The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boyd's new advanced horse....

Is by a stallion my husband and I shoe! Icarus is 17 and has been showing jumpers with a junior IIRC following a career mostly focused on dressage. He's only 15.3 but is clearly pretty athletic! His trainer just had two mares by him for sale, maybe I shoulda jumped on that....!

Jennifer

I saw this on facebook, I know the owners and use to board at the their barn, with my horse being the "buffer" boy next to Icarus, he is such a sweet doll, I am so excited to see this

he has shown jumpers in the adult and then junior classes, his rider was 14 when she started to show him, and he has a fair bit of dressage training

Yes, Ike is a wonderful stallion (and his owner is pretty great, too! ). Ike and two of his daughters were boarded at JMP last year. Phenomenal personality, lovely movement, and mind-blowing jump, especially for his conservative size. All-around classiness.

We often speculated about his potential as an event sire. Question answered.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...advanced-horse

just adding the link, also adding that the dam use to event, not sure what level she competed at but she did event

Loved the bit about Boyd being excited to find good American horses. A working student of his picked up a TB relatively recently, through New Vocations, whose sire stands locally (stud's name is Stonesider), and the stud farm is thrilled about it! We've been talking about breeding him for sport as well, they really would like to see him make a splash in the show ring, as well as on the track.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

2 members found this post helpful.

My friend and I saw this horse go with its former rider Sydney Conley-Elliott at Richmond last year and just loved it. Its a good pick on Boyd's part, though its unfortunate it means that Conley-Elliott no longer has the ride. I have been very very impressed with her the few times that I've seen her ride. Her SJ round on this horse at Richland was extremely impressive, as was the portion of her XC round that I saw at Red Hills.

Does the stallion have a website or photos anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Timex View Post
    Loved the bit about Boyd being excited to find good American horses.
    This bears repeating! Nice to see.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Yes definitely! There are lots of good NA horses out there...just have to actually look here and not overseas.

This horse looks really cool!

2 members found this post helpful.

Sydney is an incredible rider, and I really sad to see her not have the ride anyone. I was so excited she was finally getting a name for herself. Sad to hear about this....

Quote Originally Posted by Glenbaer View Post
    Yes, Ike is a wonderful stallion (and his owner is pretty great, too! ). Ike and two of his daughters were boarded at JMP last year.
    Ike is very nice, although if you didn't go looking at his parts, you'd think he was a mild-mannered kid's horse. He was about the least dominant animal in the barn.

When I saw the news about Boyd's horse, I was wondering if it was the same stallion. I wouldn't say that they look much alike, but obviously both are athletic and trainable.

I would think Ike is a good option for US eventing mares.

Pancho Villa looks much more like his dam, she is an approved TB

I saw the horse (Pancho Villa) run at Poplar last September. Very nice looking guy and that is cool to have the connection.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

It's worth noting that Icarus de Carolina is according to this, 90.43% xx/ox blood. His dam is an Arabian, and there's more ox on the sire's side.

Pancho Villa is a TB-Arab cross, although I expect he's usually referred to as Selle Francais.

Icarus is an approved Selle Francais whose dam did the Grand Prix, I have seen the vhs and yes Sassy is a TB that happens to be approved and in the mare books

Default Icarus de Carolina?

I am curious if the pedigree is correct for this stallion. Was he bred in the US? I don't remember Amour Parfait standing here. The dam Zhar Beduette is by Ibn Bedu who likely is French but has Rafgar and Fadjur on the dam side which are American Arabians not French. I am wondering if the dam side of the pedigree is wrong. Allbreedpedigree is often wrong. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/icarus+de+carolina
    If anyone can find a good source more likely to be correct I would appreciate it...it is not listed on the web site. PatO

columbus, this is the Icarus de Carolina entry at the Haras nationaux website.

Default Thanks very interesting...no message.

no message

Did I miss the post where the name of the horse was mentioned in connection with Boyd?

I've gathered that (I think) we are talking about Pancho Villa??

I saw him do the YEH stuff with Mike Huber in 2007.
    Yup, he was always announced as a Selle Francais.
    (no different than Windfall (who is an anglo-arab) being registered Trakehner) hehehe

From what I remember he didn't do very well at that age. Soooooo interesting to see one who was not scored wonderfully through the YEH has made a GREAT advanced horse.

And just last night I was reading through the conformation clinic in the Eventing Magazine and the first gray horse listed apparently scored quite well through YEH but then topped out at Intermediate. (though Intermediate is still impressive to me. lol)

If I remember correctly, Sydney had a really nice horse that went up to Karen O'Connor back in the day. And for some reason I was remembering that he passed away. Anyone know who I'm talking about?
    Gosh, I just don't remember his name.

Sydney does a nice job and brings along a lot of nice ponies!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I'm thrilled to see a SF getting some "cred"
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble