The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I do drink but only when/what I want to. I used to give into peer pressure, but now refuse to. I don't like beer, and I don't like red wine. I used to let people force me to drink cheap beer, but no more. If you are going to force me to drink so I can act like an idiot with you then I don't think I'll be your friend for much longer. Having said that, I do love a good girlie cocktail, glass of white wine, or cider.
    Last edited by Event4Life; Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    And I have a low tolerance for people who drink too much. How is that kind of behavior fun? Oh well. To each his own.
    I agree with you saddleup. And this trait has really seemed to limit the selection of men in my area. Another thing to make dating/single life harder. I won't date someone who drinks with the intention to get drunk. I also won't date a smoker.

I am one of those who can count on one hand the number of alcoholic beverages consumed in a year. Always with a meal and generally at a nice restaurant on a special occasion.

3 members found this post helpful.

So glad to see I'm not alone! I sometimes feel as if I am the only non-drinker around!

Well, that isn't strictly true, as my DH doesn't drink either, but sometimes I feel as if we are alone in a sea of drinkers.

I love the taste of beer, love white wine, never have liked the hard stuff. BUT, my dad drank himself to death in 2006, and it wasn't pretty. My relationship with alcohol has always been that I drank more when I hung out with friends who did, but I've *never* liked getting drunk.

After my divorce, I was hanging with a crowd that drank - a lot. (If you can be "hanging with a crowd" when you are 40! ) Still didn't like the feeling of being drunk myself, but went along, and was drinking more than I was comfortable with. "Just" wine and beer, but still.

When I met my DH, who didn't drink and hadn't for more than 20 years - I made the decision to give it up. I would never have described myself as having a "problem" with alcohol, and believe me, I know what that looks like! I've been happy about that choice, and haven't missed it.

We do cook with it, but I don't serve it at my house. I don't care if someone brings their own though.

Once you step away from it, you really begin to think "just what about that is a good idea?!" I do like the taste of beer and wine, but I don't like the effects. And the people who say "oh, I need it to relax/calm my inhibitions/get over a rough day" -- I always stopped myself from going down that road when I did drink, as then it seems it is being used as a crutch, and if that is the way I feel, then I need to examine my problems and see what issue needs work, rather than damping it down with alcohol.

But, I'm kinda strange -- have never smoked pot or been around anyone who was. My thoughts on that, and on "getting really messed up" have been: "Why?! My brain is screwy enough on its own!!"
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Seems sane enough to me My father worked as a drug rehab councelor when I was younger, so we definitely got to see the worst of the worst as far as what drug use will do to you.

I studied in depth the actual medical and mental effects of drugs, and the bottom line is today's pot is something like 100 times stronger then what my parents generation was smoking in the 60's - and no matter what the pot smoking community would like you to believe, it DOES have both physical and mental long term reprocussions.

I don't judge my friends on their use - though I do prefer they don't smoke it around me, and I don't allow it on my property.

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    But, I'm kinda strange -- have never smoked pot or been around anyone who was. My thoughts on that, and on "getting really messed up" have been: "Why?! My brain is screwy enough on its own!!"

Good for those of you who don't drink! I am finding myself in the position of not wanting to drink as much as I have in the past. I love beer and wine (but not swill - only good microbrews or wineries will do . . . which gets expensive).

I can have only 1 beer and be good, but I love the taste of wine and it doesn't fill me up, so I end up drinking more than I want to/intend to. Lately, though, it has affected my sleeping and my waking up in that I don't wake up feeling well. I sleep uninterrupted when I don't drink. When I do drink I fall asleep very easily but then wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep! I used to never get hangovers but now it doesn't make me feel so great so I'm going more time without drinking at all - which is probably a good idea, considering my father is an alcoholic.
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I don't like the taste or smell of alcohol so do not drink it.

Do I feel like I'm missing out on anything? No.

Alcohol is a toxin -- there's no need to put it in your body.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I don't like the taste or smell of alcohol so do not drink it.

Do I feel like I'm missing out on anything? No.

Alcohol is a toxin -- there's no need to put it in your body.
    Totally right!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

No alcohol since 1990.
    I would not say "willingly" at first
    But now, could not imagine it (thankfully)
    The smell makes me gag.

