The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    All I can say is - you must be very, VERY young, dear. And thus also incompetent in reading for comprehension. The OP's major problem (if you bothered to read it), WAS about tack cleaning.
    No dear, I'm 32 and I can read thank you.

OP's issue is not tack cleaning. It is over billing of hay/feed, misunderstanding in the services that were supposed to be included (tack cleaning) and services that OP doesn't wanted/needed but was charged for (mane pulling/thinning)

All I can say is that being older doesn't make one wiser nor nicer.

6 members found this post helpful.

Wow ReSomething, I couldn't have said it better - this is exactly what I feel is happening!

But wouldn't it just be better if people were upfront about stuff? I hate this sort of situations, specially as I am a non-confrontational type of person.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    I think that was a little uncalled for...
    Oh, that's just Bacardi. Most things he/she says are uncalled for. I actually enjoying reading his/her posts for the entertainment value. You can't accuse Bacardi of not speaking her mind!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, my bad, and here I was reading your first post and how it WAS a big issue about the hay...
    Frankly if you are so unhappy, they feed crappy hay, talk poorly about you, etc, etc, JUST MOVE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Then at the end of month one, bill comes in and my mare supposedly ate 660kg of hay (almost 1500lbs). I was shocked but figured grooms were putting the hay on the floor so probably there was a lot of waste. Asked the grooms to stick the hay into a hay net (which weights roughly 12kg) to avoid wastage.

Month two. Billed for the same 660kg (didn't even bother to change to, I don't know, 640... LOL). Went to the BO, explained to her how it was absolutely impossible for a horse to eat all that hay, and how there must be a mistake. She tells me she'll talk to the grooms and get back to me later. She calls me a few days later, gives me a new bill where I am charged for 450kg, still a lot more than any horse would eat. So I tell her its still not a figure that I believe in, but fine, I'll pay it. However, nets are to be filled when I'm there to see them being weighed.

Month three. The feed I brought down with me had all been eaten, so BO orders more. At the end of the month, bill arrived and I am being charged almost double per pound of feed. Mind you the feed is delivered free of charge and all you have to do is call the supplier. Oh, and surprise surprise, turns out my mare only ate 124kg of hay.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

1 members found this post helpful.

Crappy hay is actually all there is available atm - I don't fault them for that, at all.

Yes, I might have to move, but if I can avoid it, I will. There are issues in every barn (I'm not delusional) and this particular one has some very nice things. It does have some bad things as well, and I am trying to see if they can be fixed. I started this post to get a perspective on things and see if anyone had ever been on a similar situation and what did they do.

OP, it seems like the big problem is that nothing is in writing. You can find ten thousand COTH threads about boarding problems, and the one thing in common is NO WRITTEN CONTRACT. If you want to stay there because of your great trainer, then set up a meeting with the BO, go with paper and pen, and just tell her that there are apparently a couple of misunderstandings, and can you get it all written down so you both know exactly what is expected.

I bet BO will feel a lot better about an up-front conversation and seeing it all written down, too. It sounds like she/he really wants to charge you a set price but for some reason isn't coming out and saying so, so there are all these strange variances with the hay, the tack cleaning, the feed, etc.

I don't think you're being unreasonable and I don't think the BO is being unreasonable. Mostly I think you have a failure to communicate. No one is the bad guy here.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

SCMSL,
    Hello there! I've had allergies all my life. I did two years of allergy shots. I'm on three different allergy meds daily. My allergies are mostly to grass and pollen now. One thing that helps me a lot is wearing a painter's mask (rated for dust/pollen) whenever I'm feeding or mucking. It looks a little silly, but being able to breathe through my nose is worth it. Perhaps it might work for you as well?

Have you considered Beta/Biothane tack? It can be very easily cleaned with just water, and you can even run it through the dishwasher to sterilize if if you need to. Or perhaps a synthetic saddle? Those are very easy to clean as well.

Yoga and meditation have helped me a lot, too. Stress exacerbates allergies.

Kind Regards,
    Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Uh, sorry, but you being able to groom/pet (oh, sorry, I guess you don't groom or pet your own horse), ride, & otherwise have no problems around horses except for "tack cleaning" IS both funny & shocking. And oh so strange. Since animal allergies have to do with dander, & gummy horse tack doens't have loose dander, what you claim IS actually VERY strange. So what you're saying is that you own & compete horses, but don't have ANY contact with them?? No grooming, petting, etc., etc., etc. Just jump on & go?? Because that's what you seem to be implying. In other words, your horse is simply a vehicle for competition? How wonderful for your horse.

