The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Question for those that own a gun...

Someone breaks into your house and you grab your gun...

(I know there have been threads about whether you call 911 and waiting, or whether you grab your gun, but not sure if they got this specific!)

Do you shoot them in an arm? Just to wound them, and hope they leave, or have them down for the police to get them?

Or do you shoot to kill?

What are the laws like where you live. Are you free to shoot anyone that intrudes and poses a risk, or will you end up in jail yourself?

Im just starting to learn about guns, and getting my license. If I am any good I am going to get into competitions! Just interested to hear what other people will (or think!) they would do, if in that situation!

Please, lets not let this turn into a big argument!

You aim for center mass - its the biggest target.

Not sure about laws regarding when you can shoot someone. I live in Florida, our gun laws pretty much let you shoot anyone anywhere anytime - lol.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

6 members found this post helpful.

Default Never shoot at anything you do not intend to kill

Period. Either shoot or don't. But don't think for one minute as a newbie, with a gun, in the dark, under pressure, you are going to be able to be competent enough to "wound" someone, who will then lay their weapon down and wait til the police come.

Also, tough for the dead guy (as opposed to the guy you just gut shot and crippled for life) to sue you, yes, even after breaking into your home.

If you point your gun at something, you better make damn sure you hit it and kill it.

If you are not willing to kill an intruder, you should not have a gun. They'll just take it out of your trembling hand and use it against you.

I have no problem with someone not comfortable taking a human (or any other) life. I have no problem defending my home with a gun.

Do I believe the average citizen, or most hunters need an automatic weapon? No. If I can kill something with one shot, so can you. Practice.

36 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Period. Either shoot or don't. But don't think for one minute as a newbie, with a gun, in the dark, under pressure, you are going to be able to be competent enough to "wound" someone, who will then lay their weapon down and wait til the police come.

Also, tough for the dead guy (as opposed to the guy you just gut shot and crippled for life) to sue you, yes, even after breaking into your home.

If you point your gun at something, you better make damn sure you hit it and kill it.

If you are not willing to kill an intruder, you should not have a gun. They'll just take it out of your trembling hand and use it against you.

I have no problem with someone not comfortable taking a human (or any other) life. I have no problem defending my home with a gun.

Do I believe the average citizen, or most hunters need an automatic weapon? No. If I can kill something with one shot, so can you. Practice.
    WORD.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

3 members found this post helpful.

Really hard to say for me. Heat of the moment, adrenalin. I can't really say what I'd do. Would a Call of Duty scenario count? (cause if that's the case, it's headshot or empty the magazine) LOL! Typically too, my stress response is inaction--like, "Wow, I can't believe this is really happening" standing there doing nothing like an idiot.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

1 members found this post helpful.

I've always wanted to think I'd hold them off with the gun, scare them off, or shoot them in the leg but I think in the heat of the moment I'd be more about accuracy if they didn't just turn and run.

I'm looking to own a gun in the future too, I can't wait until I'm 21 and old enough to get my concealed carry (my mom is less thrilled). But I agree that automatic weapons are not needed by the average person, especially in a protection or game hunting scenario. They are intimidating sure, but a lot heavier, and harder to handle (and therefore less reliable) when you need protection asap.

While I'm not thrilled about the idea of killing anything, I'm prepared to choose my life over the life of the intruder or attacker. Aim for center mass, and if it kills him, oh well, he's the one who's at fault, if not, he's lucky God had mercy on him. Maybe he'll learn his lesson in prison.

I also want a Doberman, they're adorable, intimidating and natural protecters!
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

Hmmmm, all this is something you and your family have already discussed and thought about.

Is your life and your family's life more important than any intruder in your house's life? Of course!

Way too much evil nowadays.....BUT...what to do.

Remember, most crimes, robberies, rapes are stopped by a pistol just being available. Most criminals are cowards, they don't want to get hurt (they want to hurt you). Sometimes just the sound of a pump shotgun having the slide "racked" will send lowlife's running...but sometimes, it won't....things get more serious then.

If you have to shoot...You always shoot to kill, not to wound. You keep shooting until the threat is dead. Don't forget, evil punks are cowards and usually will travel in 2's or 3's. If the guy is laying on the floor, don't go near him. Reload, and go upstairs. You go out the back door, maybe his friends are out there waiting...you lose.

Call the cops.

Remember, you'll probably be arrested, have to post bail and go to court. It's going to be expensive. The scum's family will scream how he was a good boy, never started no trouble, it was a racist attack, why didn't they just wound him vs. kill him...they're racist, the papers will be judgeing you also. But ya' know, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Your family will be alive, won't have been raped and you will get over this.

If you know you can't shoot the bad guy...don't forget to tell your family they aren't worth protecting no matter what's going to happen to them if it makes you uncomfortable. When you need help in seconds, the police are minutes away.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

13 members found this post helpful.

