The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

There was a case in Montana near Dillon I think where a guy was whacked on drugs /drunk and broke into someone's home and killed them both dead I think with a knife while they TRIED to get their gun in time. (lilitiger2, you may remember more?)

I wouldn't assume the wasted punk in my living room was harmless by any means! But neither would I shoot on sight. Nope. And if those lines got blurry then too bad for the punk.

Fooler-I'm so sorry about your being in that situation, it feels so helpless!

1 members found this post helpful.

I just got home from the shooting range, and all 50 rounds were kill shots. I will barely be able to sleep due to all the GLEE I am apparently feeling.

No one here has said they WANT to kill or that they wouldn't have emotional/legal/lifelong ramifications if they did. I think most of the people who own guns for protection understand that as with anything, there are risks that have to be considered. To me, my life and the life of my animals and loved ones are worth the risks. Although I respect those who know that they wouldn't have it in them to fire at an intruder, and can understand that point of view as well.

I just don't want to live in a world where people are so paranoid and afraid they will trade innocent lives for their right to own a weapon. That's not self preservation. That's self centeredness. I seek a WE world, not a ME world.

Shoot to kill...the bad guy is going to!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Well, most other posters on this thread think their personal feelings count. To that point, I'd say there has been a severe lack of actual facts & statistics on this thread.
    What I meant by the comment about personal feelings not counting was that JER's (or anyone's) feelings that they personally do not need a gun are completely irrelevant to anyone else's inalienable right to own one. Period.

Facts and statistics are also irrelevant. The right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by the Constitution.

Period.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/intruder-shot-...010647800.html

And in CO, I am sure this woman and her husband were both quite aware of the ramifcations of gun ownership and thank God they had them available.
    Indeed. The Tom Clements murder two weeks ago was just down the road from me.

Sticking to the topic....I was taught to aim for center mass of the target provided and to keep shooting till the threat is eliminated. My job requires me to be armed while on duty, I do not carry off duty except when traveling alone or with my kids. Nothing beats breaking down in the wilds of WV late at night on a holiday weekend. When DH tags along he gets that honor.

In reality, if someone broke into my house while I was home I probably could not get my weapon out of the safe and loaded faster then I could simply exit the house. Exiting the house, with my kids, will always be my first choice. I can replace my stuff, I can't replace a life. We practice drills with our kids, from fire drills to intruder drills. They are old enough to be home alone now and a break in occurring while I'm at work and they're home is a very real fear for me. Most breaks in occur during the day, bad guys are normally sissies, and prefer you to not be home. DH is a contractor and is in the process of turning one of our larger closets into a "safe room". He's already done a few for some of his regular customers.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    I just don't want to live in a world where people are so paranoid and afraid they will trade innocent lives for their right to own a weapon. That's not self preservation. That's self centeredness. I seek a WE world, not a ME world.
    Except that criminals live in a ME world, not a WE world. That is why I own several guns, and actually DID have to use one once...it's not self-centered; it's self-(and family) preservation.

My husband travels frequently for business. He grew up in Detroit; I grew up in the sticks. We moved to the country when the kids were in elementary school and we spent more in board than we did in a house payment.

I have always been apprehensive about guns, having witnessed a suicide as a youngster. My husband made SURE I knew how to load the 12 ga, brace myself, and fire it. One night while he was out of town, someone started pounding on the front door of our house and yanking on the knob to open at about 2 am. Dog went nuts, kids started screaming and running around. I grabbed the gun, pushed the screen out of the window, leaned out and yelled at him to get the hell outta there, and racked the gun. He took off running. Scariest minute of my life, but had he not run, I would have shot him.

I find it interesting that because I own a gun I am somehow paranoid or afraid, or willing to trade innocent lives for my right to own a weapon. What about MY innocent life, or the innocent lives of my kids? How is wanting to protect myself or my kids self-centered?
    Last edited by DangerousDevo; Apr. 4, 2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: duplicate word

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    I'm not trading innocent lives for gun ownership. I own several guns and no innocent lives have been taken. It's called being prepared. I have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers also. Does that mean I am paranoid of fire?
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Want facts? Here you go:

[quote]The United States had about 31,300 firearms deaths in 2010, with two-thirds of them suicides, according to the Centers for Disease Control and the National Vital Statistics Report.[quote}

And this:

States with weakest firearm laws lead in gun deaths

http://news.yahoo.com/states-weakest...185335813.html

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Facts and statistics are also irrelevant. The right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by the Constitution.

Period.
    Really? And what militia do you belong to?

Oh well, screw the facts.

[QUOTE=rcloisonne;6922795]Want facts? Here you go:

The United States had about 31,300 firearms deaths in 2010, with two-thirds of them suicides, according to the Centers for Disease Control and the National Vital Statistics Report.[quote}

And this:

States with weakest firearm laws lead in gun deaths

http://news.yahoo.com/states-weakest...185335813.html
    So, in your perfect world, let's say guns are no longer legal, you think those committing suicide would suddenly decide, "Geesh, guns are no legal any more, maybe I should not kill myself, huh?" When those people switch to ropes (hangers) or high risers (jumpers) or kitchen knives (cutters) or water (drowners), do you want to ban ropes and all office buildings and all kitchen knives and all bath water? When criminals switch to knives or cars(since guns are no longer available) or rivers or rocks, do you want to ban all knives and cars and water sports and rocks?

You know, statistics are information. You got to be a bit smarter than dumb numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post

You're screwing the facts. And by inference trying to change a definition.
    US Constitution prevents the gov't from infringing on the individual right to keep & bear arms. SCOTUS says so.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post

All males in the U.S. between the ages of roughly 16 and 50 belong to the "unorganized militia." This has been the law since the first English militia act, circa 1150. There is a Federal militia act, as well as militia acts in all states. Some details will vary.

Before the advent of modern policing (circa 1839) all law enforcement in English speaking countries was in the hands of the Shire Reeve (which we've corrupted to "sheriff"; it has nothing to do with Omar ). Individuals were expected to informally band together when a threat to the peace and tranquility of the community was threatened by miscreant behavior. This could be in the form of a "posse commitatus" organized by the shire reeve or an informal band (often rendered today as a "citizens vigilance committee"). In the U.S., where the population was 90% rural and roads were poor law enforcement was very much in an individual effort. Sometimes neighbors would band together and deal with crime.

As time progressed and law enforcement became more professional it took on more authority. It also was often quite corrupt. New York in the last half of the 19th Century had two police forces, and they vied to see who was more corrupt. The Sullivan Act was passed to disarm the citizenry who were interfering with police corruption. New York was, at that time, the most corrupt city in America (but with competition from Boston, Philly, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Los Angeles...and Chicago).

Of course sheriffs, particularly in rural counties where hard money was scarce, were also seriously corrupt. Weapons control was a common strategy to disarm politically unfavored groups. In the South "gun control" was used to keep Negros disarmed. The Earps used "gun control" to keep their enemies disarmed in KS and AZ. In those days "gun control" was all about politics. Just as it was when the Roman Emperor Diocletian decreed that swords could be owned only by soldiers, retired soldiers, and members of the patrician class.

And thus it is today. "Gun control" is more about "political control" than "public safety." The complete failure of the this (and prior) administrations to fairly and effectively enforce existing laws leads inexorably to that conclusion.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post

And thus it is today. "Gun control" is more about "political control" than "public safety." The complete failure of the this (and prior) administrations to fairly and effectively enforce existing laws leads inexorably to that conclusion.

G.
    THIS!