The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default saw all of Downton Abbey this weekend

They were doing some watchathon where you could watch all the seasons for free.

We only took a quick (not so quick actually) break for a Seder on Saturday and then back to the TV with leftovers for all day Sunday.

My butt has almost got its feeling back....

It was divine.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

2 members found this post helpful.

I watched it all over the course of a couple of weeks earlier this year.

And now I'm sad, because it will be months and months before there are new episodes.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I finished the first season this weekend and I'm on the fence about continuing.

Enough of the core characters- Thomas, O'Brien, Edith, even Matthew and Mary- are one dimensional. We have no real motivation for the first two and we have no idea why Edith and Mary hate each other as much as they do. The time jumping is not helping with this or with building the relationships between characters- Mary and Matthew particularly suffer. This lack of nuance in the storytelling really bothers me.

I know the time jumping won't improve- I know when the Spanish flu outbreak happened in relation to WWI- but is the characterization going to get better in further seasons? I like enough about it to want to keep watching, but I won't if I know it will only drive me nuts.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Default season two

as a die hard fan, I can tell you, you won't much like season two. It was sub par, but S3 picks up the pace and is great. Except the last 30 seconds.
    Another killer of threads

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, regarding Edith and Mary....I would think it's pretty obvious. Mary's the firstborn, the pretty one, was engaged to Patrick (whom Edith flat-out says she'd have made a try for if she'd been allowed a chance), Edith's own parents flat-out admit she'll be "caring for them in her old age"...basically, Edith's the Unfavorite, while Mary's #1 and Sybil's the baby. Mary meanwhile is under a huge amount of pressure mostly because she wasn't born a boy and while she's guiltier than Edith, having her sister sniping at her isn't helping.

As for Thomas, well...as far as I can figure, most of his asshattery relates to his being gay and bitter about it, and feeling he's overlooked for things like promotions. (Not justifiable, and he's prone to Keystone Kops schemes to improve his lot, but especially in Season Two you get a better idea of why he thinks they world's against him.)

O'Brien--your guess is as good as mine.

I watched all three seasons on my ipad over the course of a few weeks after a friend (a male friend, no less) told me it was really good. I really enjoyed the costumes, the hair design, the sets. They did a fabulous job on all of that and that lone was almost enough to keep me watching. As for the story and the characters, it's a freakin' soap opera. That family can't catch a break, and the writers have to keep inventing things to happen to the family (and other characters) to keep the story going. I do find the historical references and context really interesting as history is my weak point and I learn much better by watching interesting historical movies and TV shows than by reading dull history books.

There is so little to watch on TV (even with the help of Netflix, Redbox, Hulu, Amazon, itunes, etc., etc) that it was worth watching Downton Abbey. I'm now trying to watch Upstairs, Downstairs, that PBS classic, but I'm having trouble doing so - after watching Downton everything seems so cheesy.

I don't remember who posted this link, but I keep going back to watch some of the older episodes. Still love it. Even if to some it is just a soap opera, it is still much better than anything else on tv... reality tv, dancing shows... at least, this has class

http://www.watch-tvseries.net/series...01-Episode-One

Oh really? You share this after that extraordinary window of opportunity is closed? Not going to help a sister out with some free Downton Abbey?

I wish your butt a slow recovery.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm currently working through season three. Has anyone else noticed a change in their sentence structure when speaking? I seem to be catching some Brit wit.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post

It was divine.
    Welcome to the dark side, lizthenag.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...=downton+abbey

Some of us have been addicted from the very first moment. I agree, it is wonderful!!

As for Upstairs Downstairs - I was a huge fan of that old series too, and don't think it is cheesy, just shot on a lot less budget. In fact, the writer of DA has clearly borrowed a great deal from UD.

I also loved the new episodes of Upstairs Downstairs that ran last year - I thought it was excellent, and well worth watching if you haven't seen it.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    as a die hard fan, I can tell you, you won't much like season two. It was sub par, but S3 picks up the pace and is great. Except the last 30 seconds.
    Agreed!

This show is so bad, yet so good. Even my husband is addicted. Heehee

Hopefully next season we'll get to see the episodes the same time as the UK. It was hard to avoid spoilers online.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Yeah, somebody spoiled me for that, thinking I was farther along than I was.

Edith and Mary- yeah, some of the conflict we learn from secondary sources, but that's my problem- we are TOLD Edith will be taking care of her parents in their old age and can't find suitors of her own. We are TOLD she would have made a try for Patrick (but its hard to tell, given the sniping between them, I wasn't sure if she actually liked Patrick on his own merits or if she was just jealous of Mary. We aren't SHOWN any of the source of the conflict. Even an argument between them would have been fine, as long as they were setting up their own stories. It just seems like spite as it is- spitefully trying to ruin your sister's life. (That goes both ways.)

I love the costumes, I love some of the characters (Mrs. Hughes; Cora; Isobel; Violet; the latter three in the same rooms together) but man, I'm having a hard time with the TNS storytelling.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Yeah, I think you have to let go of some of the details and historical accuracy and just go with the flow. They skip too much time and change up characters' stories so quickly you can't get too caught up on the inaccuracies. It's more fun to gasp at the plot twists and laugh at the Dowger's hysterical quips.