The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    San Francisco

Default Hospice car for the old gal (geriatric lab)

We are keep Espresso comfortable each day. It is one day at a time. I have arranged for a mobile vet to come and put her to sleep and take her to the pet crematorium when the time comes.

I thought it was time yesterday and left work early to go home to be with her. She was bright eyed and perky so we went for a slow walk.

I had a long talk with my vet who thinks it is best not to try and change her medications as she is not a science experiment.

I did make one change that has made all the difference. Her worst time in first thing is the morning as she is so stiff. I set the alarm for 6am and gave her the rimadyl and we both went back to sleep. I heard her stirring an hour later and she was up looking for breakfast so I feel good about this addition. I also will be late to work for a while so she can go for her slow walk every morning and smell the grasses...

Thanks for all your support.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

1 members found this post helpful.

It's so hard to see them going downhill. But it sounds like she's still enjoying life.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Home Decor, Custom Gifts, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*GIFT IDEAS for Horse Lovers!
    NEW: LAMPS! Barrel Racing, Saddlesbreds, TBs

Personalized Gifts for Adults, Kids & Babies