(I'm not so happy for your poor dog either.)
    Do you have allergies and know how they work at all? What occurs with the immune system once it reaches overload is not exactly predictable, she is trying to ride and has a dog knowing she has allergies, this is difficult enough. In an attempt to keep it to a minimum she pays someone to clean the tack, why does that bother you so much? Do you think she is doing this because she is too lazy or has too much money to throw around?

I also have to take exception with the person who said the trainer working there ten years indicates it is probably a nice facility when it could very well be that the money is good but the people who run the place are not. I really do not care whether she "hurt the feelings" of the barn owners father or not, who in the name of all that is holy makes business decisions on the basis of personal feelings? Her own personal so called "feelings" and protection of the insiders family has not a thing to do with this, it sounds like a nit-picking gossipy group and I would scoot as soon as possible. Life is too short for this kind of silliness.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

4 members found this post helpful.

I understand your frustrations. I have boarded at all level of barns including some very high-end barns over the years & there is unfortunately no such thing as the "perfect" barn. I have even noticed that some of the higher end barns seem to nickel & dime without disclosing them in the contract (this isn't all of them) but I did board at two of them that literally did this. I loved the trainer enough to continue to board with him but I did make sure to bring my bill to the BOs every month & questioned it. Funny how with both places they wanted to avoid me so the bill pretty much flat lined & made sense .

As far as the dog I have a small dog that I do bring every where with me & never understood barns not allowing boarders dogs. That was until I bought my own place & had my insurance agent point out the liability aka the $$$ to allow boarder's dogs on our property. For some reason my own dogs are okay but the minute outside dogs are on the property, I'm no longer covered or my insurance literally doubles/triples (it's now a barn rule). So maybe when he agreed to allow you to have the dog on the property he hadn't talk to his insurance agent yet?!

Just politely bug him every month about the bill & don't get angry about it just question it & the key is to kill with kindness (you get so much further)!!!!

Best of luck!!!

Default Maybe you are not a good fit for that barn

Barn owner didn't do anything wrong except sounds like the hay bill. Which could be an honest mistake that no one pointed out before you.

That should be corrected and you should get a credit if she really made a mistake.

We own a barn, have boarded for 18 years.

1) dogs are a liability. Dogs are a risk. our policy is no dogs. with exceptions at our option for extremely well behaved dogs. If we allow them, we could be responsible for any injuries caused by the dogs. Insurance can sometimes disallow dogs or increase premiums. You don't really know.

2)I don't think some mark up on products is unusual. There is a mark up on the cost of boarding, she keeps more than it cost her otherwise she could not stay in business. Boarding is not charity. We had some customers who thought we should make zero on lessons, someone else taught but we supplied the facility, utilities, advertising and insurance, as well as maintenance. Of course we had to make something on each lesson. The lessons were not possible without our facility! And the lessons caused wear and tear and extra cost for us. All the things barn owners do are not free. Sounds to me like you are not a business person in your other life .

She should mark up the feed. Fairly. Otherwise her time, and effort, which is part of the job, is free. There is also the fact that she pays for it before she gets your board bill and if you leave she could have feed she paid for but did not use. So she has risk. A business has to charge extra whenever something is asked for that is special. Because it takes more time and effort than the standard feed and in business time is money.

I am with her on not allowing boarders to supply, at least not until she knows you better. If I had a hundred bucks for every time a boarder promised to bring or buy something and didn't, I'd be retired. And I saw it all the time when I was a boarder, too. If you fail to supply the feed, the barn owner and your horse will be in a pickle. She is responsible and she is stepping up to the plate to make sure the feed is there.

If you don't agree with some feed mark up you are asking her to spend that time for free. Twice the price per pound, well, you don't know what she is paying her feed store for it, do you? need to talk with her about the exact price. Your opinion of enough profit may not be what she has to have to make it worth ordering special feed.

Horses eat different pounds of hay depending on how much grass they have available. And on the quality of the hay.

3) Sounds like you are spending all this attention on the hay charge, the feed, the dog, etc. I didn't read your opinion about the most important thing? Quality of the care, and whether they truly like and "get" your horse. Are they fond of your horse. Do they like your horse. Is your horse happy there? That is what you should be asking when you are at a new barn, the other stuff has to be worked out but it is less important than whether your horse is getting good care.

