The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Embryo Transfers - what if they double ovulate? Is there success in ETing them both?

For those of you who have had mares who double ovulate and you are doing an embryo transfer with them, have you tried to use both eggs for two transfers. Just wondering what the success rate is?

A former trainer here wound up with 2 foals this way..

yes we have done it where both took and where one took
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

My mare double ovulated and transferred two embryos several years ago...resulted in two lovely foals. A solid colt and a pinto filly out of Rousseau. Also had a pinto ET filly out of Voltaire that year too...big year for her and her 3 recipient mares.

I love it when my mare double ovulates when doing an ET. These two were ETs from a single cycle. Each embryo was transferred to a surrogate and next year we had two beautiful full siblings. The first pic is a filly at three years old, and the next is her full brother as a yearling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fifi_trt_ribbon_wow.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	37888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fantom_bev_trt1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	37889

If you don't mind me asking a related question: do double ovulations occur from follicles on same ovary or different? I am planning to ET a competition mare who has only one ovary (removed other for granulosa tumor)- is it possible for her to double ovulate?

I will be breeding my mare for another ET soon. She does double ovulate and it is great for ETs not so great with a regular breeding and you get twins. I have two of my own mares for recips and we are trying to get them all cycling together. If by some super luck I get two embryos the plan is to use both mares as recips. If one of the two recip mares is not at perfect timing etc. the second embryo would be frozen at that point for use later. Amazing the technology we have today. Good luck with your breeding. ��
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

If there are two embryos at the time the mare is flushed then you should get two embryos. This is the only time double ovulating in a mare is considered a good thing :-). I would think that the rate of success for each embryo would be the same but you will get two chances for a foal, and possibly end up with two foals. You'll also need another recipient mare which will mean more $$.

keep trying to convince the donor mares it's okay to double ovulate (pleeeeeease)

Quote Originally Posted by RanchoAdobe View Post
    If you don't mind me asking a related question: do double ovulations occur from follicles on same ovary or different? I am planning to ET a competition mare who has only one ovary (removed other for granulosa tumor)- is it possible for her to double ovulate?
    Hopefully, Kathy (equinereproduction.com) will weigh in. I'll try to answer your question as I've done a lot of breeding over the years but retired from the mare side some time ago...about at the onset of ET when it was new, expensive and a crap shoot.

That said, and I could be wrong, but I recall that that mare produces only one follicle from an ovary...the other one comes from the other ovary.

Thus the problem of twinning when the "other" follicle does not regress and can be problematic in breeding a mare that is to carry to term herself. This "problem" seems to be an advantage it the ET world.

If your mare has one operational ovary, I would think that with the science as good as it is now, you should get a foal from that ovary, barring any other unforeseen problems.
    Last edited by sid; Apr. 2, 2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typos..always.

My mare TRIPLE ovulated for an ET! All three embryos were implanted into three recipient mares but only one made it past 60 days to live foal.

It was explained to me that the vast majority of twins (or triplets) self reduce probably due to some chemical signals in the womb (natures protective measure). There is a greater chance of not both embryos making it post implantation because one of these embryos may have already been "programmed" to fail.

Obviously both embryos can make it but the above may be a reason why often only one will.

Good luck!! Just remember if both make it you may have to pay the stallion owner a second stud fee! Even with some frozen contracts these days.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Thanks Sid - that was exactly my question - do double ovulations necessarily come from different ovaries or can they be released from different follicles on same ovary. I'm trying to decide if I should cycle in an extra recip mare just in case of double ovulation, but didn't want to bother if it was an impossibility with a donor mare with only one working ovary. Thanks for answering !! I will try to confirm with vet tomorrow and let anyone who is interested know!