The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

purpl, Pancho Villa is who we are talking about, and about his sire and dam, sire is Icarus De Carolina and dam is SS Sassy

Icarus is an approved stallion Selle Francais, that is half arab (dam side)
    Sassy is a TB that has been approved by the Selle Francais registry

I am excited by the fact that I know both dam and sire

1 members found this post helpful.

Actually he is quite a bit more arabian than 1/2 though he looks much more a warmblood. The Arabian blood is good working stock and nothing modern.

Quote Originally Posted by columbus View Post
    I am curious if the pedigree is correct for this stallion. Was he bred in the US? I don't remember Amour Parfait standing here. The dam Zhar Beduette is by Ibn Bedu who likely is French but has Rafgar and Fadjur on the dam side which are American Arabians not French. I am wondering if the dam side of the pedigree is wrong. Allbreedpedigree is often wrong. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/icarus+de+carolina
    If anyone can find a good source more likely to be correct I would appreciate it...it is not listed on the web site. PatO
    Icarus and Parfait were bred by Fernando Cardenas, Sr at 3H Equestrian, then in North Carolina, now in Ocala. Beduette was a fantastic little mare who remained at 3H into her late 20's. The above pedigree is correct.

There are pictures here: (hopefully these links work)
    Beduette
    Parfait
    Icarus

Ike has produced a number of fantastic jumpers, and a handful of nice eventers in recent years. Kyle Carter rode Quo Vadis Car for Fernando Sr at training level (IIRC) before she was sold, and Natalia Neneman now has Rocky Car.

Ike is one of the best kept secrets in American breeding, but I'm hoping Boyd's recent purchase will bring him a bit more recognition.
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.
    ~Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere

I am thinking that Pancho Villa was also bred by Sr, but he is not named like most of Sr horses that he breeds

But Jr use to compete both Icarus and Sassy and both were owned by Sr in that time frame

most of the FL bred horses have Car in their name and most of the NC horses have Carolina in their name

Pancho Villa was bred by Sr, in Florida, but Car was eventually dropped from his name for whatever reason.

Some old pictures of him as a yearling were turned up a couple of days ago and posted on FB by Sr's former working student. I'm pretty sure she's on COTH, so maybe she'll see this and post them here
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.

Today's update on Boyd and Silva's blog has some great video:

Pancho Villa

1 members found this post helpful.

thanks for the link Kaelurus

Pancho looks so lovely