The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another Fashion Question: Brown Jacket

Hi!

First time posting a topic on the Hunter/Jumper forum and I wanted to get feedback on the thoughts on brown jackets.

I compete in breed shows and they have sport horse divisions. Now these classes are predominately judged by hunter/jumper judges as opposed to judges specific to our breed.

I ride a chestnut and my huntcoat is a medium brown think in the neighborhood of Havana and has a slight pinstripe to it that is really only noticeable if you are close up. Also, all of my show shirts are light or white with a pinstripe too. None of them are "loud" colored but they aren't plain white either.

With it I wear mid-tone khaki colored breaches, black boots, tradition velvet helmet, and brown gloves.

Am I committing fashion no-no's? I want to look the "part" as much as I can.

If the jacket and shirts are okay should I get brown boots and a different helmet?

I'm already thinking up upgrading to a different helmet that is more "in".

Thanks!

I would say if you really want to change your helmet, then change it. I'm personally not a fan of the hunt caps, although they are acceptable and traditional. As for jackets, a brown one is beautiful, but if you're wearing black boots, I would wear black gloves as well. Just changing to black gloves is a lot cheaper than buying brown boots. If for some reason you really want to go the brown boots, brown gloves, brown helmet, brown coat route, go ahead, but I do believe that you're not supposed to wear brown boots in night classes or weekend or something to that affect because it's not considered formal attire.
    Last edited by hunterrider23; Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: clarity
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I would say if you really want to change your helmet, then change it. I'm personally not a fan of the hunt caps, although they are acceptable and traditional. As for jackets, a brown one is beautiful, but if you're wearing black boots, I would wear black gloves as well. Just changing to black gloves is a lot cheaper than buying brown boots. If for some reason you really want to go the brown boots, brown gloves, brown helmet, brown coat route, go ahead, but I do believe that you're not supposed to wear brown boots in night classes or weekend or something to that affect because it's not considered formal attire.
    Yes I do know hunt caps are not as popular anymore on the hunter/jumper circuit still the standard in main ring breed classes but not so much in our sport horse divisions. I'm fine with buying a new helmet it is time anyways.

Wow I didn't realize the all brown route could potentially be considered informal that is something to consider!

I'm happy to hear my brown jacket isn't a fashion no-no it definitely compliments him and I nicely and I had the jacket made specifically to wear with this horse.

I also didn't even thing about my gloves needing to match my boots. I went with brown gloves as the contrast was high between my jackets and gloves and I thought it might call too much attention to my hands. Not that I have bad hands but thought the brown gloves went better with the brown jacket. Easy change though.

Thanks!

Love brown jackets on chestnuts! I have a gorgeous chestnut and I have been coveting a brown coat for quite some time. Unfortunately, I got a really nice one for Christmas that is still new with tags, that no longer fits me because I have lost quite a bit of weight (yay)!

My gelding is still green and I am playing around with him at local shows and have fox hunted him a few times, as well as numerous hunter trials/paces. I love how my brown tweed or brown jacket looks on him with brown gloves, my brown Dehners (pretty much new on ebay for $150!), and brown Charles Owen velvet Hampton looks! Granted my brown boots are a bit short for the hunter ring- they are traditional hunt boots for informal days. With my tax return money I am thinking about getting a pair of custom La Mundials or DeNiro's in a beautiful chocolate brown! *swoon*

For the show ring I love the look of a pale yellow, pale blue shirt paired with it.

Brown is traditional after all, there was a recent thread about this if you do a search. My thoughts are go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post
    Love brown jackets on chestnuts! I have a gorgeous chestnut and I have been coveting a brown coat for quite some time. Unfortunately, I got a really nice one for Christmas that is still new with tags, that no longer fits me because I have lost quite a bit of weight (yay)!

My gelding is still green and I am playing around with him at local shows and have fox hunted him a few times, as well as numerous hunter trials/paces. I love how my brown tweed or brown jacket looks on him with brown gloves, my brown Dehners (pretty much new on ebay for $150!), and brown Charles Owen velvet Hampton looks! Granted my brown boots are a bit short for the hunter ring- they are traditional hunt boots for informal days. With my tax return money I am thinking about getting a pair of custom La Mundials or DeNiro's in a beautiful chocolate brown! *swoon*

For the show ring I love the look of a pale yellow, pale blue shirt paired with it.

Brown is traditional after all, there was a recent thread about this if you do a search. My thoughts are go for it!
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only fan of brown! It is definitely very complementary to my gelding and the whole reason I had the coat made last year. I just didn't give tons of thought to the rest of my attire in regards to the type of judges we would now be showing under.