4) Sounds to me like you may not be compatible with this barn's atmosphere/personality. If it is not a match, you will never be happy there. You will only make yourself and everyone else there miserable.

Only you or the barn owner can decide that.

Right now, after reading your post, I am trying to be fair. I have been a boarder and a barn owner. But to be honest, I was not feeling the urge to run out and see if you would come to my barn. I was afraid that you would make my other boarders and my barn staff, as well as me, miserable.

So if you want to stay, do an honest assessment of your contribution to the problems and go have a sincere heart to heart with the barn owner . Do it soon, or she may make your decision for you.

3 members found this post helpful.

Raise your hand if you'd LOVE to hear the other side of the story
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

5 members found this post helpful.

Nah,I wish the OP would buy the land on both sides of Bacardi and deer hunt

How in the world do you have time to watch them weight the hay net? Is this daily occurance? I understand all your other concerns, but I don't get this?
    Do you do this because you don't trust them? If that was the case here, it would be a bad fit and I would ask you to leave.
    If they WANT you there to verify, that is quite an imposition.
    The dog thing would really upset me. When I was boarding, that would be a deal breaker and I would move if they changed it on me.
    I don't allow loose dogs and provide a kennel for those who need to have their dogs with them, due to travel, etc.

I'm pretty sure it isn't an insurance issue as other boarders are allowed to bring their dogs.

After two months in a row where I was overcharged for hay, yep, I now feel "safer" being there every time they place any. Its PITA, but hate being passed for a fool.

Agile, if the BO thought a markup on feed was a must, then this should've been talked through with me before I moved in, when I mentioned the subject. I do know what she is paying the supplier as I have been ordering from them for years. And since this supplier is the only one who carries the brand in my country, there really isn't the question of where the BO orders the feed from, or for how much. I couldn't care less if a BO likes my horse or not - what I do care for is the horse's well being, and my own happiness and sanity.

After two months in a row where I was overcharged for hay, yep, I now feel "safer" being there every time they place any. Its PITA, but hate being passed for a fool.
    Really? And this boarding arrangement can continue like this? . Whether you are in the right or not, there is now a serious problem.

I'd not be surprised if you get notice before you give notice, You may not wish to be 'passed for a fool ' but BO probably doesn't wish to be taken for being a thief, liar or incompetent , or whatever you are implying.

Get over the dog thing.
    They are allowed to not like your dog there and allow other dogs there, it is their property.
    They do not have to have a reason past simply not wanting it there. Sure, maybe they are basing this no dog thing on simply not liking you (because you bad mouthed their family). Shrug. That is their right. Their property, not yours.

I personally see nothing wrong with a barn owner up charging for special order grain products.

Crockpot, after being overcharged for the two first months I was there, what was I supposed to do? And apparently I am not the only one having issues with billing, another boarder only wants bedding put in place when he's there to oversee it.

ou may not wish to be 'passed for a fool ' but BO probably doesn't wish to be taken for being a thief, liar or incompetent , or whatever you are implying.
    I never had to do this. Until there was a "mistake" for two months in a row. Have I stressed that enough?

Not my property, that's true. But I am a user of a facility which is supposed to be a business. And in professional businesses there is supposed to be common rules which apply to everybody. And especially since I mentioned the dog (and actually took her with me) when I first went to the yard, it really doesn't seem fair...

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Crockpot, after being overcharged for the two first months I was there, what was I supposed to do? And apparently I am not the only one having issues with billing, another boarder only wants bedding put in place when he's there to oversee it.

I never had to do this. Until there was a "mistake" for two months in a row. Have I stressed that enough?

Not my property, that's true. But I am a user of a facility which is supposed to be a business. And in professional businesses there is supposed to be common rules which apply to everybody. And especially since I mentioned the dog (and actually took her with me) when I first went to the yard, it really doesn't seem fair...
    If a boarder only let my staff bed or give hay in their presence, I'd have 2 open slots.

The dog-- don't be a pain and maybe the owners won't be.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

OP, its time to move. Seriously.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    If a boarder only let my staff bed or give hay in their presence, I'd have 2 open slots.
    If a BO was charging you twice as much bedding/hay/food as needed for 2 consecutive months, what would you do?

I would personnaly be pissed and have a serious talk with the BO asap. The open slot would be from me leaving if I couldn't get to an agreement soon.

OP, don't talk about the issue to much with the other boarders. Talk to the BO, NOW. But really, it doesn't seem that things will be good for you there. Good luck.