The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default horse sales

I am thinking about sending our mare to someone to help her sell. She is with a wonderful trainer but I think she is limited to the local area in sales. If you were going to send an up and coming eventer to someone to sell who would it be? Oh, east coast preferably between North Carolina and New York...
    Thanks
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Depends on price range you're looking for, and whether the mare needs to be going to shows and competing successfully as well. Courtney does sell a bunch of horses, but may not be showing as much these days. In the higher price ranges, many of the big names will sell a horse for you, but probably not worth it in terms of training cost in the meantime.

The mare has done some showing but if she sells horses that is the ticket. My real question is what is the drive to sell if they have someone paying for training?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I don't know the details of Courtney's sales arrangements - you'd have to ask her. But she sells LOTS of horses, often in a very good timeframe. She has a great reputation and is very professional. I have shopped as a potential buyer with her and she does a very good job representing the horses and trying to make a good match.
    I doubt she would be as successful and well regarded as she is if her business model was to string the sellers along to milk them for training fees.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Any amount of tracking either her website or FB page can show she moves horses along. I'm not 100% sure of her business arrangements either for selling, but assume there will be a commission paid to her when the horse is sold on. That's pretty standard when sending a horse off to be sold....you pay something daily/weekly/monthly for board and training PLUS some percentage of the sale price in the end. Obviously, the horse's value needs to be worth that.

Empty your PM s

Another good option (which I'm embarrassed I didn't think of last night), would be Phyllis Dawson/Windchase Farm here in VA. They sell LOTS of horses, as well, and have a lot of traffic through there. She would definitely be worth contacting.

I just wanted to chime in regarding Courtney's show schedule (she's a long time client). She was injured last fall, which is why you didn't see her name on results. But she was able to start riding in December and has picked up where she left off (read: busy, busy, busy). She has also hired a rider with 2* experience to help keep things going when she's gone.

Typically, the sales horses only compete when they need to. So those needing to build their resume or needing exposure will go showing. Those with more established resumes will stay home. This way owners aren't racking up unnecessary expenses. Courtney treats her clients like she would want to be treated, so there are no hidden costs and the horses are treated as individuals.

I hope this helps! Here is a link to feedback from previous owners: http://www.csquarefarm.com/satisfied...-testimonials/.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Courtney and her crew did a wonderful job with my coming 4 yr old last fall. Not only did she get sold for more than I had hoped, but her training was top notch, and she learned a lot while she was up there as well.

Tiffany Catledge......Allforit Farm Middleburg you won't find a better person to deal with and a diverse clientele.

1 members found this post helpful.