The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A little something for my barn owner?

A little back story:

I just moved to Texas a couple months ago. I met a fabulous woman through my parents church whom is older, but is still an avid horse woman though now retired from the show circuit. She got her medals in USDF on an OTTB who she still has, and she shares interest in another younger OTTB. She told me I could come out to the barn anytime, and I offered to help her do chores, ride, anything until my horse came down.

After about a month of getting to know each other and helping her around the barn, she offered for my horse to stay at her place when he moved. She has a wonderful little facility. It is private, cute barn, turn outs, covered round pen, hot walker (which we don't use because he tired to tear it down once), arena, and some cute little trail obstacles and small cross-country jumps (which only I use, LOL).

I have been here with her for two months now. I'm a college kid, lives at home with my parents, and work 45+ hours a week at a local resort. She is so understanding when I can't come out and clean my stalls and we rotate feeding schedules. I feed in the morning, she feeds at night. She REFUSES to let me pay her over $50 for boarding. When she does take my money she donates it to church and doesn't keep it for herself.

My horse is a QH, pretty low maintenance, but known to see dead people. She doesn't mind his snorty and really sort of loves having a "not so elegant" non-dressage horse around.

Fast forward to the past couple weeks..

BO had to get MAJOR knee surgery. She is progressing quickly and myself, a girl she shares young OTTB with, and some other friends she has have been taking care of her horses. This includes just feeding, cleaning, and putting them on the walker everyday. It's really easy. BO is making great progress but she probably wont be down at the barn for another couple of weeks, let alone riding for months.

SO, I was thinking of getting her a gift. She has sort of become more of a family figure then just a friend (almost like a grandmother). She is an amazing woman and I am so blessed to have her around. She does have some medical issues so doing my normal baking and such might not work. I believe she can't do gluten but I'm not sure. When I first moved in she told me all her medical issues, but I can't remember them all.

I'm thinking some sort of goodie basket, minus SOME goodies. I know she can have chocolate candies . So what have you done for your BO's? Any ideas? I just really want to do something nice to her as a get well soon/thank you basket.

(SORRY FOR THE BOOK!).
    Last edited by Belmont; Apr. 2, 2013 at 01:34 PM.

How about a massage. Her body would really appreciate having some work done on it. The knee surgery and rehab puts a lot of stress on different parts of the body. Even learning how to walk correctly may throw things off since she was probably compensating before the surgery. Perhaps you can find someone who does house calls so she doesn't have to worry about getting a ride to the masseuse.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    How about a massage. Her body would really appreciate having some work done on it.
    Great idea. I'd also suggest a housecleaning service to come in maybe once every one or two weeks while she recovers.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think you are a genius GreyTbred- when a horsewoman is down for the count everyone thinks of the barn and the horses... few would think of taking care of the rest of her world as well. On that thought- washing her car or truck might also be a nice 15 minute chore you could do while out at the farm.

Does she have family that checks on her, bring her groceries? Might make sure her home needs are being met too. As for a gift, I'd skip the massage, I doubt she is up to getting out to a spa for now. Gift basket would be great also maybe a book too. Maybe she would just like some company to sit and chat with.

In addition to the great suggestions you've already gotten, maybe an album of pictures of her horses doing the silly everyday things they do that make us love and miss them. I'm sure she's missing everything about them right now.

She sounds like a gem and it's wonderful that you are thinking of doing something to give back to someone who sounds like she gives a lot to others in time, kindness, etc.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Really great ideas so far! I especially like the practical ones, since recovery from knee surgery severely limits activity for a while.

Is she able to drive? Could she use a chauffer to take her to the grocery store, the hair dresser, to PT? You mentioned donations to her church; is she able to get to services on Sunday mornings? If not, a ride to services one Sunday, possibly followed by a nice breakfast somewhere would be a great gift.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    Really great ideas so far! I especially like the practical ones, since recovery from knee surgery severely limits activity for a while.

Is she able to drive? Could she use a chauffer to take her to the grocery store, the hair dresser, to PT? You mentioned donations to her church; is she able to get to services on Sunday mornings? If not, a ride to services one Sunday, possibly followed by a nice breakfast somewhere would be a great gift.
    That sound good, giving some more of your time, this time not for the barn and horses, but for her herself, something she would not think of asking for.

That along with whatever little something else you can think of.

The photo books from shutterfly.com come out amazing - take your time and play w/it as there are lots of options. There are always free codes/ 1/2 price codes around. You could either take new pictures or scan in a bunch of old pictures.

We have received (and deeply appreciated) a box of fancy chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our door. It's an unexpected treat!

2 members found this post helpful.

Amazon gift card-so she can get DVDs or books to keep her occupied? Does she like to read? Someone to go to the local library to check out some books for her. Sherrie's Berries;Edible Arrangements for great fruit gifts. Local deli-sandwiches, salads-some of her favorites.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Can you find out what she likes? I personally adore handmade soaps, scented lotion and all kinds of teas. Obviously not everyone does, but if someone gave me one of the above they couldn't go wrong. Does she have a category of "likes" like that?

These are all fantastic ideas. Our church is doing a "Bring A Meal" thing, so dinners and such are pretty much taken care of. It is just her and her husband. I bring them farm fresh eggs each time I get a dozen.

She likes chocolate . I do know she reads, but her livelyhood is the horses. I know it is so hard to be away from them, and she just loves doing barn things and making sure everything is going good. You guys are giving me such great ideas! She is spending about six hours a day, laying on her back, doing physical theraphy. She is in pain but she seems to be doing good.

It's hard for me to say a lot of her personal likes. I know she likes chocolate, church, and her retired Dressage horse Oedie! She is the type of woman that spends her days giving, giving, and struggles to ask for help because she wants to do it! I'm trying to think of the things I saw around her house to give me clues. Most of her house was horsey stuff and a bar (LOL).

Some of the questions answered:
    She is still unable to drive. She is walking on a walker right now and just doing physical therapy.
    Her husband is with her, he is older also, and is doing SOME grocery shopping (though she usually does it all).
    She loves to read and is very spiritual.
    She doesn't feel strong enough to get to church yet.

I love all of your idea's so far! Keep them coming please!

If she likes to read and is spiritual, she might like "Erasing Death" by Sam Parnia.
    http://www.amazon.com/Erasing-Death-...fe+after+death

I'm reading it right now. It is by a doctor, a professor of medicine at Stonybrook, who's specialty is resuscitation medicine. It talks about what happens when you die, and the study of people who've been resuscitated -- there is a remarkable similarity in the stories they tell. Here's amazon's description:

Dr. Sam Parnia, Director of the AWARE Study (AWAreness during REsuscitation) and one of the world’s leading experts on the scientific study of death and near-death experiences (NDE), presents cutting-edge research from the front lines of critical care and resuscitation medicine while also shedding light on the ultimate mystery: What happens to human consciousness during and after death? Dr. Parnia reveals how some form of “afterlife” may be uniquely ours, as evidenced by the continuation of the human mind and psyche after the brain stops functioning.