The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Antibiotics- A VENT

Just wanted to vent about antibiotics being overprescribed in this country. Have a friend who DEMANDS to get a z-pack or other abx as soon as she has symptoms of a cold and the doctor gives it to her! I think I finally talked her out of taking a "few penicillin pills" that she has a stash of whenever she feels sick! This is an educated woman too!

I'm seriously terrified about the proliferation of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, and also about the complete ignorance of so many people about this threat.

**VENT OVER**

2 members found this post helpful.

Totally agree with you. Obviously there are very many cases every day that really do need antibiotics, but as a general rule I really that America is over-medicated.

Don't even get me started on the "Oh, Johnny won't obey his parents, let's slap him with ADD and meds!"

ETA: Please don't think I don't believe in ADD, or the need for chemical help. I just have personally seen (my oen SIL, for one) people jump to that conclusion way too soon. Don't NOT discipline your kid, then assume she has a mdeical issue when she misbehaves. Rant over, sorry
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

OP, I share your concern, as does any person with any common sense and a modicum of medical knowledge.

Back when I was a health educator, I wrote a curriculum for antibiotic use and abuse and felt very passionate about enlightening my students. This is a problem that is shared by health care providers and their patients, and there has to be education from health care professionals about the dangers of overprescribing.

I have a young grandson whose paternal grandmother is one who insists that his pediatrician prescribe for every little sniffle. It makes me nuts. (And yes, there is a 50/50 custody situation and two polar opposite households). I've told my daughter that she needs to change to a pediatrician who can stand up to a bully who is doing more to hurt her grandchild than to help him.

to flip the coin. I have had this horrible cold?sinus infection? virus? for over a month. The last time this happened to me some antibiotic helped clear. No the dr says this time. THeres a new study in the process at the teaching hosp near me re: asthma in kids and one of the things they are looking at is if treating them quicker with antibiotic reduces the steriod use. Based on my son and myself I would say yes, it shortens the amt of time I suffer before I end up with pneumonia and using my inhalers for months on end.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    ....Obviously there are very many cases every day that really do need antibiotics....
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffyn View Post
    to flip the coin. I have had this horrible cold?sinus infection? virus? for over a month. The last time this happened to me some antibiotic helped clear. No the dr says this time. THeres a new study in the process at the teaching hosp near me re: asthma in kids and one of the things they are looking at is if treating them quicker with antibiotic reduces the steriod use. Based on my son and myself I would say yes, it shortens the amt of time I suffer before I end up with pneumonia and using my inhalers for months on end.
    Griffyn, perfect example of a real need, not just an over-reaction.

True ToT! But my health care provider is sooo reluctant its horrible! I approve of them sparingly dispensing, but Im begging!

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, gotcha, sorry I skimmed, didn't see where your doc was refusing you!! That stinks

I hate meds, but antibiotics saved my arm after a cat bite got infected. Took probiotics but it still screwed up my gastro system,but, it really cleared the infection. I also never take them but wow, what a difference when they kick in.

And for people who need them, ADHD meds rock.

Antibiotics will do nothing for a cold, horrible or otherwise. Sinus infections don't respond particularly well to antibiotics because circulation (and therefore delivery of the antibiotics) is poor in the sinuses.

A much better remedy is using nasal saline every couple of hours whenever you have congestion. And if you are really prone to sinus infections, use saline every morning and evening. That will keep bacteria from accumulating and significantly reduce the number of infections you get.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

I get a sinus infection every cold and no amount of nasal saline helps-I have two different kinds of netti pots and sinus flushers and they don't affect the little place way up in my sinuses behind my left eyeball that gets infected. Antibiotics ALWAYS cure it, ALWAYS. I always ask for amoxi b/c it always works and I don't want to experiment around with antibiotics.

We don't have health insurance thanks to a strange downturn in our luck and DH's job and impending layoff and having to spend $250 for a doctor to agree with my self-diagnosis so I can get my $20 antibiotics drives me crazy. I've been battling what is probably pertussis and I did get antibiotics from the doctor for the sinus and ear infection that followed the initial head cold phase but I know that at this point antibiotics aren't going to help the cough and sore throat so I don't even ask. I'm not one to run for antibiotics at the drop of a hat but when you need them, you need them. My head would have rotted off years ago if my doctors wouldn't give me antibiotics for my sinus infections.

My vent is that it's unfortunate that so many people are so ignorant that the right people can't get their abx and the wrong people do not!