The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why do you post on COTH?

And why did you start? I'm just curious.

I found COTH when I was searching for a lesson pony. I remembered talking to a woman who was running a polo pony retirement program and there is no better beginner lesson pony (to my mind) then a well trained lower level polo pony.

I googled her name, Nancy Mackall, and found the thread on COTH...20 dead horses, 10 horses seized. She had been taking in retired polo ponies and starving them. I was horrified. And hooked on COTH. I've found so much information, tried to share a little information, made some very good friends (and a couple of enemies, I suspect).

So how did you come across COTH and what keeps you here?

Laura
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I don't know why I got started, really. I think it was because I posted on another horse message board and got sick of the crazy behavior of several of the posters there, including one who seemed to be somewhat stalking me (she was a special brand of crazy).

I stayed because it is nice to read one message board that's not completely rescue-related. And now I mostly stay to educate people on rescue issues on some of the threads that pop up. I do a lot more reading than posting anymore...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I started when there was a reality show about sports kids and there was one girl who evented and I was searching online for info about it and a Coth thread came up. It was a treat to find so many people talking about this esoteric tv show with an eventing kid on it. I got totally addicted and have spent far too many hours learning, sharing, laughing and getting irritated at strangers on Coth.

Was on an email listserve and a bunch of listers were also on COTH. Had to see what it was about. . Many years ago.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My first thread here was a trainwreck. I'd been writing something for school about Goldika, McLain Ward, chipped boots, etc. and found the Catchride forums. Asked some questions there. Was referred here. Posted without searching first.

I stay because I've found a lot of the discussions very informative- particularly as relates to horse care.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

2 members found this post helpful.

Was searching for info on how to treat an abscess... Google hit on COTH and the rest is history.

Very informative, helpful, always good for a laff or entertaining trainwreck. Plenty of forehead slapping/rolling eyes moments too.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I found it while surfing the internet. Casually clicked on a Willem thread and I laughed until I cried...and was hooked. No one in my family is horsey, and it is great to have a place to go deeply into my horse addiction, without being judged as nuts!

I think I was just cruising the net many years ago.

There is so much information,lots of experienced minds...plus you get all the gossip first if you visit regularly

A friend at work told me to check COTH out. I was complaining about our local horse forum being boring, and she thought I would find this place a lot more active.
    I've gotten 3 really nice horses as a result of reading COTH, as well as my County saddle, Tropical Rider breeches(which I had never heard of prior to joining COTH), and countless other horse related stuff.
    I keep reading because there are a lot of wonderful people who post, and because there is a wealth of information to be found in the forums, both good and bad.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

A barnmate mentioned I should check Coth and do a search for Willem porsts. I did... and never left.
    I cry, I laugh, I roll my eyes, but mostly I learn from reading Coth.
    Our Canadian board is boring... everything is supposed to be butterflies and flowers.

4 members found this post helpful.

I had just gotten my first computer and was playing around, seeing what was out there. I looked for Chronicle of the Horse, which was one of the magazines I sometimes subscribed to. Found it, and, in the process, found the brand new forums that had just started up a few months ago. When I started, I think that there were fewer than 100 members. I remember we all counted members, and there was a post celebrating each time we passed another 100 mark.

I've stayed, all these years, and watched members come and go. Some I miss, a lot, and some I am very glad to have seen the tail end of. I hang around because I still enjoy the conversations, though, these days, I tend to post more on Off Topic days than at any other time. The depth of information, and the intellect of so many of the posters here, just blows me away.

The main reason I stay, though, is that, in spite of all of the train wrecks and sometimes downright nasty postings, when there is need, I have seen COTHers pull together, time and again. How can you not respect a place like that?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

7 members found this post helpful.

Whenever I googled some horse related question the most legit looking and informative answers came from COTH. I was a lurker for a while before signing up. Nope, I ain't looking back either
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

I can't remember exactly, but I have a feeling I came to have a read after COTH had a mention on the Horse and Hound forums.

I don't post a lot, but I do like to read the COTH forums and see how other countries do things and so on. Some things are the same and some are very different. (And sometimes I have no idea what is going on as I don't always get the terminology )

refugee from equine-l and the (w)rec.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I was looking for a saddle and, being a subscriber to COTH the magazine, checked the classifieds here for what was for sale.
    To answer one ad, I had to sign on and checked the forums also.

I didn't buy the saddle and didn't post any, rarely checked just out of curiosity.
    Some years later, I was checking and the slaughter thread had several posts that needed an answer and I jumped in without a second thought, really ignorant of what else was going on, the different people that posted just to stir up, those to support their friends, any and all, slaughter just one more place to fight each other, it seemed.

I had some health issues and surgeries then and since, most of the work I do now is behind a desk and COTH is a good way to pass the time.
    Now, while passing the time, COTH is also so much more, you can't believe all I have learned about not only horse, but the world and the people in it and not only as it relates to horses.
    That is priceless for someone like me, that is clueless about people and what may motivate them and where they come from in more than a superficial way.
    The issues discussed, well, they are a platform, facilitating that understanding.

As they say, "there is a whole big, interesting world out there!" and COTH is one way to learn about some of it.

I was doing some pedigree nerd Googling, and found COTH. I read it for a while before I joined. And nine+ years later, I am still a loyal reader!
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I don't remember how I first came here. Probably through an internet search on some horse-related topic.

I stayed because it was refreshing to see people posting in a blunt manner. I don't like it when there is so much polite support that people who should be called out don't get called out.

I also appreciate the fact that there is a ton of real life horse experience here and it is fairly easy to spot the cyber-experts as opposed to the real experts.
    Sheilah

we didn't get a computer until about 2001, and at about that time I stopped getting The Chronicle delivered. I found the website and this thing called a forum, and was fascinated by it! I remember trying to register at least a couple of times from then until 2011 when I was finally successful. Being a newbie to computers, I thought that the Chronicle didn't like me anymore because I had dropped my subscription lol

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    The depth of information, and the intellect of so many of the posters here, just blows me away.

The main reason I stay, though, is that, in spite of all of the train wrecks and sometimes downright nasty postings, when there is need, I have seen COTHers pull together, time and again. How can you not respect a place like that?
    ^
    THIS!

I was referred by a COTHer who found me on another BB that was getting way too MyPrettyPony for my taste.
    She lived not far away and wanted to see my setup, since she had similar acreage.
    She became my horsy BFF for a while, then dropped me after 2 years like a hot potato.
    Oh well, her loss.

To paraphrase Louise:
    Too much good stuff here!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I came in on a train wreck and just stayed.

1 members found this post helpful.