The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you willingly not consume alcohol?

I'm in my mid twenties, and I just dislike alcohol. I have no desire for it, I don't enjoy it socially, it doesn't taste good, and I would willingly never consume it again. Anyone else?

4 members found this post helpful.

Ditto. Never liked the taste of any of it. Wine gives me a headache the size of Mt. Everest. No desire for it whatsoever. Totally comfortable with a Coca-Cola or 7-Up in my hand.

However, I do cook with wine for flavor and use rum or other mild liqueor in certain/rare baking recipes.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't like straight liquor, don't like beer, don't like most wines. I did find a Moscato from Olive Garden that I like (and I can get much cheaper at Food Lion). I like mixed drinks that don't taste like the alchohol and they could even leave it out. I drink if I want to, which is not often.

Oh, and I have some Bailey's Irish Creme at home that I occasionally add to coffee in the evenings. Alchohol apparently crosses out the caffeine in the coffee

*raises hand*

Me. I'm kind of a control freak, and I HATE the way that it makes me feel. Even just one so I don't drink it. I honestly never had any pressure in high school or college to drink either. If I said no thanks, people respected it and didn't ask again.

DH usually has a beer when he gets home, and I make him brush his teeth or chew some gum before he kisses me. Blech.

5 members found this post helpful.

Yeah about the only alcohol I like is Moscato d'Asti, and even then I get a massive headache after drinking it (I'm sure its the sugar). But I never have wanted to drink to get drunk, or to feel the alcohol, I don't enjoy that feeling.

*raises hand*

Me. I'm kind of a control freak, and I HATE the way that it makes me feel. Even just one so I don't drink it. I honestly never had any pressure in high school or college to drink either. If I said no thanks, people respected it and didn't ask again.

DH usually has a beer when he gets home, and I make him brush his teeth or chew some gum before he kisses me. Blech.

I don't drink at all either. Don't enjoy the taste of any of it and I have zero tolerance for alcohol. Half of a drink of any type and I probably couldn't tell you what my name was, LOL!
    I bartended in my youth and didn't drink then either.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I had a glass of wine at a wedding when I was in my late teens (some 30 odd years ago) and never any since. I was raised without alcohol in the house (Southern Baptist) and never had any interest in drinking. We still have no alcohol in the house. Some close relatives are in AA, some are just drunks not in AA. I have no desire to get into the whole drinking thing. Three teenage kids, one about to turn 20, none of whom drink that I know of.

Will be 30 years mid-July of this year and I DO like the taste and smell all to well. The only alcohol I have taken since is in medications that are more stable made that way AND a doctor had to insist long and loud that I take it.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    *raises hand*

This is pretty much me, too. I'll have a sip once in a very great while, but I just plain don't care for the stuff.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Me. I haven't had alcohol for about 10 years now. I did used to have a drink when I went out but suddenly I realised I wasn't actually enjoying myself anymore, hate the feeling of being tipsy/drunk and hate feeling rough afterwards, and I decided I had better things to spend my money on anyway

1 members found this post helpful.

I do not drink by choice. My mother was an alcoholic secondary to mental illness. My older brother was a raging alcoholic also secondary to mental illness. He went through numerous rehabs, only to lapse within a few days of release. Finally, in the end of 2011, he went down the stairs, drunk, and broke his neck and that was it. With this kind of family history, I stay away from alcohol, although I cook with it on a regular basis and am happy to serve alcohol at my house. Doesn't bother me if other people want to drink in moderation. I just don't feel comfortable starting down that path with my genetics.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'll have the occassional glass of wine in the evening at home but if I'm going out such as out to dinner or some other function, I don't drink at all. I used to drink and realized I just didn't enjoy the way it made me feel afterward and basically it's a waste of money in my book. I don't need alcohol to have a good time.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I can count on one hand the number of drinks I have in a year. I'm just not one to think to myself, "gee, a drink would taste good right now."

I don't like beer, wine for me is reserved for meals, and it's kind of tough to fit the harder stuff into a busy lifestyle. Plus when DH and I go somewhere, one of us has to drive. (He's not a big drinker either).

I do not feel as though I am missing anything.

I don't have a choice.
    Any alcohol that goes into my stomach, in a few minutes comes right back up and violently.

I can handle a bit of very watered down wine, but I rather not even try, there is other ways to flavor water that doesn't has alcohol in it.
    We used to make our own wine, had grapes on the edges of cultivated fields on the terraces, but I never could drink it.

Just think, some people can tell you all about a wine, what grapes were used and even from which year and region, which kind of wood in the barrels and such.

I never had a chance to try other than taste what all is there in alcohol drinks.
    Most really tastes evil, other than some fruit liqueurs, like Cointreau and such.

I don't care at all for the taste of beer so I don't drink that. I may have a mixed drink once or twice a year but I don't like to get drunk and even a small amount of alcohol leaves me feeling dehydrated and with a headache so mostly I don't bother.

Yup! I have never been a fan, MAybe a half a glass of wine at Christmas, but even that I can do without. Just don't feel the need.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Red face

I don't drink either. It just makes me sleepy. Just tasting wine puts me in church, so that's a no go. I think if you can be genetically predisposed to alcoholism, then I'm the opposite. Interestingly my Mother, Father, brother, sister, and one child are this way. I tried to drink beer a few times but just can't stand the taste. Some say you just have to drink it until you like it but I figure that I have enough bad habits and don't need to actively cultivate one that doesn't come naturally. LOL

I have no moral dislike of it, though people who drink to get drunk just seem like the stupidest people in the world. I have never understood that thinking. So I don't go to bars. Though last year we went with my dh's sister and some of her friends to Key West. I have never been in so many bars in my life. I wandered around outside and took lots of pictures while they drank their way through the days. Just didn't get it. The servers would just give me that "look" when I ordered a coke.

I don't drink, either. Can't take pain meds as well. Doesn't agree with my system at all.

And I have a low tolerance for people who drink too much. How is that kind of behavior fun? Oh well. To each his own.

I just can't be bothered.

I don't need to be drunk to go out and have a good time - if anything I get in more trouble sober because my friends "knew I wasn't drunk" so they let me do whatever dumbass thing I did. I was slightly drunk exactly once - and while it was fun, now I've done it and don't need to again (didn't like how I felt the next day either).

No moral dislike here, but I can remember my parents having drinks maybe only a handful of times growing up, and just didn't feel the need. Also, beer and wine make me gag. The only way it's even palatable is as a mixed drink of some kind.

Bottom line for me is the sheer cost of it really. It's the difference for me between going out and spending $20 on sodas and cover, and going out and spending $100+ on drinks and a cab home. I can't afford that!

I do have some friends that don't really respect my "happy sober" mentality - so on the rare occasions I do go out with them I set myself up as the DD, or have 1 drink at the begining of the night (1 drink does nearly nothing to me) and back to water or soda for the rest. Also, I don't go out with those friends so much anymore.