The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Update p. 2: Where to look for a solid lower level event horse for BN/N and maybe T?

I'm currently looking for my next event horse but sorting through internet ads feeling like trying to meet "Mr. Right" at a bar. Yeah it could happen but feels like a crapshoot.

I'd like a horse that is solid at BN/N. If it had some experience at training level that would be a plus. Lots of show mileage isn't necessary, just enough to indicate the horse is legit at that level as opposed to say a dressage horse that got jumped around some jumps to make it easier to market and sell on. I'm not finding a lot on the 'net regardless of what price range I select, but maybe I am not looking in the right places.

That said, I have a trainer who I'm working with on this, but would still like to pursue generating possibilities on my own as well. I'd like to do a targeted search through savvy networking because going through internet ads could suck up a lot of time and money. Ideally I'd like to check out places that have multiple horses to see.

Prefer to look in NJ and PA. Would be willing to go outside that area if it's a place where I might be able to look at multiple horses for sale.

If anyone has ideas let me know.
    Last edited by Freebird's Elf; Apr. 21, 2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: updates

Default Lexington KY

Are you considering going to Rolex? There are a lot of nice horses close to Lexington that you could go see when you are here.

Megan Moore has several nice horses that you would be able to look at and she is only a few miles from the Kentucky Horse Park. Plus she is very, very good at matching people and horses. Look for her on FB and www.teamceoeventing.com. There are a lot of other farms close as well.

http://www.teamwindchase.com/forsale.htm

Not NJ or PA, but VA. Windchase has a lot of what you are describing right now.

Great recommendation, YB!

My first thought is to check with Courtney (Cooper). http://www.csquarefarm.com She is in PA, usually has lots available to choose from (and if not, is getting in more, and would also know where to find them for you). I have dealt with her, had friends buy from her, and think she is a very straightforward, honest, and nice person to deal with.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    http://www.teamwindchase.com/forsale.htm

Not NJ or PA, but VA. Windchase has a lot of what you are describing right now.
    In particular, the Tulla Gold horse is exactly what you are looking for. AEC champion at BN, very competitive at N, and ran four clear Trainings. And if you.don't like him, Phyllis usually has a dozen others to look at.

Check sport horse nation. There is a novice level tb in PA for $5K that sounds like a great deal (on page 2 now).
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    In particular, the Tulla Gold horse is exactly what you are looking for. AEC champion at BN, very competitive at N, and ran four clear Trainings. And if you.don't like him, Phyllis usually has a dozen others to look at.
    (That's exactly who I was thinking of!)

Kmel- you may be talking about this guy? http://eventingnation.com/sporthorse...el-packer.html He belongs to a former student of mine. I sold him to them when he was 3yrs old. Absolutely dead honest to the jumps and could be way fancier on the flat but dressage is not her thing. She just decided she wants to study abroad and isn't finding the time to ride him. He hasn't went xc in a while but I have no doubt he would get right back into it.

Phyllis is great to work with and a good way to try a number at one time, though I do find her prices to be on the high side. In the more local market, Emily Daily (cady o'daly farm) often has a number of really nice ones, often with foxhunting experience (and a number of ponies or pony-crosses). Tiffany Catledge (allforitfarm.com) often has a few as well.

having just bought a horse from someone on this list, and having spent time shopping in the area for the past few months, I will second the idea that you should call or email.
    MANY websites are not up to date at all. The horse I bought was not online -- totally word of mouth. Call a few folks, tell them exactly what you are looking for. Most of the people mentioned on this thread will let you know if they have anything that might suit, or be happy to point you to someone else who has one that will if they don't.

The websites give you an idea but don't assume there is nothing for you if you don't see it listed.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I sent you a PM.

Have you seen the FB page 'Hunt horses for sale'?

In addition, I agree you have to contact some of the people who generally have a few for sale since keeping a website up to date is challenging.

But if buying a solid horse was easy we wouldn't have so many "he failed the vet" or "should I take a risk on this guy" or "what do you think of this CANTER cutie" threads!!!

@MC: haha. Yeah, I know what you mean.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I now have some serious leads that both my trainer and I like. Will probably check some of them out very soon!

I second Cady O'Daly farm, I got my boy there and they are the sweetest people and the horses are wonderful!!!
    No Worries!