I'm glad to hear a hunter/jumper judge isn't going to wonder about my brown coat!

However, it does show like black boots, black gloves, and helmet are the way to go for showing correct? We compete at rated shows and on a regional and national level so I would say for the most part the attire needs to be "formal"

Thanks!

I would say black/black/black would be safe. No one will ever question you for it. Plus should you choose to own a navy or black coat down along the road, especially if you chose to do any sort of eq class or hunter classic (where the basic social norm is to always wear a black or navy coat and white shirt), it will always match. The thing about black boots, gloves, and helmet is that it will always be in style and always be appropriate at shows.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I would say black/black/black would be safe. No one will ever question you for it. Plus should you choose to own a navy or black coat down along the road, especially if you chose to do any sort of eq class or hunter classic (where the basic social norm is to always wear a black or navy coat and white shirt), it will always match. The thing about black boots, gloves, and helmet is that it will always be in style and always be appropriate at shows.
    This is an excellent point! I think i will go that route for now since I just recently purchased new black boots and I have to get a new helmet anyways. I already own black gloves so that is an easy change.

Maybe I'll save an all brown look for dressage =)

1 members found this post helpful.

For the rated I would do black helmet, black gloves, and black boots paired with a brown coat! Absolutely! Brown looks super sharp on a chestnut

Quote Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post
    For the rated I would do black helmet, black gloves, and black boots paired with a brown coat! Absolutely! Brown looks super sharp on a chestnut
    I can't tell you how happy that makes me that it is acceptable! I have the black boots and gloves. Now time to shop for a new helmet mine has seen better days!

I so want a tan/brown coat but I would stick with my black boots! Going a bit outside the norm is ok but if you do, you better rock the ride!

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm wearing a brown jacket on a chestnut in my display picture. I personally love brown
    a horseless canuck...

Can someone post a pic of their brown jacket? I have a jacket that I consider to be a light brown plaid that I bought for riding a chocolate bay, however I'm not sure it is the same type of brown you all are describing. I have never worn anything like this and haven't had the guts to do it yet so would love some photos from others!

Quote Originally Posted by anmoro View Post
    Can someone post a pic of their brown jacket? I have a jacket that I consider to be a light brown plaid that I bought for riding a chocolate bay, however I'm not sure it is the same type of brown you all are describing. I have never worn anything like this and haven't had the guts to do it yet so would love some photos from others!
    I bought one, too, recently, to wear while showing my brown mare. Mine is a medium brown with pinstripes, though. Wish I could post a pic, but right now the jacket is being altered. Hope I get it back in time for my next show. I think it will look great, though I admit I don't show at the A level. I doubt anyone will even raise their eyebrows at me unless I fall off or something.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have a medium brown coat that has a light blue and pink plaid in it, very subtle. I wear it with a light blue or light pink shirt, and tan breeches. I've paired it with brown boots and also with black boots, always get nice complements on how well it looks with my sorrel paint. Because my brown helmet no longer fits I wear a black helmet with it, and just match my gloves to my boots.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

I have a chocolate brown Ariat coat with a tan plaid that matches my brown GPA perfectly. I would wear the brown jacket/helmet with a pink shirt and tan TS and black boots on my rather plain chestnut who was a decent enough mover but would get lost in the crowd. I would wear the brown ensemble on hack day. But as someone pointed out, if you're going to make yourself stick out you better rock that ride!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...2/_DSC6081.jpg

That's from several years ago when I had the plain chestnut. I now have a HUGE flashy chestnut, so once he gets a little more solid I may rock the brown again.

Really pretty coat, Denzel.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a lovely brown coat but I always did brown gloves to make it continuous. I have a charcoal GPA and black boots. Though I like it I would love to get the either a brown or navy helmet. Then again I don't show in the "A" hunters...

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...940_8193_n.jpg

2 members found this post helpful.

Hey OP, I don't have a brown jacket, but I do have a brown helmet (used to be black), it's in my profile picture on here!

Default Can I pull it off with this horse?

Denzel and Just My Style. You all have now inspired me! My horse is a bay, right now he is kind of ruddy looking post body clip, but he gets pretty red in the summer. Do you think I can pull it off? Here is a pic of him now post clip

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...41714964_n.jpg

and here is a pic of what he tends to look like in the summer:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...57405594_n.jpg

Here is the coat. It's brown but has an olive-ish tone:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...09508226_n.jpg

The picture of the coat isn't loading for me...