people who are drinking, and don't see the point really. I can make a complete *ss of myself totally sober, thank you very much.

However, I am addicted to sweets. And doesn't alcohol turn to sugar in your body? If that's true, I can see myself overdrinking IF I liked doing it.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Quote Originally Posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
    I accidentally tried beer when I was about 4 (grabbed the wrong cup) and haven't tried it since, nor do I have any intention to. That shit was nasty
    HAHA! That was me too! There is an old family story that when I was 4 after the races one afternoon a family friend handed me their beer when I said I was thirsty. Apparently, I spit it out all over him and said indignantly with hands on hips: "That tastes like horse p***!!!" My opinion has never changed. ;-)

I also have NO inclination to drink. It tastes nasty, and I can ALWAYS taste it, even in the slushy/frou-frou drinks. It also really upsets my stomach. No desire to EVER be drunk. Heck, I have a hard enough time walking straight when I'm sober. LOLOL!
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

No.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    I think I've had 4 drinks my entire life (I'm 46). Alcoholism runs in both sides of my family, and my sister is a serious alcoholic. I've never liked the taste or smell, don't enjoy being with people who are drinking, and don't see the point really. I can make a complete *ss of myself totally sober, thank you very much.

However, I am addicted to sweets. And doesn't alcohol turn to sugar in your body? If that's true, I can see myself overdrinking IF I liked doing it.
    That is curious, because I can't drink, it comes up right away and I also can't eat anything very sweet but a bite, then have to quit or it comes up, get very nauseated.
    I don't eat candy, desserts, ice cream or cakes/cookies and such but rarely.
    I can eat pure salt, like chips out of a 50 lb salt block and be fine.

Never thought both may be connected, interesting.

This is one scary thread ... as I pop open a nice, cold Bud
    ... It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Shwung

2 members found this post helpful.

I will rarely have a glass of wine or a mixed drink. I've had a bottle of wine in the fridge since January. I'll open it some evening I have a guest over that wants to have a glass, or take it to a party. I do enjoy a little splash of Kahlua if I have a cup of coffee in the evening. Don't think I have any in the house though. Actually, I'm pretty sure that bottle of wine is the only alcohol in the house.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Yup. I've never really cared for the taste. Occasionally I might have a fruity/sweet drink or something, as in once or twice a year, but that's about it.

To this day, I have never been drunk.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

1 members found this post helpful.

I have had trouble sleeping the past couple of years. And I would have a glass of wine or 2 every night with dinner. My doctor suggested no wine last June. So I quit. Now I sleep through the night and lost 12 lbs.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

I grew up with a relaxed family attitude toward alcohol - no drunks and no teetotallers (Irish, what are the odds) - and could never, ever get why everyone I knew in my 20s had such an obsessive attitude toward it. I had friends who basically acted like Amish kids on rumspringa from 18-30. And then they all quit and got married. Stepford Lives. Bizarre. I drank when I felt like it then, but barely drink at all now. Alcohol has, in the past few years, started having a really strong effect on my skin - I turn red, get splotchy, and it lasts for a few days. Mostly, margaritas aren't worth it.

I used to drink more often but now its a couple times a year. I never feel pressured to drink when others are.

I have never understood how people can drink and still.get anything accomplished. Me, I gotta take a nap LOL!

If I do its deep dark red wine like cabernet or montepulciano, bitter ales like IPA or even Mirror Pond Pale Ale. Summer, vodka soda with lots if lime and some cranberry juice.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I never liked the taste and never saw the point of learning to like the taste.

It's really odd how different demographics react to non drinkers. When I lived in the midwest, the assumption was that I was a devote member of a non-drinking sect. People would then be really surprised to find me drinking tea (nope, not Mormon,) eating a hamburger (nope, not Seventh Day Adventist,) or cussing like a sailor (nope, not Baptist, Methodist, or any other sect either.)

When I moved from the Bible belt to the Irish belt, my new associates assumed I didn't drink because I was a recovering alcoholic. Then they'd be really surprised to find me in a bar nursing a cranberry juice while listening to the band.

Rather oddly, as a non-drinker I actually found the easiest company to be the recreational druggies. They were totally cool with the idea that someone might not want to drop acid, smoke pot, or snort coke. They'd all dealt with enough bad trips. Nothing ruins the fun like spending the night in the ER with someone having a major freakout. If someone said, "nah, not a good idea for me," they weren't going to push the issue. Plus it was handy to have a sober person around to do the driving!

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    *raises hand*

Me. I'm kind of a control freak, and I HATE the way that it makes me feel. Even just one so I don't drink it. I honestly never had any pressure in high school or college to drink either. If I said no thanks, people respected it and didn't ask again.

DH usually has a beer when he gets home, and I make him brush his teeth or chew some gum before he kisses me. Blech.
    Same here. Except my DH doesn't drink either. He's been unfortunate enough to be the victim of someone else's drunk driving twice and now has permanent back injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    I'm in my mid twenties, and I just dislike alcohol. I have no desire for it, I don't enjoy it socially, it doesn't taste good, and I would willingly never consume it again. Anyone else?
    "Do you willingly not consume alcohol?" That was the question? The title of this thread?

Yes, I "willingly do not consume alcohol" often. When I am not having dinner that requires a decent wine to perfect it, or at the end of a summer evening when a refreshing G/T is a perfect drink.
    Otherwise I "willingly consume it". If you feel that anyone can make you "unwillingly" consume alcohol, then you should discuss this with people who feel the same peer pressure as you do, and it is a good thing for you to have raised the subject.

As a matter of of fact I cannot UNWILLINGLY consume alcohol unless someone tied me down ,put a tube down my esophagas and poured it in..

I have nothing against teetotalers, tolerant ones. I also share the dislike of watching people make drunken fools of themselves.

As my Grandmother said , "it's OK to be young and stupid most everyone has been (she was not referring to teenage young, but 20's age young) , it's being old and stupid for which there is no excuse".
    She drank G/T in the summer and Scotch in the winter and never was a fool.
    I miss her very much.
    Last edited by skydy; Apr. 4, 2013 at 03:42 AM.