The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default lesson packages- what do you offer and how does it work?

For you trainers out there, what type of lesson packages do you offer and how do you make it work? Riders too - what lesson packages have you seen offered and what were the terms?

We're looking for ideas to get non boarders to lesson more consistently and to give them an economic incentive to do so. Currently we are a "pay as you go" lesson provider.

Usually you will see X amount of lessons per month for a set price. If they aren't used by the end of the month they are forfeited. Make the price a slight discount off of the normal lesson fee. For example, if the normal fee is $40 then offer a package of 4 lessons per month at $140 or 5 lessons per month at $180 and they would save $20 by pre-booking the package. I have also seen 8-week and quarterly packages.

this. most of my local barns have this policy; i pay for 13 lessons at a time. if i have to miss one, they prefer that i make it up within the 13 week period, but it's pretty easy to sneak into other lessons.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I usually do a buy 10 and get 1 free with a time limit on them -----usually 6 wks

My trainer does packs of four lesson coupons. She doesn't have a time limit on when you use them. I generally take one lesson a week, so it works out to buying a month of lessons most of the time.

She will also do pay as you go for single lessons, but offers enough of a discount on the four pack to make it worth it for anyone who is in a regular program.

I buy lessons from my trainer ( I keep my horses at home). A package of 6 knocks $10 off the cost of each lesson in that package. No expiry date, but no refunds if you quit her services, either. I think that's a fair deal.

Lessons that are tied to a barn I'm boarding at? No thanks. I'm at a point in my life where that wouldn't be attractive. Now if I can buy them at a discount b/c I board there, versus a 'street rate' for someone who just comes for lessons, that MIGHT be an attractive option....if I'm impressed with your teaching style and credentials.

What are you qualified to teach? (let's say it's hunters). If most of your boarders are western trail riders- good luck with that LOL.

1st barn- package of 10 lessons, no discount for the pack since pay-as-you-go wasn't an option. If a lesson was canceled in advance, you had i think 2 weeks to make it up.
    2nd barn- pay at the beginning of the month. If you lesson on a day that has one extra that month (say 5 mondays instead of 4), the fifth was considered a bonus lesson (I loved those months!). Make up lessons within a month of missing them. I think there was a discount if more than one month was paid at a time, but i'm not positive on that.
    3rd (current) barn- four lessons paid at once, or pay-as-you-go for slightly more $ per lesson. (almost all clients except the very green beginners go monthly.) Make up lessons within two weeks if possible. I have had it happen that i can't pay immediately (or forgot my checkbook that week) and she's not 'dinged' me for it not being a monthly package lesson that day, but i think if i had not paid by the second week i'd be charged the higher rate.

2nd and 3rd barns have discounted lessons for lease riders and boarders, x number included in board per month.
    With the current barn the "boarding package" lessons are for (small) group lessons and not private. But it works out well because the boarders are within a similar range of level and often show together, too.

Oh, also, the prices for the monthly package are for private lessons, i believe. However, every once in a while I want a second lesson during the week and if i can't line up a time for a private lesson, i'll join the boarders in their group lesson, but the price is the same. I don't mind that and sometimes seek out the group lesson if i feel like i'm missing some of the social bonding of riding. Also, i DO learn a lot from watching the other girls go, even if i'm not getting as intensive instruction as i would in a private lesson.... sometimes that intensity is just too much! Also, the group lessons usually run over an hour whereas the private lessons are about 50min give or take. (Mine today ran an hour because apparently i forgot that i've done a bending line in my life..."One MORE time please, and CHANGE SOMETHING!!" haha)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

1 members found this post helpful.

$40 per lesson, you can buy a pack of 4 for $130. Boarders have a flat fee of $20 per lesson. I do the same price for group and private lessons and lessons are 30 minutes for private, groups are usually a little longer depending on what we are working on.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    For you trainers out there, what type of lesson packages do you offer and how do you make it work? Riders too - what lesson packages have you seen offered and what were the terms?

We're looking for ideas to get non boarders to lesson more consistently and to give them an economic incentive to do so. Currently we are a "pay as you go" lesson provider.
    My barn does "lesson cards", which is 11 lessons for the price of 10. They are punch cards that are kept in the barn office, so riders don't have to worry about forgetting or losing their cards. They expire 1 year after time of purchase. We have a LOT of people on lesson cards and the system works really well.

We also have a New Rider card, which is 4 lessons for $100 (lessons are normally $35 each). This card is just for new people though, sort of an incentive package to keep riding. And you can only buy one.

Also, i DO learn a lot from watching the other girls go, even if i'm not getting as intensive instruction as i would in a private lesson
    THIS. i learn a lot from watching other people work on stuff and listening to what the instructor tells them. and it's funny when the instructor yells, "charisma! leg back!" to see everyone else surreptitiously check their positions. (and i do it too.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Thanks everyone. Keep it coming.

As an aside, it's funny about watching lessons. I can be sitting in a deck chair watching DD's lesson and her trainer will yell "sit up" and I unconsciously do it in my chair and then laugh at myself!

2 members found this post helpful.

At our barn we do not have pay as you go.It is way too easy for people to cancel lessons ,if they can do so without penelty.Very hard to make a living when people cancel because they decided they were tired ,or wanted to do something else.
    We have a small lesson program so make ups are very hard to arrange.We sell packages in blocks of 8 and give you 9 weeks to take them in.If you miss one lesson,the 9th week is your make up week.If you make all 8 lessons then the 9th one is free.
    It is amazing how many more people show up regularly when they have to pay for it.Even if people miss more than one lesson in a block,they figure that it all works out well in the long run,if they ride here long term..

1 members found this post helpful.

The farm where I ride does not offer pay as you go. They have 4, 6, or 8 lessons/per month packages and you forfeit any lessons you cancel. There is a small discount when you purchase the 6 or 8 lesson package. I remember thinking this was a fairly restrictive policy that I may not be good with for the long term, but I ended up liking the farm and the instructor enough that I've stuck with them.

Another wrinkle I've seen is limiting the Saturday spots to people who also take lessons during the week. In other words, you can't get a Saturday lesson spot (attractive if you are a 9-to-5-er) if you don't also take lessons during the week.