The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who was the 1996 Show Jumping Olympic Alternate?

Hi there. I used to ride the h/j circuit as a junior but have been out of the loop for a decade or so. Anyway, one of my good girlfriends in FL (not a horse person) has been dating a guy that told her he competed in the Olympic games in 1996. I don't want to mention his name, but I was actually at the Atlanta games to watch in 1996 and he was not on the team. When my friend brought it up to him, he claimed to be the team alternate. I recall McLain Ward being the alternate if my memory serves me right. She sent me a youtube interview and this guys internet bio where he claims he was "champion of the country" twice, was the Olympic team alternate in 1996 and rode for the US show jumping team. Can anyone tell me who the 1996 alternate really was or where I can find this information? Also, has anyone ever heard of someone claiming to be "champion of the country?" I know I am out of the loop, but I don't recall anyone ever using this term. This guy seems like a total con artist and I think he is trying to con my friend with his lies. Thank you.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Why don't you give us the link to his youtube bio and we can then tell you if it;s true?
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

3 members found this post helpful.

Tim Grubb was the alternate in 1996, I'm pretty certain I'm remembering correctly.

1 members found this post helpful.

And in that case, Tim Grubb has been dearly departed for 3 years now, so I doubt he is your mystery Olympic Alternate.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

2 members found this post helpful.

Found this link, but it doesn't list alternate.

http://www.uset.org/olympicteams.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie Meggie View Post
    "told her he competed in the Olympic games in 1996. I don't want to mention his name"

"claimed to be the team alternate."
    And whoever he is, the alternate did not ride, so this guy never "competed" at the Olympic games.

Well the story gets more complex...this guy also claimed to be engaged to Emily Epstein within the last few years but they broke it off because she has borderline personality disorder. Does anyone know if this is true? Funny you mention Tim Grubb because that is who he allegedly rode with. He also claimed he got out of the sport because he was partnered with Michelle Grubb and she burned him very badly. Everything sounds fishy...

Honestly, it sounds to me like he knows some big names and some big places but doesn't know enough to realize how easily verifiable it all is.

I would advise your friend to tread very very cautiously. Or to stick him on greenest/least well behaved horse in the barn and have him show his skills

6 members found this post helpful.

Fork over the links. I can't be the only one googling all the key words in your first post to no avail. And now I'm really interested.

6 members found this post helpful.

Back in the olden days (the eighties) I dated this guy one time who claimed to have ridden in the Olympics. It was in the city where I was in college (DC) and he had no idea I knew anything about horses. I seriously doubted his claim but instead of challenging him directly, I simply asked if he knew what an oxer was and guess what, he did not. Sounds like this guy is more knowledgable but now there's the internet so it's harder to get away with a claim like that.

EEEEEE
    I would say tell your friend to stay away. Because it just all sounds fishy and anyone that is willing to mention names and the names being the reason for something with bad connotations happening is not someone anyone will want to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie Meggie View Post
    Well the story gets more complex...this guy also claimed to be engaged to Emily Epstein within the last few years but they broke it off because she has borderline personality disorder. Does anyone know if this is true? Funny you mention Tim Grubb because that is who he allegedly rode with. He also claimed he got out of the sport because he was partnered with Michelle Grubb and she burned him very badly. Everything sounds fishy...
    Oh please share links before they close OTD

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Or to stick him on greenest/least well behaved horse in the barn and have him show his skills
    I love this idea!

I know for a fact he was not the alternate. Here is where the plot thickens... My friend ended up catching him cheating on her. Of course he denied it. Her friend posted him on some cheater website. He was cheating with a woman that is a lawyer and believes he is telling the truth and my friend is crazy and the liar. This idiot lawyer new girlfriend of his now had him file a lawsuit to sue my friend for false accusations. This guy is absolutely ridiculous and needs to be stopped. She is being bullied by him and he is the one who is the liar and cheater.

what.

what is going on here.

what is OTD?

Darn I was hoping this was going to be fun and possibly an ex who could tell some wicked stories.

Now it seems like it's just a troll....Where's the troll icon.

If Tim Grubb was an alternate, then this guy is impersonating a dead guy? This guy is a sicko!

So does anyone know if Emily Epstein really has borderline personality disorder? I am not a troll. This is all very true. His initials are JC.