The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin Off- Your kid and their responsibilities.

What is a normal day for your child? What chores are they responsible for, are they considered "chores" or just things that they need to do. And what age are we talking...
    Mine is 13. On a daily basis, she gets herself up for school, she takes her personal dog outside, then gets herself ready for school- attends school, comes home and takes both dogs out, in the winter, she stokes the loads the woodstove, then she feeds the two horses feed that has been soaking and is ready. None of that is "chore work",it's just *what you do*. Her chores vary, some days it's pick up your room and make sure your laundry is done (she does her own laundry) or unload the dishwasher or clorox wipe upstairs and downstairs or run the vacuum. Very rarely I will include mop the kitchen floor or clean the bathroom. She helps load hay/feed..she was raking and weeding flower beds this weekend. She helps stack firewood. She sometimes makes dinner, she's got meatloaf, lasagna,spaghetti under her belt and knows how to cut up and roast veggies.
    Reading this makes me feel like I have my very own Cinderella lol.
    Kerri

1 members found this post helpful.

My son is 4. Right now he is responsible for picking up toys after himself and setting the dinner table. He, to a certain extent, feeds the dog and picks up after his pony and waters the garden. He actually wants to do more, but time-wise it is not feasible for us to let him because he is not very good yet at a lot of things and it takes way tooooo long or has to be re-done. My husband is thrilled that he seems fascinated with the whole lawn mowing chore and is chomping at the bit to hand that over.

My kids are 11 & 14. Doing your own laundry starts at 12, so my 11 year old doesn't do hers yet, but she knows how, and is frequently expected to help with "family" laundry. Kids are responsible for their own rooms unless they want me to throw things away.

I have had specific chores in the past for the kids, and it has worked (e.g. house cleaning and specific barn chores). At the moment it's sort of a "free flowing thing" - when I tell them to do things they do; usually I expect help on most days but not always the same ones. So today it was only to walk dogs (so far), but yesterday it was cleaning the bathroom plus a number of other rooms in the house. Outside work as assigned also; generally a few times each week - picking up dog poop, cleaning stalls, sweeping barn and cleaning tack, etc.

I tend to keep kitchen clean-up for myself because I'm faster, but I do make the kids cook for themselves often (and cook for the rest of us as well sometimes) and naturally they have to clean up after that.

Lawn mowing is a chore, but with a riding mower I usually claim that one for myself (if dh doesn't do it first)...everyone wants that job!

No kids, but I was going to start a similar thread about the early working life of the previous generation.

My jobs as a kid were:

Feed the cats.

Vacuuming (as my mom was constitutionally incapable).

Cleaning the bathroom.

Doing laundry if I cared how it came out and when. My mom practiced Darwinian Laundry. She washed all colors together when she had a load. If you wanted something different, you had to do your own.

Mowing the lawn.

Killing rogue plants-- usually fugly juniper bushes that were stickly and deep rooted. I was not in charge of growing plants because my killing instincts were well-developed and not to be wasted.

Taking the garbage out to the curb.

My sister kept the kitchen neat--especially reorganizing the spice rack and throwing out the stuff from 1974.

For a time, we had "Child cooks dinner" nights. We ate a lot of finger food and quesadillas when I was in charge. My sister was a Sloppy Joe woman, without fail.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My older son is still in the house. As an adult, he is expected to pay 30% of his income as rent, pick up after himself, arrange and pay for his bills (cell phone, etc.) and hold up his share of household stuff and help out in general as needed. He also takes his younger brother to school, which is a couple of blocks from where he works.

My younger son is 14 and takes out trash and recycling daily, feeds his cat, sets and clears the table, and empties the dishwasher. He sweeps and dusts every few days. He is expected to help with the laundry with everyone else as part of the family - we all despise laundry chores, and many hands make light work.

Weekly, he is to mow and edge the lawns, and sweep the sidewalks afterwards. Other tasks can and will be assigned without notice. Grumpy attitudes require chores to be added until he remembers to "Just do - it's better that way."
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Mine are a week away from 13 DD and 15 year old DS.

They get up at 6 AM and milk the cows (seriously ) then feed the cows, then back to the house to get ready for school. I usually make their breakfast while they're milking. Then they leave on their bikes for school at 7:45. School until 3:30 then DD does her homework after school until 4:30 and DS has track until 6 pm. At night they milk again and fill water tanks, haul firewood in the winter, seasonal chores.

They both do all their own laundry just as a point of survival, not b/c it's a rule really, they just have taken over that responsibility. DD is a great cook and makes a lot of meals when she wants to, DS does all my heavy lifting and garbage hauling. They both help with hay hauling and DS is my primary tire changer and has been for a few years now. DD is our animal helper, helps with the horses and cows and milks the goat. She is learning to trim the horses and pull shoes from her dad too so that's going to be nice-a "farrier" that has to do what I say!

The animal and firewood chores are their primary daily chores but they both help with anything we ask them to help with. They take turns cleaning and putting away dishes but I do a lot of that too since I'm home all day.

We don't have hard and fast assigned chores, but each of my children know we are a family team and will work together as such.

We all straighten the house's "shared spaces" together daily. We rotate who brings in dogs and feeds them at night. We sort laundry together, and each kid (well, not the 3yo but the older two) put their own away. How they keep their room is up to them, but no friends come over nor may they go to anyone else's homes for sleepovers until their rooms are clean.

Everyone feeds animals in the morning, unless they want to get started on school early which gets them a pass. Kids all have a species to take care of. (Try to feed the 3yo's rabbits, and you'll get an earful. Those are HIS RABBITS.)

ETA: DDs are 11 and newly-9, DS is 3, fwiw.

Anytime an adult asks a child to help with any chore, the required answer around here is "Yes ma'am" or "Yes sir," and hop to it without any grumbling. When grumbling raises its ugly head, more chores ensue until kiddo remembers that their portion of the workload is the cost of living their awesome life.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

1 members found this post helpful.