The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We JUST DID THIS!!!!!! We bought a beautiful MDBarnmasters barn (it was custom-made and purchased by the seller, who took it DOWN to move it to her new place - but she didn't get a new place and sold it to US Lucky us!)

So we have 72 x 56 MDBarnmaster barn that we just bought for a fraction of "new". It is a 6 stall shedrow with front and rear porch, and the L -shaped barn has a tack room and hay barn at the other end. It is a DREAM!

So we JUST got the site prepared (grading, holes drilled, concrete footings poured - and concrete pad for tack room and hay barn floor)

And now......IT GETS INSTALLED/ERECTED ON WEDNESDAY! We are soooo excited!

Site prep costs alot. You have to pay the excavator/grader, then pay the concrete guys and concrete is expensive. Then you have to pay the barn-installation crew.

MD Barns says installation is 10% of purchase price. We just lucked out because we bought the barn used, off of Craigslist

Here's pics (from seller, before she took it down)
    http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps6d69b4e8.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps7051da38.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...psa86d00e4.jpg

But we are in California - with very mild weather and I did NOT want an 'enclosed barn'.....this is perfect for us.

You sound like you know what you want and found a great property. Have fun with the project!!!! Be prepared to pay alot of money. It ain't cheap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    Due to knuckleheadism, it still isn't done.
    This was my first clue that I was going to really enjoy your blog.
    WOW. I love your wit.

Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post

I also called Choice Barns today after they were recommended and was shocked when they quoted me more than MD for the same design. Must be a difference in area, but I was pretty surprised!
    When I got quotes from Choice and MD it was a couple of years ago, so guess things changed!

Have you checked out Barn Pros website, just for fun? They have some gorgeous kit barns, are based in the Northwest, and I just like to see all the different options. They do seem to have some on special right now, so it can give you an idea on material cost, although I'm pretty sure they are high end. Still, fun to check out and be inspired! http://www.barnpros.com

And Crone has good advice. Here, the knuckleheads didn't strew taco wrappers and Big Gulps, but the cigarette butts in my dry grass and the nails nails nails everywhere...that made me want to commit murder! Next time I build anything horse related, I want something in the contract that gives me a $50 discount for every flipping nail I find on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    This was my first clue that I was going to really enjoy your blog.
    WOW. I love your wit.
    Well aren't you a sweetie! You remind me, I really oughtta update that thing.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Next time I build anything horse related, I want something in the contract that gives me a $50 discount for every flipping nail I find on the ground.
    Wish I'd done that on the house. I went through with a magnet nearly every day and found lots of nails. Unfortunately, I also found 4 nails in various tires.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket