The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting White Hair White

Hi everyone! I'm new here.
    I have a Haflinger with a looooong, thick white mane and tail. This week, I washed his mane and tail, using "Goop" (an automotive hand cleaner). It actually worked! I'm most excited because a tub of Goop costs like $1.50 at Walmart.
    What I did was first got the hair wet, then rubbed Goop into it, waited a few minutes, then washed with normal shampoo and conditioner. It was awesome! I really wanted to share my new find with the world

Then I patiently waited for his tail to dry, braided it and stuck in in a brand new tail bag.
    The next morning, I went out and...it was gone. Braid was out. Sigh. I guess I'll just be doing lots of washing...

Ooh, thanks for this. I'm looking for a cleaner for my mare's white tail. I tried using just regular shampoo but it did nothing to get our the really old urine stains. Is Goop known to be safe? What about whitening her fur on her body?

Yes, Goop is awesome AND smells nice. Just use a good conditioner afterwards. There is a huge thread about it over on HGS forum, with lots of testimonials. :-)
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Yes, thanks for the tip! I have a Haflinger and grey Arab and I've never mastered the white tail. If it ever warms up here, I'm going to give it a try!

Oh, and welcome to CotH!

Cool! I am always looking for tips since I own two mostly-white pintos.

Does the Goop bother their skin at all? Thank GOD both pintos have all black tails, although one has an all white mane (black forelock, very cool) but the hardest part to keep clean on him is the gaskins and hocks. Will the stuff bother his skin if I use it there?
    Click here before you buy.

You are supposed to put it on dry. Let it sit for a few minutes, then add shampoo and scrub. Then add water. I have only used it on legs, it did not bother the skin there.

Head & Shoulders or Pert Plus shampoo works as well.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."