The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Brazilian blowout or equivalent -- any advice?

Trying to squeeze in under the OT wire...

I'll be in a tropical rainforest (literally!) for about 2 weeks in May (yay!). I feel a bit ridiculous being so vain (especially when I'll be at a research station, not a resort!) but I can't stand what happens to my hair in that humidity -- it turns into a massive ball of frizz that not only looks revolting but also feels weird. I'm leery of the Brazilian blowout (in fact it's now banned in Canada due to formaldehyde in the formula), but I am longing for a semi-permanent solution to my finger-in-the-electric-socket hairstyle. Any suggestions (other than shave it off and start again) would be fantastic!

(If is helps, my hair is naturally blond-ish (assisted blonde at this point), fairly long (below the shoulders) and quite fine in texture.)

If i was going to be in a rainforest for 2 weeks, my hair would be wadded up in a high ponytail on top of my head. I have naturally curly hair and I can't imagine trying to keep it down in that heat and humidity! You can put it up in a thicker type hairband and then use little clips to pin down errant strands so its not so messy.
    Kerri

That's what I normally do -- struggle along with some combination of ponytail/hairband/bandana/ball cap/clips etc. Honestly, it's not so much vanity -- if it was straight I would still have it up in a ponytail or under a ball cap -- I just find it really itchy and weird-feeling when it gets frizzy... I have some kind of unresolved psychological scalp issues, I guess!!

I had the Kerasmooth treatment from Bioionic done by my stylist (I live in Ontario like you).

I have thin hair but it is very curly and the ends always curl up into tight ringlets so even though I've been growing it for years it never looks too much longer than shoulder length. I know your troubles of putting it in a ponytail - I always get little flyaways and frizzies and it drives me nuts I don't really mind it curly but just wanted it a bit looser of a curl and to seem longer.

The first time I did the Kerasmooth, she used the formula for colour-treated hair. It loosened the curl somewhat but to be honest I didn't find it a whole lot different. I decided to try again and this time she used the stronger formula (for non-treated hair) and it worked so much better! It is pin straight if I use a flat iron and if I let it air dry, it is a much looser curl and seems so much longer. The hair also feels very soft! It is pretty much exactly what I wanted

I haven't experienced any humidity yet though, so I can't tell you how it handles that. Also, with most treatments, you can't get your hair wet for a few days so keep that in mind with your travel plans.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Opal94 View Post
    I had the Kerasmooth treatment from Bioionic done by my stylist (I live in Ontario like you).
    Yes! Yes yes yes. We use this at my salon, it is AWESOME! Talk to your stylist ahead of time, so if you're getting highlights or color done, you can plan for each appointment (can't do them the same day, too much processing).

Even if no one you know uses this brand, ask for a keratin or smoothing treatment. PLEASE do not get an actual Brazillian Blowout. Do you really want something put in your hair that the stylist has to wear a gas mask just to apply?

Good luck. And yay for your trip!!

Thanks so much, Opal -- that's a great recommendation!! Do you have a sense of how long it lasts?

Oh thanks talkofthetown!! This is awesome -- just what I was looking for!!

And yes, I am super excited for my trip -- I was there last year and can't wait to go back. I feel very, very lucky. It's this place, if you are interested.

Cool! Take me with you, I'll do you hair for free LOL But you're welcome! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Haha that would be awesome . Thanks so much; I may PM you later!

Yay! Now I am excited for my trip AND my hair!!

I am currently on week 4 and it is showing no signs of going back to its original curl. I will be happy if it lasts 8 weeks, so fingers crossed.

Have a great trip! I am going to Houston next month, so I can test how it handles humidity then... since I don't think the warm weather is ever coming to Ontario

If that doesnt work....braid it