Quote Originally Posted by Far_North_Equestrian View Post
    Seems sane enough to me My father worked as a drug rehab councelor when I was younger, so we definitely got to see the worst of the worst as far as what drug use will do to you.

I studied in depth the actual medical and mental effects of drugs, and the bottom line is today's pot is something like 100 times stronger then what my parents generation was smoking in the 60's - and no matter what the pot smoking community would like you to believe, it DOES have both physical and mental long term reprocussions.

I don't judge my friends on their use - though I do prefer they don't smoke it around me, and I don't allow it on my property.
    FINALLY! Someone who has the same views on marijuana as myself. I hate the attitude of "Don't panic! It's organic." I don't see the purpose for legalizing something which has some serious physical and mind altering affects. And these affects certainly aren't outweighed by the "medicinal properties.

A lot of people's attitude seems to be that it's totally harmless and it's not. I had a guy as a patient who actually smoked so much pot he made his body toxic and suffered from a condition called canniboid hyperemesis. He was in the hospital more often than not. And he was truely addicted to the stuff and couldn't stop. So sad that today's culture seems to be spreading the popularity of something that, in my opinion, should be illegal. There are much healthier alternatives for your life than recreational drugs.

I made a personal decision when I was 15, and have stuck to it ever since. Guess I am a control freak too.

I took a drama course while in college, and one of our exercises was to portray a drunk person. Teacher was very impressed with my performance, but hey when you are the sober one on the sidelines watching the ones who are drunk, you can mimic rather well
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

I needed this thread so badly today!

I drink more than most of you... a couple drinks a month. It used to be margaritas (1 for me) and dinner with the girls or a night out that would include 2-3 drinks max about once a month. I don't drink beer or wine, I'm a lightweight, I'm cheap when I feel like I'm wasting my money, and I really hate the feeling of being drunk.

But I'm now living in Costa Rica with 3 other girls who drink quite a bit. They used to go out (and going out means getting drunk- pregame then shots and drinks out) 4+ days a week and now it's 1-2. I excuse myself as much as possible, but being so isolated here I know I can't exclude myself all the time. I try to put limits on how much I drink so I can at least go to bed without feeling sick.

Last night was kind of the last straw for me. We all went out to a concert and I very much enjoyed my 1 and a half drinks over 5 hours. I had a good time (with the exception of getting to bed at 3am on a work night), but one of my roommates just got trashed. It was very unattractive and made me uncomfortable.

It's hard balancing my only real social life with my distaste for excessive alcohol. This thread reminded me that my feeling are legitimate and completely acceptable. Thank you!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

I rarely drink. I have a bottle of wine in my fridge that I bought four months ago, still unopened! I have a pretty limited list of liquor I like but usually opt against it.

Exactly! You know what else is Organic? Belladonna. Sure, it has certain theraputic effects in teeny tiny ammounts (like in a homeopathic tincture) but if you were to eat or smoke any part of the plant, you'd DIE!

Hemlock - deadly poison - but ITS ORGANIC!

Shrooms - THEY'RE ORGANIC TOO!

And don't get me started on that Salvia shit... It does more lasting damage then dropping real acid in some cases.

There is one case for me in which the medical MJ arguments hold water - TERMINAL CANCER PATIENTS. They're probably going to die anyway, and probably do need the pain killing properties and definitely need the "urge to eat" properties. And it's probably better then taking heavy painkillers.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    FINALLY! Someone who has the same views on marijuana as myself. I hate the attitude of "Don't panic! It's organic." I don't see the purpose for legalizing something which has some serious physical and mind altering affects. And these affects certainly aren't outweighed by the "medicinal properties.

It was a trade-off choice for me—a drink at night equals a 24-hour migraine the following morning. Sometimes it's worth it. Most of the time, it's not. I do miss wine, microbrews and G&Ts, though!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

I believe I'm a super taster because alcohol actually tastes spoiled/rotten to me.

My favorite drink, that I never finish, is a margarita with lots of salt.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I accidentally tried beer when I was about 4 (grabbed the wrong cup) and haven't tried it since, nor do I have any intention to. That shit was nasty
    "I think animal testing is a terrible idea, they get all nervous and give silly answers."
    -fry & laurie

Glad I'm not the only one who finds alcohol unappealing! I used to try various drinks occasionally--champagne at a wedding, a mixed drink on a date, whatever. I just can't do it, I hate the taste! Even the "sweet" stuff tastes nasty and fermented to me, and I find I can taste it in anything, even the "you don't even know it's alcoholic" drinks (which, what's the point?!). And particularly in college, everyone was all weird about it if a group went out and I wasn't drinking. It's like I was trying to hold the moral high ground or judge them for having a glass of wine or something, which I wasn't at all. I just don't like it--the same way that if we went out to eat and they ordered a spinach quiche, I wouldn't like it and wouldn't want to try it.

I also don't enjoy the "going out" culture of sitting in a bar or club and drinking. I'm an introvert, noisy large groups just don't appeal! It would be harder not to drink if I did enjoy that type of event, I think.

My parents are the same way--my dad will have a dark beer with pizza or tacos at a restaurant, but we never keep it at home, and my mom can't drink more than a few sips of wine before feeling ill.
    The hooves of the horses! Oh witching and sweet is the music earth steals from the iron-shod feet. Will Ogilvie

I was a big drinker in my 20s and 30s. Almost a problem drinker, in that I enjoyed drinking to excess. It did not interfere with my work and career, and I never came to any bodily or mental harm from it. At least not that I know of yet!

I didn't stop for any particular reason. But farm life, and being solely responsible for my horses' care, just doesn't leave any room for alcohol. I don't have the time. I don't have the money. I don't have the inclination really. A nice glass of wine after chores are done? I will doze off after two sips and waste the glass. A beer on a hot day before all chores are done? Wow do those chores become difficult!

In my drinking days, I could drink most people under the table. Now I feel goofy after one. So except for maybe two or three times per year, I just don't do it.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

They say that a little red wine is good for you! I'll go along with that,
    but one, at most two, glasses, when out at an occasional restaurant is the best I can do.

My husband does not drink - for no particular reason - and it is shocking how many people ask if he is a recovering alcoholic.

I guess we are all in good company here and can be proud of it. Besides, it is bloody expensive.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Wonders12 View Post
    I needed this thread so badly today!

I drink more than most of you... a couple drinks a month. It used to be margaritas (1 for me) and dinner with the girls or a night out that would include 2-3 drinks max about once a month. I don't drink beer or wine, I'm a lightweight, I'm cheap when I feel like I'm wasting my money, and I really hate the feeling of being drunk.

But I'm now living in Costa Rica with 3 other girls who drink quite a bit. They used to go out (and going out means getting drunk- pregame then shots and drinks out) 4+ days a week and now it's 1-2. I excuse myself as much as possible, but being so isolated here I know I can't exclude myself all the time. I try to put limits on how much I drink so I can at least go to bed without feeling sick.

Last night was kind of the last straw for me. We all went out to a concert and I very much enjoyed my 1 and a half drinks over 5 hours. I had a good time (with the exception of getting to bed at 3am on a work night), but one of my roommates just got trashed. It was very unattractive and made me uncomfortable.

It's hard balancing my only real social life with my distaste for excessive alcohol. This thread reminded me that my feeling are legitimate and completely acceptable. Thank you!
    I hear ya, and been there done that. I was exactly the same way when I volunteered in South Africa. I just got used to going out earlier in the evening and leaving around 11/12 when people started getting really wasted. It sometimes p*ssed me off though because they'd coming in banging doors at 3AM when we had to be at school by 8.30 the following morning. Luckily a few meetings with the head supervisor stopped that pretty quickly. I then moved housing to live with the other long term volunteer who also didn't drink on school nights, so I finally had a buddy to split the taxi ride with and gang up on everyone else when they were acting like drunken fools.

Not much advice but mainly commiseration. Here's hoping you find more like minded people to hang out with. Feel free to PM if you need to vent more about the challenges of living in a foreign, undeveloped touristy area/country as a non tourist and fairly permanent resident. Again, been there and done that!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey