The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Banking...does this ever happen to you?

I bank at BofA...that's my first problem!

Today, I needed to withdraw a large sum of cash. Way more than you can get out of an ATM. Went to the driveup window and you'd have thought I put a gun to their heads.

The teller looked me up and down and then went and got what I imagine was the supervisor. Both of them kept looking at my ID and my check and then at the computer screen. I must have sat there for ten minutes and I was the only one at the drivethrough.

There was plenty of money in the account, so I'm not sure what the issue was. The name/address on the check was the same as my driver's license.

This wasn't the first time something like this has happened. Anyone else encounter this kind of treatment?

Hmmm, not at mine....

I know the bank DH works for requires you to come inside when withdrawing a large sum/cashing a check (versus depositing).

How weird.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post

Today, I needed to withdraw a large sum of cash. Way more than you can get out of an ATM. Went to the driveup window and you'd have thought I put a gun to their heads.

The teller looked me up and down and then went and got what I imagine was the supervisor. Both of them kept looking at my ID and my check and then at the computer screen. I must have sat there for ten minutes and I was the only one at the drivethrough.

There was plenty of money in the account, so I'm not sure what the issue was. The name/address on the check was the same as my driver's license.

This wasn't the first time something like this has happened. Anyone else encounter this kind of treatment?

Personally, I think I'd be relieved that when withdrawing large sums of money from my bank account, that the bank was very careful about ensuring that all the correct information lined up and that there wasn't anything alarming about the transaction. This is particularly true if I wasn't in the habit of making large withdrawals.

15 members found this post helpful.

I've had issues with them as well. In the past they have found some activity suspicious and put a hold on our account. I appreciate the concern but it would be nice to have an idea what has happened BEFORE I get to the checkout with a cartload of groceries.
    They act like the money is theirs...go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post

I would would be thrilled if BOA is extra cautious when a large sum of cash is withdrawn from my account.

2 members found this post helpful.

Define 'large.' Over a certain dollar amount you start hitting currency transaction reporting requirements.... But i agree, i'd be happy to be scrutinized in that situation.
    Last edited by charismaryllis; Apr. 2, 2013 at 08:10 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

4 members found this post helpful.

And what would you say if they gave money from your account to an imposter ? BoA called me last week and asked if the ticket purchases in London were legit. They weren't - new card on the way overnite. Don't kick the gift horse in the nuts !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

3 members found this post helpful.

I paid for a young horse and a used car in cash last year-- not huge purchases but well over $200. They did check my ID but otherwise no problems.

Its not just the Bank. I get "that look" a lot because I go to the store directly after work. I weld and sometimes my clothes are holey, dirty, etc. ... Someone at the Meijers wanted to give me a $1.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes I have had to practically give up my 1st born to withdraw a cpl thousand. Yes it's annoying.

I do contract work in the health care industry. Payment is usually thru an insurance company. I went in to cash a measely $480 paycheck and was told it must be deposited. Bank said ALL insurance company checks needed to be deposited....I told them in not so many nice words that they can cash my "ever lovin paycheck" or I would withdraw ALL my funds from their bank. they promptly pulled up my accts, saw I have a fair size deposited with them...lo and behold...they promptly cashed my check....LOL

I bank with BoA and I really like them. I had to withdraw a very large sum of money (closing cost for my home) in the form of a cashier's check and did not have an issue. The clerk did take a little while to confirm some things, but turned her screen towards me and explained what was taking so long--she was looking through past checks I've written to confirm that the signature I had just made for the cashier's check. I am inconsistent with my signature because sometimes I'm in a rush and scribble my last name. I was appreciative of the explanation and thoroughness.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

1 members found this post helpful.

For a large cash transaction ... I'm glad they checked who I was. I find that with on line banking and such I don't know the tellers, and they don't know me. I used to be able to walk up and get checks cashed on sight.

I moved a CD account ... thought it would be fun to withdraw $8,000 in cash and walk over to the other bank. (I know of the cash reporting limit) Never again unless the EOTWAWKI is happening. It was quite a wad in hundred bills. Counting the bills out and in was a long process. Wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. I'm sure the tellers didn't find it fun either.

Yeah, they usually like a heads up for that sort of thing to make sure they have enough cash in the drawers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I once had trouble depositing a check into my account. All I could think was "Seriously? Do they often have people wander in off the street and make random DEPOSITS into other people's accounts?"

Ughh I could'nt stand BofA, so left after many years. First of all, they debit before credit, of course to possibly hit you with every applicable overdraft fee. Second, 3 different times they "moved back" holds on large check deposits (receipt said 9am, they would wait til 5pm), grrrrr. Thirdly (and the straw that broke the camels back), I withdrew a large sum of money (10k) from a branch I'd never been in (yes, horse purchase lol). Never asked for ID, debit card, nada. Thought that was odd. Next, the teller asks me if I would like it in small or large bills (yes, I'd like my ten thousand dollars in pennies please? WTH???)......yes, seriously. I then had to make a second withdrawl that day from same account for $100, and five million red flags went up. They needed the branch manager, ID, debit cards, check, fingerprint, you name it. thought I was going to have to hand over a kid. When I asked why the fuss (I did just walk out that a.m. with 10k no questions asked) , I was told that up until 10k you can withdraw with no questions asked (and apparently no id), but at 10,001 they start asking questions. Did I mention this was a personal account. My money was out that day........ literally someone could get 10k out of your account without much (if any) identification........

We had one white guy in our office in Atlanta who, every time he went into the C&S National Bank, later merged with Bank of America, he was asked for ID. It was so funny. All of us women and blacks went in and cashed out checks with no problem. I'm talking decades here.

I wouldn't have a problem with my bank, I'm still with Bank of America, asking for ID. It's a hassle to have someone empty your bank account when they steal a check. I had victims who had to go through the process of getting their signatures and IDs verified when there checks were stolen and cashed. They had to sign affidavits and also come to court. The banks always did refund their money. So the banks check IDs in order to prevent their loss after refunding your money to you. (I worked at C&S bank in Atlanta one summer when in college. You wouldn't believe how many people try to cash stolen checks.)

I don't walk into banks much now with ATMs and using the internet to transfer funds. But I'd have no problem showing ID to anyone if I did have to cash a check.

Quote Originally Posted by D1nOnlyRocketPony View Post
    Ughh I could'nt stand BofA, so left after many years. First of all, they debit before credit, of course to possibly hit you with every applicable overdraft fee. Second, 3 different times they "moved back" holds on large check deposits (receipt said 9am, they would wait til 5pm), grrrrr. Thirdly (and the straw that broke the camels back), I withdrew a large sum of money (10k) from a branch I'd never been in (yes, horse purchase lol). Never asked for ID, debit card, nada. Thought that was odd. Next, the teller asks me if I would like it in small or large bills (yes, I'd like my ten thousand dollars in pennies please? WTH???)......yes, seriously. I then had to make a second withdrawl that day from same account for $100, and five million red flags went up. They needed the branch manager, ID, debit cards, check, fingerprint, you name it. thought I was going to have to hand over a kid. When I asked why the fuss (I did just walk out that a.m. with 10k no questions asked) , I was told that up until 10k you can withdraw with no questions asked (and apparently no id), but at 10,001 they start asking questions. Did I mention this was a personal account. My money was out that day........ literally someone could get 10k out of your account without much (if any) identification........
    You hit the federal reporting requirements of over $10K, that's why.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

So I have a question about banking. My son was out of town and his credit card payment was due - he asked me to go make the minimum payment for him, but he wasn't sure what it was. They wouldn't tell me. I mean, how is that a privacy violation? I wasn't asking for a balance or personal information - just trying to make sure he didn't get slammed for a late payment. I was GIVING them money! But because I'm not on the account, they couldn't even tell me a minimum payment. I made a wild guess and asked if that was enough to cover the minimum, and they wouldn't even verify that.

Is that normal?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    Define 'large.' Over a certain dollar amount you start hitting currency transaction reporting requirements.... But i agree, i'd be happy to be scrutinized in that situation.
    that is my thought also, we can not deposit any amount greater then $4999.00 in cash without having to start with some form or another... and if you had an amount greater than $10,000 in cash it is reports to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    So I have a question about banking. My son was out of town and his credit card payment was due - he asked me to go make the minimum payment for him, but he wasn't sure what it was. They wouldn't tell me. I mean, how is that a privacy violation? I wasn't asking for a balance or personal information - just trying to make sure he didn't get slammed for a late payment. I was GIVING them money! But because I'm not on the account, they couldn't even tell me a minimum payment. I made a wild guess and asked if that was enough to cover the minimum, and they wouldn't even verify that.

Is that normal?
    actually you may be costing them money, big money for if the payment isn't received the interest rate on the balance may escalate to nearly 30%