The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have known horses tossed out to a field with no grooming, and just grass, maybe a bit of hay tossed to them that had amazing dapples.

Sooty comes to mind when I see this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrethauer View Post
    Is this the same horse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW09rw7luHo?

He looks like a bay and doesn't have a dorsal stripe... Probably not buckskin, but could be the wrong horse
    Buckskins do not have a dorsal stripe. A line back dun, or dun do have a dorsal stripe.

My bay will dapple a lot. If I kept him cut like this horse he'd probably look close to this. He dappled so much that my vet saw him from 20ft back walking up to him one day and until he got closer he said he thought he had hives because the dappled were so pronounced through his winter coat lol
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

4 members found this post helpful.

He looks like a bay and doesn't have a dorsal stripe... Probably not buckskin, but could be the wrong horse
    Same name, same color, same owner, from six months ago- most likely the same horse.

I've seen horses whose coats turned a different color in Florida, but usually in a less flattering way.

3 members found this post helpful.

I had one that dappled amazingly all of the time. Dark bay with copper dapples. However, not as dramatic as the pictures of Timber Ridge.

Kbrethauer - remember Trooper?
    The truth is always in the middle.

Why do I seem to be the only one that cant see the original picture?
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbrook View Post
    Why do I seem to be the only one that cant see the original picture?
    You have to click on the link, which shows the class winner in the top picture, then click on the picture below that says Timber Ridge when you run the mouse over it.

From Horse Color Explained by Jeanette Gower:

We must distinguish between the more or less permanent dapples of the grey and taffy, and the seasonal nature of dapples in other colors, particularly in bays, browns, chestnuts and palominos.

Seasonal dapples are the result of the sooty factor, which also gives a darker overcast to the entire body. These dapples usually appear at first change of summer coat and fade away after some months. They are a response to good health, seasonal conditions and feed regime. However, there is a certain genetic predisposition towards this as some horses never show dappling even in the best of health.

The inheritance of seasonal dappling has not been studied and it would be a difficult task given the sensitivity of dappling to environmental influences. It is likely that the sooty gene Sty(S)is responsible for dappling in ordinary colours and has a variable penetrance. Under this hypothesis, Sty(S) would darken a bay horse to dappled bay or bay with a lot of black through the coat, often including a cast or smudge down the bridge of the nose. A brown horse would be dappled brown or almost black. Palomino and buckskin would be sooty with dapples.

The Sty(S) gene affects the body more than the legs. It also creates a bask down the bridge of the nose.

Clear colours bred to clear colours always give clear colours.
    Hope that helps a bit, both horses are gorgeous.

^ What is a bask on the nose? I've never heard that word used as a noun.

One of mine dapples no matter what. She used to get clipped multiple times over winter, groomed and rubbed every day etc. when she was showing. Now she gets groomed and trail ridden twice a week - never clipped, and dapples the same (or better). I got her as a skinny, sunbleached malnourished 6-year old, and I could still see dapples. I agree with the genetic component of dappling, and not with the nutritional/care part.

1 members found this post helpful.

Cool looking horse. I've noticed the last few months that many of the horses at our barn seem to be more dappled than in past years. We are in Florida; some are clipped, some not. I was wondering to myself whether the weather has some influence - since there has been no change in care to account for the difference.

Edited to add: apparently I don't read too well - just noted that post 27 includes "seasonal conditions" as a factor. guess that's pretty much "the weather".
    Last edited by 2tempe; Apr. 7, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    ^ What is a bask on the nose? I've never heard that word used as a noun.
    Perhaps a typo for mask?

I've worked with a lot of percherons with amazing dapples- and always understood that the root of the patterning was connected to the vascular system- (having no idea how that manifests as color- but that was the explanation for those wild star shaped dapples and patterns on the legs..)

I recently saw a nature show that had a scene which really blew me away. The show was about vampire bats, and they had filmed sleeping cattle being preyed upon by these tiny bats- they would crawl up to the cow and nestle in for a long sup... and they had filmed with some sort of special heat sensitive night vision camera- and the resulting black and greyish green spooky image- the cow looked perfectly dappled... only you could see her dapples PULSING!! It was really cool. I'd love to get photos of a horse with similar technology- and then compare to photos of the animal's dapples.

This is a picture of a horse belonging to a friend. I think he's got some of the prettiest dapples ever!

1 members found this post helpful.

^^ Interesting! And the mare I knew with the MOST amazing dapples, was a Percheron cross...