Kmel- you may be talking about this guy? http://eventingnation.com/sporthorse...el-packer.html He belongs to a former student of mine. I sold him to them when he was 3yrs old. Absolutely dead honest to the jumps and could be way fancier on the flat but dressage is not her thing. She just decided she wants to study abroad and isn't finding the time to ride him. He hasn't went xc in a while but I have no doubt he would get right back into it.
Wouldn't/shouldn't a horse like this sell for $15,000? I am gobsmacked at some of the prices. How can people take a horse from 3 years old,turn it into a packer at levels requiring some talent and athleticism, and 7 years later only get $5k when they sell.
Still out there looking. Many of the ones my trainer and I were seriously interested in were sold before I could get the time off work to go see them. (as in sold within a week of when I found the ad).
I've found a lot of others since, but mostly in the following categories:
1) nice eventing packer, but much older than I'd feel comfortable with (17+) or who have had physical issues I've decided I couldn't deal with.
2) younger packer with a lot of experience, but well beyond my budget
3) looks great for SJ and XC, but doesn't do well in dressage regardless of who rides it (always at the bottom of the pack because of it)
4) Steady-eddy horses who came from the hunt field or SJ and haven't shown as eventers (yet) but are being marketed as such because someone has done some dressage training at home.
I'm confident in my dressage, so I wouldn't be happy with type (3). I don't know about type (4).
I'm surprised at how hard it is to find something. My budget isn't huge, but it is decent enough that one would think I should be able to find a horse who has done BN/N and is decent at it.
You've been looking for a couple of weeks. You have just summarized the market pretty well...
What you want, in this area, is not going to be less than 15k if it is really amateur friendly, has a decent amount of experience, is sound, less than 10, and can put in a nice dressage test.
I don't know what your budget is but you will have to keep looking, and figure out which item on your wish list you can compromise on. It might take a while!
Good luck - not to be a downer, but I spent MONTHS shopping - and vetted multiple horses who did not pass.
I was willing to compromise on experience, since I have miles myself and have brought along (with help) a horse from neon green to Training before...
Your calculus might be different but it might take some doing!!!
@Asterix: Yes, my post was only a few weeks ago, but I started looking back in February. I totally get the idea that it might take a while to find something which is why I started early in the year. I'm hoping I'll find something in time to still do some competing later in the summer.
I'd be willing to compromise on age (i.e. going younger than 8) and experience (B/N or N but not T), provided the horse is a steady jumper. If the horse is a good mover, but hasn't shown in dressage, not a problem. I have a lot of confidence there.
It is frustrating though. Particularly to find what seems to be a great match and then for things to come up where I know that I have to walk away (prior injury and maintenance issues)
I ended up with a former hunt horse. I think he would jig when standing still at times, and hunt people aren't huge fans of that! Before I got him, he did a run through a BN xc course and never batted an eye. If it feels like he might look, I just kick on. He has done well with dressage and I trust him completely. Don't overlook an ex hunt horse. Asking price was $12k, and I paid $10k because he might, and say I that loosely, may need some maintainence down the line. Good luck!
Sent you a pm with a link to a dreamhorse ad. I personally know the horse's owners and the young lady who worked and trained him this past year. I believe the horse may be exactly what you're looking for.
I started shopping in July, bought a horse three weeks ago. Flew twice, drove 6 hours once. Two of those trips saw multiple horses. Sat on a 3 y.o. who had never cantered, a fancy 4 yo who had never jumped, hunt horses, well bred prospects, you name it.
Had 3 terrible "existing X-ray" reviews, one who went to OCD surgery after I discovered the honking chip in her ankle (owners kindly offered to sell her to me for 10k more, yes, 10k more, after the surgery), one who came with a scary neck bone scan, tried to kill the vet tech, and reared during flexions, and one with extremely low miles and arthritis and spurs in all four fetlocks.
This doesn't count the many many horses I saw who didn't pass basic muster....
The only good things I can say are a) you get really good at assessing sale horses and b) new horses come on the market all the time. Horse I bought was not on sale until a week or two before I found him, and was not advertised anywhere.
3 is my horse, but the higher level you go the better you do since jumping clean and fast becomes more important.
4 is my first event horse - was a showjumper his entire life, never seen a cross country jump. Turned out to be the best buy of my life - went up to Prelim in two years with me, when I was 15 and had never evented at that level. Jumped anything and everything, knew his job.
It has been a busy last few weeks trying horses, some for the first time and others for the second. There are some serious contenders in this most recent group.
There is one in particular that both my trainer and I like very much. Trainer said this horse would teach me a lot and would be good for my riding. Suggested that before making a decision that we should do another visit. Due to scheduling conflicts, it will be difficult to get everyone in the same place at the same time. However, trainer is cool with me going solo to this visit and getting video. I tried the horse once on my own, second visit we both came.
Since this is the 3rd visit and is really just to confirm a few things, I think it would be courteous if I provided some feedback to the owner sooner rather than later. Owner has been very good to work with, great about providing information, etc. So I don't see any reason to delay anything. Assuming this next visit goes well, I would have no problem making an offer and proceeding with a PPE. Only thing is, since my trainer can't be there, I would want them to at least see the video so they can provide their final word on it and feel included. At the same time, I don't want to appear flaky to the owner.
Honesty. Tell them you are really seriously interested but want your trainer to see the video and you will call them--put a time frame. Also tell them assuming your trainer gives you the thumbs up--you will do a PPE. Offer to put down a deposit. And do not delay at all to both get your trainer to look at the video and schedule the ppe. Shouldn't take more than a week. Good luck!!!
** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **
If the 3rd ride goes well than I would tell the buyer that you intend to set up a PPE pending trainers agreement. Leave a deposit if they require one. Have trainer review the video quickly and get the PPE set up within a reasonable time frame. I will hold a horse for a buyer with agreement that a PPE will occur in the next week.
Do leave a non refundable deposit to cover all the time they have given you and ask to sign an agreement of sale pending trainer OK and successful PPe...this way they know you are serious and you have covered their time...best of Luck