The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please send prayers and jingles for my kitty, "Bo Jackson"?

For some unknown reason, "Bo Jackson" decided to eat a pair of my husbands' earbuds. He had thrown up one of them day before yesterday. We took Bo in to the Vet yesterday. Upon x-ray, they found that the other one was lodged in the opening of his small intestine, which is why he was vomiting digested food.

My DH rushed him to a Vet hospital in Cincy. He was hoping that it could be removed through an endoscopy procedure. Nope. They had to open his abdomen, then cut a slit in his small intestine to remove it.

They called us at 9:30 last night to let us know that he survived the surgery. They tested for leakage and did not find any. Thank the Good Lord! He will stay there for a couple of days, then will have to be confined to a crate for two weeks.

The power of COTH jingles and prayers has worked in the past. Would you please pray or jingle for him? I imagine his recovery will not be an easy one. "Bo Jackson" was appropriately named. He is the most athletic cat that has ever been part of my family. Our dog will not fetch, but Bo will. He is only 3 years old.

If any of you have experience with one of your animals going through this type of surgery, would you give me some helpful hints for getting Bo through his recovery?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Get a crate if you don't have one already. Do not take him out of it at all during the recovery period. He will adjust. Jingles for a full recovery.

I made a tshirt type thing for Oliver when he was recovering from major abdominal surgery. I used a sleeve from one of my old tshirts, cut holes for legs. It helped protect the incision as the cone of shame wasn't 100% effective. Second the idea of a crate.

Lots of Jingles from Massachusetts for Bo!!!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

jingles for Bo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Many jingles for Bo Jackson's full, prompt recovery.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Jingles for Bo! What IS it about their having to eat plastic! Mine is always gnawing on plastic bags if he can. Hope your kitty is 100% AOK.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Sending vibes from my 4 kitties in KY!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

More vibes coming from me, and the five felines, from NY. And, yes, a crate just big enough for him, a small litter pan plus food and water dishes is going to be a must. May you never, ever, need it again after Bo is all better.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Poor kitty! Jingles.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Jingles

My boys Tiger and Sampson send their happy kitty thoughts!

Jingles for Bo!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Thank you for all of your jingles and suggestions. Because of our dog, we already have a couple of crates. I would never have thought to use a T-shirt sleeve to prevent Bo from getting at his stitches. Even though he will be wearing the cone, I imagine that he will try to figure out a way to beat the system.

The good news is that the Vet is letting Bo come home tonight. He ate some food several times during the day and kept all of it down. He has already become a favorite at the Vet Med surgery center. He has been quite affectionate to the staff and surgeons. Keeping him quiet for 2 weeks will be a challenge.

Once again, COTH jingles have come through. Thank you again for jingling for Bo.

1 members found this post helpful.

I just checked the Menagerie for the first time in a while and my eyes lit up at the name Bo Jackson. So glad that he is coming home tonight! Do everything you can to keep him from those sutures--if he's as athletic as his namesake, it will take cunning and hypervigilance...luckily if all goes well, this too shall pass and he'll be out and prowling about in no time

Prayers being sent up for a gentle and complete recovery for your beloved Bo Jackson. He is so fortunate to have you for his people; you obviously love him very much. Take care and Bless You All.

The last time I had to put the cone of shame on a cat, I bought an inflatable one. I don't think they would work for everything, but I definitely liked it better than the plastic cone.

I had a kitten break her leg at the hock a few years ago, and she needed total confinement for two weeks. I got a rather stylin' rabbit hutch that had been modified for cats, by adding a little shelf, and she got to go in the living room, off the floor, so she could at least see what everyone was doing. She liked it better than the cage, and could get away from her litter pan.

Good news that Bo is coming home!
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Jingles for Bo

Within 5 minutes of picking Bo up from MEDVET, he had the cone off. My DH managed to get it back on him so that he did not take it off during the night.

He has peed and eaten, which are good signs. He is now wearing the T-shirt sleeve, because he could not drink any water with the cone around his neck.

lovey1112,

Yes, Bo is very athletic, just like "Bo Jackson" from Auburn. He is a little powerhouse. His brother is tall, lanky and a klutz. He will watch Bo tightrope walk across the back of a kitchen chair, then try to follow him. He always falls off in a most undignified way.

In 2010, when I was going through radiation for a squamous cell cancer on my face, Bo kept me entertained. He always makes me laugh with his antics. Laughter is good for what ails you!

Originally, I had named Bo, "Boo Boo". His brother learned his name, "Raccoon", in no time. Two weeks past and "Boo Boo" would not come for his name. He was such an athletic cat that my DH and I decided to call him "Bo Jackson". Within 2 days, Bo answered to that name. Smart cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Within 5 minutes of picking Bo up from MEDVET, he had the cone off. My DH managed to get it back on him so that he did not take it off during the night.

He has peed and eaten, which are good signs. He is now wearing the T-shirt sleeve, because he could not drink any water with the cone around his neck.

lovey1112,

Yes, Bo is very athletic, just like "Bo Jackson" from Auburn. He is a little powerhouse. His brother is tall, lanky and a klutz. He will watch Bo tightrope walk across the back of a kitchen chair, then try to follow him. He always falls off in a most undignified way.

In 2010, when I was going through radiation for a squamous cell cancer on my face, Bo kept me entertained. He always makes me laugh with his antics. Laughter is good for what ails you!

Originally, I had named Bo, "Boo Boo". His brother learned his name, "Raccoon", in no time. Two weeks past and "Boo Boo" would not come for his name. He was such an athletic cat that my DH and I decided to call him "Bo Jackson". Within 2 days, Bo answered to that name. Smart cat!
    Bo knows....

Sheesh lady!

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Alagirl,

Yes. I do not know how I could have forgotten that one. "Bo knows"!