The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Wow, I have to admit I am surprised by all the grief that the OP is getting in response to her post(s). There are often threads of this nature on the board and I don't recall ever seeing one that has been quite so harsh.

I don't blame the OP for being upset at what appears to be some crummy billing practices. I can also relate to the challenge of putting up with some boarding issues in order to access the services of a really good trainer - up to a point. But when you are spending a lot of money to do so, I think it's reasonable to expect that you will be treated professionally, and that means adhering to the agreements that were made, and addressing any issues that arise in a respectful manner. Of course, that respect should go both ways and the client shouldn't be speaking poorly of the BO/management either - which the OP has already recognized. Do unto others and all that...

Plenty of show barns have grooms that do the tack, horse laundry etc and even without the allergy/health issue, I don't think there is any reason to take issue with someone who chooses to pay a groom for those services. The horse doesn't care who does the tack, after all.

The billing issue(s) would bother me a great deal, regardless of the amount in question, because I would recognize them for what they are - an indication of a lack of respect for the client and the agreements made with that client. I personally have found that I can't live in that sort of situation even if the training provided is wonderful, and I wouldn't fault anyone else for refusing to do so either.

OP, if you want to stay at this barn, I were you, I would make a formal appointment with the stable management (ideally whomever you dealt with originally when you made the decision to move to this facility.) I would start by saying the training is great, the facilities are lovely, whatever it is you like about the place. And then I would say something to the effect of, "I think there may have been some misunderstanding about a couple of things when we initially discussed moving my horse here. I was under the impression that you were willing to obtain xyz feed for my horse at cost (or at cost with a small markup or whatever) and that tack cleaning was included in the normal monthly rate. I believe I was also told my dog was welcome, but since then perhaps something has changed? I'd just like to iron out these few issues directly so that there is no confusion going forward." Then I'd let the BO/BM respond.

If they say, "well, sorry but those things are not included/your dog is really not welcome/we mark up special feed orders 200%/something else that is unacceptable," I think you have to calmly thank them for the clarification and consider whether you want to stay, under those circumstances. If so, then send a nice note thanking them for their time and clarifications so you have something in writing detailing the arrangement, and if not, send a different note thanking them for providing the clarifications, and giving notice that since those issues are problematic for you, you will need to move to a different facility.

Good luck.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

4 members found this post helpful.

Crockpot, after being overcharged for the two first months I was there, what was I supposed to do?
    Give your notice and move.

The option you have chosen is bizarre (since you seem to be looking for input).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post

Final issue - apparently someone went to the BO's father and told him I had said a few not so nice things about him. They aren't really true, but he's not in the mood to listen either so I'm not going to get into a fight. Well, he went to his daughter. . . . .
    Even if you manage to work out the feeding, tack-cleaning, & dog issues, frankly, I think THIS is most likely your biggest problem as far as staying or going, & I doubt you can "fix it". The fact that you state that whatever you were quoted as saying wasn't "really true" doesn't mean sh*t at most places. Very few boarding places are amenable to toxic gossip about the owners or family - true or not.
    You apparently opened your mouth a bit too wide about "something", since afterwards your dog was no longer welcome.

It'll be interesting to hear how you "fix" this situation, but if I were in your boots, I'd already be looking for a new boarding barn. (GOD I'm so glad I have my horses at home!!!!)

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Thought on the dog thing. Ask BO if it would be acceptable if you brought a portable crate for dog, set it up, and crated dog during your time at the barn.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Thought on the dog thing. Ask BO if it would be acceptable if you brought a portable crate for dog, set it up, and crated dog during your time at the barn.
    I have a feeling this has 0% to do about the dog; 100% to do about the boarder.

3 members found this post helpful.

Very nice blueprint to go by from LucassB. I'd like to suggest you make up a bullet point cheat sheet and keep it in a three ring binder to take with you. You can go through each issue and make notes without forgetting the issues or getting sidetracked.

About the feed cost. I'm perfectly capable of going to the mill and buying my brand of feed, PAYING for it, and having it delivered to the barn in their regular feed order. And if I authorize it they'll do it on a recurring basis and send the bill to me.
    If the BO is trying to say that segregating the feed both in storage and while feeding is worth a premium,( which it very well might be, it takes extra space and time) then that should have been negotiated, and it could be either a per feeding/day flat fee or a by the pound fee.
    A BO who is trying to charge for a service not delivered or performed is either going to charge for a feeding not done, say, you're told the horse is fed three times and it isn't, or they are going to charge by the pound and claim you are getting X when in fact you are getting 1/2X.
    You already seem to have gone down this road with the hay,either one is horrible to contemplate both for your pocketbook and the horses' health, it might BE time to move on.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

What LucassB said, on all fronts.
    I am not quite sure why certain people have their panties in a bunch about this thread...and she had some great advice for the OP.

...Just an aside, i have been at barns where tack cleaning by staff was the norm, and many people WITHOUT allergies didn't interact with their horses except for when they were on their backs. They paid a lot of money to operate that way, and while that's not the way I chose to do things and isn't the way I would spend my money, who am I to judge?

...Just an aside, i have been at barns where tack cleaning by staff was the norm, and many people WITHOUT allergies didn't interact with their horses except for when they were on their backs. They paid a lot of money to operate that way, and while that's not the way I chose to do things and isn't the way I would spend my money, who am I to judge?

No doubt but perhaps the best bet for those relatively high maintainence boarders who are unable to have direct contact with their horses but have the ability to pay for others to do it is a full service stable with everything all included in one pre determined monthly rate.

Problems arise with the other model as we have seen here. Not so much chance for confusion there.