The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advice for the once-a-week rider

With my old horse out to pasture (actually, boarding at a very nice retirement farm) I’ve gone from riding 4 days a week and progressing at my own pace to one weekly lesson, which is the most I can afford.

Anyone else make this transition recently? Do you have different goals? I’m still getting to know this quirky little lesson horse, so it’s been months of “two steps forward, one step back” and we’re still doing w/t.

Do you think one ride a week measurably improves skill?

Replying only to follow the responses. I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinion on this. Good thread GrayTbred!

It does improve skill, but not nearly as much as riding multiple times a week.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

As someone who didn't grow up with horses and has never owned land, I've moved between not-riding-at-all and weekend warrior status. The best I've been able to do is ride about three times a week (which I am doing now! Yay!)

The biggest challenge with once-a-week is just staying in shape. When I'm riding more regularly, my thighs and abs are more capable of giving me a solid base of support. When I haven't ridden for a while, my lower leg gets wobbly and I pin my knees.

What helped most with getting back in shape was yoga and taichi. I think pilates would be good too - anything that makes you flex your core. There's no real substitute for hours in the saddle, but the stretchy stuff helps.

The best thing about once-a-week lessons? They are *infinitely* better than not-riding-at-all

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mizchalmers View Post
    As someone who didn't grow up with horses and has never owned land, I've moved between not-riding-at-all and weekend warrior status. The best I've been able to do is ride about three times a week (which I am doing now! Yay!)

The biggest challenge with once-a-week is just staying in shape. When I'm riding more regularly, my thighs and abs are more capable of giving me a solid base of support. When I haven't ridden for a while, my lower leg gets wobbly and I pin my knees.

What helped most with getting back in shape was yoga and taichi. I think pilates would be good too - anything that makes you flex your core. There's no real substitute for hours in the saddle, but the stretchy stuff helps.

The best thing about once-a-week lessons? They are *infinitely* better than not-riding-at-all
    That.
    Stay as fit as you can manage every day of the week and then riding will come much easier and you can do more.

Once a week, with a good instructor and sensitive horse to teach you will help, if you are in excellent physical shape to do what the instructor is requesting of you.

If I only had one lesson a week, I would beg for the first 10/30 minutes on the longe line, for several months.

I third the rec to exercise during the week to maintain fitness. If you don't have excellent security in the saddle and control over your body parts (not saying you don't, it's just a common problem to lose muscle strength and coordination when you ride only occasionally), then that's what you'll spend most of your lessons working on, when you'd rather be moving forward with your technique and finesse.
    So get out and run, do crunches, ask your instructor for recommendations on what exercises you can do. Another thing might be to videotape your lessons if you can. Watch them during your time off to really maximize your learning from that one ride.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Stay in shape out of the saddle. You will never be as effective as a rider of a comparable skill level that rides 5 days a week, but DO NOT use the once a week lesson as an excuse to let yourself develop bad habits or have a loose base.

There are some here who will tell you that you have no business jumping, showing, etc if you only ride one day a week, but that is nonsense.

1 members found this post helpful.

I only ride once a week. If I had more time I would ride more.
    In the last 3 years I have ridden once a week, and sometimes twice on long weekends.
    As long as you have a good trainer and a horse that you will ride every lesson, you can really move forward in skills.
    It just takes longer!

In the last month I have been out to 2 local shows. Come home with Reserve Champion in one, and several ribbons in the other (including beating the Supreme Champ Hack in 2 classes!)
    And completed my very first round of 50cm and 60cm SJing.

So it is very possible to advance in skills. As you and your horse gain confidence in each other you will move forward.
    Last edited by T-RaceR; Apr. 3, 2013 at 02:54 AM. Reason: spelling

3 members found this post helpful.

T-RaceR said what I would have said, and said it better!

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, once a week is better than nothing. Heck I didn't ride for about 6 months and did OK when I climbed back on, and it was a slightly silly colt.

I have a horse in training that I ride once a week at most, for less than 20 minutes! Even as little as I do ride, I see rapid improvements in balance and strength, but of course the muscle memory is there. My main problem is laziness. I have a couple of horses at home that I could ride, they really are "easy" but enough horse to keep me legged up, I just find excuses (too cold, too wet, too tired, can't find the martingale, etc., etc.) not to.