The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I find funny that some people think bigger stalls means more work. I find here that it is the exact opposite. I have two 12x12 and two 12x16. Mares when in the larger stalls are cleaner because they have more space so they dont mess up the stall by walking in their pee spots or manure. Yes it is more bedding at first but then less to add each time you muck as they waiste less bedding. I have mares between 16.1 and 16.2 in the larger stalls, they are broodmares, in at night and out for the day in winter, and the way around in summer.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Depends on the horse - give a horse an in & out, & many horses will seldom potty in their stall, instead treating it as a "bed" area.
    Definitely depends on the horse! Mine obviously think of their stalls as a large litterbox. We rarely close them in, they only come in the stalls to eat and the rest of the time they are open to get out of the weather (they also have a run-in). My gelding will actually walk in his stall just to pee, then leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I find funny that some people think bigger stalls means more work.
    Again, totally depends on the horse. If you have a stall-walker or nervous-nellie type, the bigger stall means you are practically stripping out the stall every day. Not all horses appreciate the extra room, they will just use it to pick up speed. (of course, that's the horse that needs to be on 24/7 turnout but sometimes the weather just won't cooperate)

Mine will walk ALL the way in from the grass to pee in their stalls, then walk ALL the way back out. Which is why the stalls are kept closed unless the weather is foul. I guess they appreciate the absorbent bedding rather than having pee splashing up on them.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Mine will walk ALL the way in from the grass to pee in their stalls, then walk ALL the way back out. Which is why the stalls are kept closed unless the weather is foul. I guess they appreciate the absorbent bedding rather than having pee splashing up on them.
    They are
    a) being considerate of you - don't want to make you clean more than one area
    b) don't want to sully the yummy grass with pee

I so agree with this. I put down pellets with some deeper shavings in one area - becomes the pee spot. Mine, given space, will keep their poop in the back and their bed area clean. They aren't in every night, but when in, they want to lie down, dry out their feet, and not worry. 10x10, they just give up and make a mess.
    I find funny that some people think bigger stalls means more work. I find here that it is the exact opposite. I have two 12x12 and two 12x16. Mares when in the larger stalls are cleaner because they have more space so they dont mess up the stall by walking in their pee spots or manure. Yes it is more bedding at first but then less to add each time you muck as they waiste less bedding. I have mares between 16.1 and 16.2 in the larger stalls, they are broodmares, in at night and out for the day in winter, and the way around in summer.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Larger stalls are easier to clean. Even normal stall stirrers in smaller stalls will pick a spot to use so they don't have to walk in it. We have a number of different size stalls. I've tried all the horses in the different sized stalls, so I can say this from experience. 12 x 16 is a good size, and if I ever built another barn, I wouldn't go smaller.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

+1 I hadn't read the thread, but went back to read it to see if anyone else had the same experience that I did.

My horse has a stall that 9 x 14 that's available to him; by reading this thread, it sounds to small (17h draft x). BUT, usually, he's turned out 24/7. I would only bring him in for severe weather conditions - is that size ok for rare use?

I have a barn that is 16X32 - 1 of the stalls is 8X16 the other 2 are 12x16. 9 times out of 10 I find BOTH my horses in the 8x16. They even lay down in it.

I am thinking about making the 8x16 into a 12x16 by adding poles and moving the pipes over. The only problem is, (It might not be a problem) is that I would have a pole in the middle of the stall. Then the 8X16 would be in the middle of the 2 bigger ones and I would enclose it and make it into a feed/Tack room.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    +1 I hadn't read the thread, but went back to read it to see if anyone else had the same experience that I did.
    My gelding had the largest stall in the barn...he plowed the bedding under nice and evenly...I HAD to strip the whole damned thing every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.