The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've never heard of someone allergic to tack cleaning, but ok with dogs and horses....I guess I've lived a sheltered life...

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank you all for your inputs.

I have been taking a few days to think this through and I guess I'll have a chat with my trainer tomorrow and then go from there.

Just an FYI, I am allergic to horses and dogs, not tack cleaning per say. I know you were trying to be funny, but you weren't. I keep my contact with horses to a minimum, and always wear gloves. My dog is cleaned everyday with baby wipes to remove the dandruff which actually is what causes the allergies. I also don't see why this seems so shocking, since I was the one who suggested I paid extra for this service when I was made aware it wasn't included. What bugged me in that situation is I was led to believe it was included before I moved in.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post

Just an FYI, I am allergic to horses and dogs, not tack cleaning per say. I know you were trying to be funny, but you weren't. I keep my contact with horses to a minimum, and always wear gloves. My dog is cleaned everyday with baby wipes to remove the dandruff which actually is what causes the allergies. I also don't see why this seems so shocking, since I was the one who suggested I paid extra for this service when I was made aware it wasn't included. What bugged me in that situation is I was led to believe it was included before I moved in.
    Uh, sorry, but you being able to groom/pet (oh, sorry, I guess you don't groom or pet your own horse), ride, & otherwise have no problems around horses except for "tack cleaning" IS both funny & shocking. And oh so strange. Since animal allergies have to do with dander, & gummy horse tack doens't have loose dander, what you claim IS actually VERY strange. So what you're saying is that you own & compete horses, but don't have ANY contact with them?? No grooming, petting, etc., etc., etc. Just jump on & go?? Because that's what you seem to be implying. In other words, your horse is simply a vehicle for competition? How wonderful for your horse.

(I'm not so happy for your poor dog either.)

4 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

FWIW I'm allergic to animals too. Some more than others (cats are worst). I take allergy pills in spring because its worst then. They do the trick, proof being I spent a good 45 minutes today at the barn cleaning and oiling tack after riding 2 horses for ~45mins each not including time spent grooming/tacking up, and I'm still alive. If your allergies are that bad, and they sound like they are, or else you are super paranoid, then try shots. Or change the type of medication your on.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Uh, sorry, but you being able to groom/pet (oh, sorry, I guess you don't groom or pet your own horse), ride, & otherwise have no problems around horses except for "tack cleaning" IS both funny & shocking. And oh so strange. Since animal allergies have to do with dander, & gummy horse tack doens't have loose dander, what you claim IS actually VERY strange. So what you're saying is that you own & compete horses, but don't have ANY contact with them?? No grooming, petting, etc., etc., etc. Just jump on & go?? Because that's what you seem to be implying. In other words, your horse is simply a vehicle for competition? How wonderful for your horse.

Oh wow, I can't see how it is you judge my allergies from far away, without even knowing me. I treat my horses very well, and I do handle them. I am careful not to touch them directly. I cannot see how that is a problem for you, or why you would be so upset to direct a comment like that. But sure, to each their own and I hope you are a happier person now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post

I think that was a little uncalled for...
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

5 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Oh wow, I can't see how it is you judge my allergies from far away, without even knowing me. I treat my horses very well, and I do handle them. I am careful not to touch them directly. I cannot see how that is a problem for you, or why you would be so upset to direct a comment like that. But sure, to each their own and I hope you are a happier person now.
    Okay, going to try very hard not to sound offensive here. Here goes. It seems very strange to me that you could catch, groom, tack up, and ride without touching your horse. As someone else said, it doesn't seem too nice for the horse either - they generally enjoy human interaction. For me personally, if I could never pet my horse for a job well done, rub his nose or scratch his forehead/withers/other itchy spot, riding just wouldn't be that fun. A large part of it is interaction with whichever horse I'm riding. I don't see how you can say you "handle" your horse without ever directly touching it, that's all. I think that's what the others are trying to say too, just with more snark.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Simple, as soon as I arrive at the yard, I put my gloves on. Yes, far from ideal, but thats how it has to be. Either that or just never ride or be around horses again. An THAT, I cannot afford.

So your allergy is contact & not respiratory? Even with gloves on, I still can't see how you can avoid all contact with your animals.

Just a couple of things that strike me as odd (however, I have never boarded, and certainly have never boarded at a facility that is as full-care as this one seems to be):

1.) The tack cleaning. I wouldn't WANT someone else cleaning my tack; that is my responsibility, and needs to be done to my standards. Plus, if I put myself in the BO's place, this could be a liability issue -- suppose the tack is damaged while being cleaned (kind of unlikely, but could happen) -- what are you going to do then? Will their insurance cover that?

2.) The hay. 1500lbs, figuring about 60lbs per bale, is only 25 bales/month. If the hay is poor quality as you say, then I think this is entirely reasonable, as they are feeding more to compensate. Could be a little high, but if the mare is in a stall and they are feeding constantly, then -- to me, that's not entirely out of line. That last bill? I'd hit the roof if my horse was being fed so little hay.

Take it as you will. As I said, I don't board at high-priced, high-service barns.

WoW people.... The OP has allergies and doesn't want/can't clean her tack, what does that have to do with the topic?!?

If the OP wants to pay someone to clean her tack, no matter the reason, that is HER choice and HER money. A groom will be happy to be paid for that.

If OP can't touch her horse much, it has NOTHING to do with the cares and the loves she gives to her horse. I bet this horse received better care than most of Cothers' horses...

If people feel better bashing the OP over such, go for it but really....this is sad.

OP, as you said, talk with your trainer first but have the $numbers with you. You've handle feed and hay before and you know your horse. States what you were expecting and see what they have to say. From there, write down whatever you have agreed on.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    WoW people.... The OP has allergies and doesn't want/can't clean her tack, what does that have to do with the topic?!?

If the OP wants to pay someone to clean her tack, no matter the reason, that is HER choice and HER money. A groom will be happy to be paid for that.

If OP can't touch her horse much, it has NOTHING to do with the cares and the loves she gives to her horse. I bet this horse received better care than most of Cothers' horses...

If people feel better bashing the OP over such, go for it but really....this is sad.

OP, as you said, talk with your trainer first but have the $numbers with you. You've handle feed and hay before and you know your horse. States what you were expecting and see what they have to say. From there, write down whatever you have agreed on.
    All I can say is - you must be very, VERY young, dear. And thus also incompetent in reading for comprehension. The OP's major problem (if you bothered to read it), WAS about tack cleaning.

No, my main issue is actually not tack cleaning. That issue was handled when it first arose.

My main issue is billing. But I was happy at the barn so a talk every single month wasn't going to kill me (although it does bother me) as long as everything else was going smoothly, which really isn't. But just so everyone here understand, my main issue is with the inconsistencies with billing.

Oh, and for those of you who are concerned about her not eating enough hay: I had a custom net made which is larger than the average. I make sure I fill it so when I arrive there the next day there is still some hay in the net. This horse has some trouble keeping weight, so it really doesn't bother me she doesn't eat much hay as the hay is poor and I rather having her eat her alfalfa cubes and solution mash which are higher calorie and high fiber as well. The cubes are long stem.

2 members found this post helpful.

For what it is worth, I boarded at a barn where tack cleaning was included, grooming , whisker shaving etc. Each aisle had its own groom. This wasn't a competition barn, just a full service barn in the (expensive) suburbs.
    Many of the boarders were 9-5 professionals who had money but not time.
    Perhaps its a regional thing to have tack cleaning included, full service to me means that as well as horse being tacked up for my ride .
    P.s. that was decades ago. I couldn't afford anything like that now.

Why don't you talk to the BO and both agree on a monthly fee for hay? It's great that there is still hay in the net when you get there the next day, but how does that work for them weighing that next day's hay?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Because if it isn't the hay, its something else. Basically I am being charged the same amount since month one. Hay has gone down, but suddenly other stuff has gone up - like the price per lb of feed. It feels like they need me to pay that amount every single month, for one reason or another, and aren't capable of just coming to me ans saying the basic monthly fee isn't enough... I don't know. All I know is I hate having to worry about this stuff.

When the issue with hay first arose I told the BO I would be more than welcome to pay a monthly fee for hay + bedding, even if that was a little over what the horse was actually spending (my logic is horses spend more on a certain month, then less on the following and things tend to even out - thats how most boarding barns function, after all). She told me no, they didn't work like that.

I am there every single time the net is filled. Net is weighed, then filled, then weighed again and whatever was left in the net is subtracted to the final weight. Yes, its a PITA.

i read it that she had an issue with a service that was not included, and she had believed it was. And it was addressed. It could have been anything - putting a fly mask on/off, tack cleaning, blanketing, holding a horse for a farrier/vet. And I agree; you have to get those clarified. I would not like a barn I didn't trust with billing. I am good with lots of extra charges, if I know what they are, and if i was paying extra for hay - a range of how much that typically ran. But, like most folks, I don't like big surprises either and I would not like having to supervise the weighing. A barn that i don't trust with billing is a barn I don't really trust. And I would think the general atmosphere would be tense which I also would not like.

6 members found this post helpful.

I told the BO I would be more than welcome to pay a monthly fee for hay + bedding, even if that was a little over what the horse was actually spending (my logic is horses spend more on a certain month, then less on the following and things tend to even out - thats how most boarding barns function, after all). She told me no, they didn't work like that..
    ? That really would seem like a good solution, depending on the stability of hay prices.

I've run into situations where basically, they lie. Speak untruths, errors of omission, misunderstandings, whatever you want to call it.
    Possibly they are afraid that if they tell you how much everything that you want will cost upfront you won't move in, possibly they are afraid that YOU will lie, that you want this that and the other and say you thought that would be included.

I think being charged for a mane thinning you didn't know you needed and didn't ask for is a bit over the top, but there are enough full training programs that charge for things like that. I just don't know why clients balk at say $2k per month all inclusive when their a la carte bill comes to the same figure. Evidently they do and this is a result.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible