The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stall size quandary!

I'm restoring my old barn that has structural posts at different distances (12',10',10',and 12'). The stalls are 15' deep. So my dilemma is that I can either have two 12' x 15' stalls on each end and two 10' x 15' stalls in the middle OR I can divide the first three sections into two and have two 16' x 15' stalls and one 12' x 15' stall on the end.

The only reason I lean towards the larger stalls is that my two geldings are big, 16.2h and 17.3h. I think they would be too large for a 10' narrow stall.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

what are your drawbacks to the larger stalls? (you end up with less stalls, you'll have to use more bedding) If that's the only problems and you're OK with that I would go with the bigger stalls. Rarely do you hear someone say, "I like everything about my barn, but the stalls are just so darn big!"

2 members found this post helpful.

How much time will your horses spend inside?

I would choose four stalls, and configure the middle two so that the divider comes out. That way you have lots of options, and 10 x 15 is a nice big stall.

Of course if you have 4 stalls you know how many horses you will end up with!
    Click here before you buy.

My only real drawback to the larger stalls would be three instead of four. This isn't a really issue only having two horses currently. I'm sure if I have more stalls I WILL be tempted to fill them!

My boys are in at night all year round about 10-13 hours depending on the season.

Thank you for your feedback!

12x15 is plenty big for your guys! heck, 10x10 would be sufficient!

you should be golden!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I have 10 X 14 stalls. It's plenty big for my smallish herd (biggest mare is 16hh), they call have a foot or two to spare when they stand on the short side (which is how they usually stand, I don't know why).

I have one stall that's 4" bigger than the others and my arthritic mare gets that one because she's not as nimble and has a wider turning radius. If your guys are big and older, I'd say bigger = better.

I had a 17.3 boarder for a while and 12 x 12 stalls. It really was too small for him. 12 x 12 has been fine for the rest...my Bluey was 17.1. When we were thinking of adding on, we had designed 12 x 16 stalls for the bigger boys.

We turned down the farm across the road because it had 10 x 10 stalls. There's no way my big guy would have been comfortable. And that's another thing to consider, you're limiting your resale with the smaller stalls (oh I see that was someone else suggesting 10 x 10 stalls). You can always put a pony in a horse sized stall but not vice versa.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Default go big

and the less stalls you have, the less you'll fill.

I've had big horses all my life. Most were to big for a 10' stall.

My current stalls are 14x14 (that's where the posts were and one stall that is 14x20. Guess which one the really big horse likes best?

1 members found this post helpful.

All of our horses are 16+ hands. 12X12 is OK, but the bigger guys really fit better in our 12X16 stalls. We have 5 12X12 and 8 12X16 stalls. The difference is significant.

My stalls are 12 x 16. I have no idea how we used to stuff the 17h guys into 12 x 12's. Now it just seems cruel!

And someone mentioned bedding costs as a potential down side of the larger stalls. I only put bedding in the back half, and bank it. They are smart enough to lay down on the back 8-9' of bedding, and not on the rubber mats. Also, by having the front part of the floor clean, the horses clean up their hay a little better, too.

5 members found this post helpful.

Bigger is better for bigger horses. That size horse, whew! I had one at my place boarding and he was 17.3 and he LITERALLY filled my 12x12. No such thing as too much room with a big horse. Big as in your kind of big.

I have a 16.3 WB in a stall that actually measures 12'4" x 12'6" and it's big enough for him to hold a party in there. I can't imagine 10 x 14 wouldn't be fine.

I would say split it into 4 stalls but make the divider between the 2-10x15 stalls removable. That way you can use it as a 20x15 stall but if you ever need the extra stall you'll have it or if ever sell you will have a more versatile barn.

If you do a search somewhere recently on here someone mentioned as stall divider that slides over to expand the stall. It seems like a really functional and easy to handle divider that could work well for your situation.

I agree with those who say go big, especially since one of your horses is 17.3 (wow!) and they are inside regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenrow View Post
    My stalls are 12 x 16. I have no idea how we used to stuff the 17h guys into 12 x 12's. Now it just seems cruel!

And someone mentioned bedding costs as a potential down side of the larger stalls. I only put bedding in the back half, and bank it. They are smart enough to lay down on the back 8-9' of bedding, and not on the rubber mats. Also, by having the front part of the floor clean, the horses clean up their hay a little better, too.
    That is what we are thinking, 12' x16'.
    Are you going length or width with the dimensions?
    We were thinking 12' deep, 16' wide and then access to the 16' wide runs.

Most everyone here has 12' x 12' stalls and 12' wide runs and their horses kept fighting, especially when horses are taken out or brought back in or at feeding time and are hard on the fences between runs.
    I think 12' wide runs are too narrow, horses tend to feel irritated by neighbors more when that close.

Having boarded at a barn with 16' stalls, I can tell you, bigger stall just means more to clean. Mine live in a pasture (I still choose to keep the run-in cleaned out) as I'm not a fan of stalling, but one doesn't always have that option.

We only put about 1" of shavings in the back half of the stalls. Urine control, not bedding. They sleep just fine on the hard ground outside. Kiln dried shavings are horrible for their feet anyway.

If you look at post #12 on this link: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-corner-stalls there are pictures of the stall divider I was referring to. Personally I think it's an ingenious way to keep your option open and making it very simple to change the configuration around.

As with most things horse a lot of owners look at things with human eyes instead of horse eyes. Too each their own. Like bedding a stall, people want it to look like something they would lay down in. A horse only sees it as a place to take a dump. Usually as soon as it walks in the stall after being out all day. Bigger stalls require more work simple as that. Unless you are raising Clydesdales IMO there is not reason to go bigger then 12X12 which is pretty much the standard size. 10x10 is fine also. A lot of people think this is small but only because they are used to seeing 12X12. IMO A horse could care less. Even 17+ hand horses. Our foaling stalls are 14X14 but we have foaled plenty in 12X10 and never had any problems. The mares and foals don’t live in them anyway. There have been studies that have shown horses in smaller stalls are far less likely to get cast. Low ceilings are far safer to work in with young horses. As always to each their own.

As others have said when building stalls, if you build them they will come.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    As with most things horse a lot of owners look at things with human eyes instead of horse eyes. Too each their own. Like bedding a stall, people want it to look like something they would lay down in. A horse only sees it as a place to take a dump.
    Depends on the horse - give a horse an in & out, & many horses will seldom potty in their stall, instead treating it as a "bed" area.
    You can easily observe the same behavior in turnout, there is a "designated" potty area for the herd & no one grazes in that zone.

Then there are the odd horses that do everything in their stalls & have pristine paddocks ...

If you want to get technical, there are actual veterinary & behavioral studies relating horse size/turning radius/physics of lying down/getting up etc to stall size.