Shoot to kill. No way will I be able to discern in the heat of the moment. Also. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    Thoroughbreds: classic

Turn. N. Burn.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    When you need help in seconds, the police are minutes away.
    That's how I see it! And pepper spray is just as much incapitating towards you as it is to the intruder in enclosed spaces or short range. Plus it won't stop him from swinging a fist/knife/bat or even shooting his gun wildly if he has one.

If you're that worried about the law, install security cameras around the outside of your house, or by the door to your apartment, it's hard to refute video evidence in court!
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

a police officer who taught a self-defense class i once took was unequivocal: if you can't get away from your assailant, kill him/her.

(no, i don't own a gun; yes, i learned to shoot when i was about 8.)
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Hmmmm, all this is something you and your family have already discussed and thought about.

Is your life and your family's life more important than any intruder in your house's life? Of course!

Way too much evil nowadays.....BUT...what to do.

Remember, most crimes, robberies, rapes are stopped by a pistol just being available. Most criminals are cowards, they don't want to get hurt (they want to hurt you). Sometimes just the sound of a pump shotgun having the slide "racked" will send lowlife's running...but sometimes, it won't....things get more serious then.

If you have to shoot...You always shoot to kill, not to wound. You keep shooting until the threat is dead. Don't forget, evil punks are cowards and usually will travel in 2's or 3's. If the guy is laying on the floor, don't go near him. Reload, and go upstairs. You go out the back door, maybe his friends are out there waiting...you lose.

Call the cops.

Remember, you'll probably be arrested, have to post bail and go to court. It's going to be expensive. The scum's family will scream how he was a good boy, never started no trouble, it was a racist attack, why didn't they just wound him vs. kill him...they're racist, the papers will be judgeing you also. But ya' know, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Your family will be alive, won't have been raped and you will get over this.

If you know you can't shoot the bad guy...don't forget to tell your family they aren't worth protecting no matter what's going to happen to them if it makes you uncomfortable. When you need help in seconds, the police are minutes away.
    And another charming racist fear-mongering post from you!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

2 members found this post helpful.

I helped a friend's wife get a pistol (Taurus .38 revolver). Where she lived was becoming a bad area in some neighborhoods. She was at the grocery store and was getting in her van after putting her two kids in their safety seats and a pretty grubby hispanic with a knife opened her passenger door...she shot him twice. Turns out he was a suspect in previous attacks where the thug had a habit of carjacking women who had kids, knowing they wouldn't run leaving their children behind.

Like a mother tiger protecting her young, she fought back and won. Luckily, she had the skill and Boudica mindset.

8 members found this post helpful.

You shoot to kill. However, if you only injure the criminal, in Arizona we are now protected from having the criminal sue us:
    http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.ph...114_%282012%29
    Every state should have this protection for victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    And another charming racist fear-mongering post from you!
    Racist and fear-mongering? Hmmm, just who commits the crimes isn't racist or sexist...who they choose as their victims is. Even Jesse Jackson said when he was walking at night and heard two people coming up behind him, he was relieved when he saw they were white. Canada doesn't have the racial criminal demographics the US does (which gives you a lower crime rate too!). So don't get all uppity about an area where the demographics give you a different criminal element.

As the old saying goes, "If you hear hoofbeats, don't look for zebras".

You shoot to kill. If you aim for his arms or legs or something like that, chances are you will miss your assailant completely. It isn't easy to shoot a bull eye with a handgun, not even at the comfort of shooting range with static target. Look at the targets of most shooters at range, you will see that their bullet holes are usually all over the place. If you just want to scare him off, your best bet is shower him with sprays of bullets using automatic "before" he gets into your house or anywhere close to you. Once you get to the hand gun stage, you no longer have the luxury of choosing to wound or kill him. You need "plan" to kill, and hope that you have at least seriously injure him, unless you want to be a victim; or of course, unless you have the skill of a SWAT team.

If you are in fear for your life, you are authorized to use deadly force to protect yourself and your family in my home state of Virginia. If I shoot at someone, it will be to stop them and aiming center mass until I'm out of bullets (5 in my revolver). If you get hit with a .45 (like the one that I carry) than it will really hurt you. Sucks to be you if you give me time to get my handgun out.

I just wanted to add that I'm not bloodthirsty or anything but i will not hesitate if I am being assaulted by someone to defend myself. That is my right and I'm not going down without a fight.

Center of mass to stop the threat. Death may be an unfortunate by product.

Depends on where you are and where threat is and what state you live in on the criminal legalities. Civil action may also result.

What just about every one else has said -- aim for the body mass. Trying to be cute and wounding or shooting the weapon out of the assailant's hand is for Roy Rogers and The Lone Ranger. IRL, nobody's that good, especially when they're shaken...

I don't see anything racist in what Trak wrote. But then, I thought the gag reports yesterday about "Gay" horses was funny...

If they end up getting past the dog (GSD with some serious protection instinct and a HECK of a grip), then I shoot for center mass until bad-guy is no longer a threat. Fortunately, dog has scared away potential bad guys twice... she also has a heck of a bark.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin