The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I post on Ultimate Dressage and this forum was referred to as "the other forum" so I went looking.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I as looking for a horse a long time ago, ran across COTH, lurked for a while, and occasionally post.

I post because there is a wealth of information here and I have learned a lot.

Plus, being the sap I am, I love the "rest of the story" threads and when people come together for a good cause.

Trainwrecks and such I just avoid
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post

I've stayed, all these years, and watched members come and go. Some I miss, a lot, and some I am very glad to have seen the tail end of. I hang around because I still enjoy the conversations, though, these days, I tend to post more on Off Topic days than at any other time. The depth of information, and the intellect of so many of the posters here, just blows me away.

The main reason I stay, though, is that, in spite of all of the train wrecks and sometimes downright nasty postings, when there is need, I have seen COTHers pull together, time and again. How can you not respect a place like that?
    I agree Louise.
    I too had just got my first computer, and the whole concept of a horse bb was astonishing to me.
    I lurked for a long time, but joined not too long after those early days.
    COTH has been a valuable community for me - there are people here I would not have met otherwise, who I value greatly and who have become actual real time friends - (like Louise herself).
    There have been moments of such kindness and generosity, that have made me so happy to belong to this community.
    There have also been some pretty nasty fights, which, if nothing else, provided entertainment for those of us on the sidelines.
    It has also been a very valuable resource of information, and for us breeders information as well as sympathy, encouragement and understanding.
    I find the OT days fun, for the most part. I am intriqued by the vast range of knowledge and experience of some of the COTH members.
    On the other hand, some of the topics on OT days have shown another side of some members, and that has been saddening.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I was active on an old, long gone bb about warmbloods. One day a post popped up saying that COTH had set up a bb and that we were all invited to go check it out. I went immediately and was the VERY FIRST member and poster! How cool is that? Been here ever since.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    I was active on an old, long gone bb about warmbloods. One day a post popped up saying that COTH had set up a bb and that we were all invited to go check it out. I went immediately and was the VERY FIRST member and poster! How cool is that? Been here ever since.
    I hope you are an honorary premium member, don't have to pay for that service.

Nope. I pay like everyone else. And am happy to do so.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Pretty cool!

Wow, Sonesta. At least your name should appear in gold! Or something.

I signed up when I was snowed in over the holidays with some relatives and looking for a little distraction. Mission accomplished!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow Sonesta, that's impressive!

I don't remember why I joined but I know why I stay. I'm here because we all have something in common, our passion for horses. I come from a non-horsey family (they don't even understand my love but that's another thread) and because there's just something about this Forum that I like. The wealth of information is astonishing. I post because I'd like to think that what I write helps someone out somewhere at some point.

Just like life, there are things here that I agree with, and some I vehemently oppose but at the end of the day I'd like to think it's all a learning experience.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

It is very informative.

COTH knows most all the most update info out there.

Very funny. Some people here are SO funny.

Also when the train wrecks go on, the boxed wine drinking can commence. Also some popcorn.

I willingly choose TO drink, not, willingly not to drink. Alcohol, that is.

Currently drinking herb tea.

Carry on.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was a lurker for a long time first. I was referred by my friend/mentor/trainer who knew I was nerdy and loved to read up on and discuss horsey minutia endlessly. As I used the interwebs more, I ended up on COTH threads via google more and more often and was generally impressed by the quality of the information.

Eventually, I registered and eventually I posted. I'm not really sure why I started posting more, except that I do know in times I haven't been able to get out and ride as much, COTH has been an amazing salve - and was an even better one when I was working with horses everyday but wasn't working with very horsey people (now that's a lonely predicament!). I also love that I can "stay in touch" with segments of horse culture that aren't part of my horse life right now. And I still plan on hunting someday. Where else can you be a fly on the wall in hunt clubs thousands of miles away!

I've spent very little time on other boards, but aside from home repair threads my overall impression is COTH is more civilized and less off the rails. And when it does derail, the jokes are better.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

I found it when I was googling for information on something, I've forgotten what, and a COTH thread came up.

I kept reading for both education and the entertainment value.

I think I posted for the first time because someone asked a question regarding something about which I had first-hand knowledge.

I think a friend told me about COTH? Through FB? I honestly don't really remember .... I stick around because I find it to be very informative (and sometimes entertaining ). Usually if I google a topic, a COTH thread is near the top of the list.

I pretty much just lurk. I know I'm a "beginner" in the horse world and I'd rather not make a fool out of myself. I chime in every so often, but mostly see this place as a great learning tool and huge community. It's a wonderful resource, especially when you come from a non-horse family!

I started out on other forums back in the late 90s. So many of them revolved around personal drama and I as a totally horse-nerd youth I wanted to read about horses not people. I was on horsecity for years and COTH was discretely referred to as "The other forum" or some similar variation. I finally found COTH, lurked for 5+ years and finally joined.

I read 10x more than I post but every now and then I feel like I can contribute my experience to a thread. I've also received great information and support about training issues, health problems, product decision-making, etc. over the years. There are so many products and companies that I learned about through COTH and I don't know if I would've discovered them on my own.

I'd moved away from my family, gotten my very own laptop and broadband internet (at home we had dial-up). I was working long long hours and had found a barn to lesson at, I think I'd been there two or three weeks, but in the wee hours of the morning I had nothing to do but surf. I read every single article on Jessica Jaheil's Horse Sense and then started looking around for more and ran into COTH. I got an education in the new world of horsekeeping much faster that way! And being a shift worker it just became something that I did.

Of course, by now, I think I need to focus on a real life. Like riding the pony instead of writing about him.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I used to take part in a tiny little horse forum. (It has since disbanded but I stay in touch with quite a few of the folks from there -- it was like a little family.) I was just getting into self-care at the time after years of hands-off boarding. Quite frequently I'd ask a question and there would be a round of "nope haven't heard of it". So I surfed around.

I stay and post on COTH for the wide variety and depth of information. Very rarely do I post something that no one has experienced. Of course with depth comes... opposing/contradictory answers or recommendations! But it's always food for thought, and as I've gotten to know certain posters, I know which opinions to trust.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Any time I need the answer to that ol' question, "Is it ME or is it the WORLD?" I can find the answer here on COTH.

I don't remember how I found COTH, but I post here because this board has some amazing people on it and the discussions are often very thought provoking. I also enjoy some to the train wrecks.

I joined in 2005 with another user account but forgot the password. I think I found COTH while Googling for information about something horse related.

I post/browse here when I am bored, or looking for opinions/info.

I like the quality of the advice I am given from other posters. I do feel one of the forums is too "snarky" and will not start threads on there. Other than that life is good.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous