The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SCAM ALERT

Someone named Bright Orchard sent this to a friend of mine. I would love to have a way to report this. I emailed them and said get a JOB.

you for your email sent sorry am hard hearing person that explain the reason to my email and text messages.I will like you to reserve a full care boarding Stall for 12weeks (3months) for my horse as i am relocating soon to your state,his info as follows.

NAMEerby..Year of birth:2005..Age:7....Sex:Gelding...Height : 15.0 hands...Base Color : Chestnut....Breed:Thoroughbred....Feed: mixed grass hay,sweet feed and water 2times daily...Location: Maryland... Not registered...Deworming due:2nd week of every three month.....Papers:Insurance,health certificate,Neg coggins and vaccinated in January. 2013 against: rhinopnuemonitis, influenza, tetanus, Eastern and Western sleeping sickness, West Nile sleeping sickness and rabies.All papers are current and up to date... My location Gaithersburg, MD you can also text sms me (240) 542-6191. Derby would hopefully arrive at your barn on April 9th He will be fed alfalfa daily and hay,and daily turnout. He' Good mannered and very sweet. Has been started under saddle with no problems. Up to date on everything. Very easy going and smart. Gentle and willing. Will be a very nice horse. No bad habits. Leads loads ties bathes and stands for vet and farrier. He is very smart and a very fast learner. He is not a spooky horse but very inquisitive. He is a smaller type and well balanced. He loads and hauls great, doesn't become stressed. He also is easy to have shod. He loves people. I don't have much time as am busy preparing for Doctor appointment but will have him haul down to your stable...Concerning the payment i can only send you check i would need the following details for the check to get you soon.

Full Name,
    Mailing address,
    Your direct telephone both home and cell,
    Cost of board for 12weeks.

So in view of the above, here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the check or money order to you.The boarding start immediately you have the payment with you and it will include the hauler's fee to be deducted and send via western union for delivery of Derby at your barn...if you have a contract agreement you can send vie email,I will print out,fill and sign contract agreement for boarding as soon as you send agree with me as i am at the hospital at moment and will undergo a surgery soon that is why i want you to get this done for me and i will appreciate that a lot... so i can have a sound surgical done.And also i will be visiting the Barn before the end of Derby's board to ride and exercises him at your stable after i have a good and sound health. Once you get back to me with all the above,I will proceed the check will be issued out immediately and it will be sent to you with further instruction for haulage delivery of Derby at your stable.I'll be glad to hear from you soon.

Thank You!!

Bright Orchard
    borchard112@aol.com
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

I got this too a couple weeks ago.....crazy people

Yeah that is an old one. At least they attempted to do their homework and make it relatively relevant to an equine. This is hilarious! http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...hlight=tatonga

Makes you wonder how stupid they think horse people are!!! Just reading the crazy text gives me a headache!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

It just makes me wonder what their point is... How does a scammer get anything from this?

It all about $$ - they send you a fake cheque for more than services/item worth and ask for the difference. Or they ask you to give the extra $$ to the shipper if you are selling a horse.

Funny that you mention this, because my mom and I run a small time facility and got this message 3 days ago! My mom and I knew it sounded fishy so we deleted the text message. Then about an hour or so later we got a call from another barn down the block saying that they had gotten the same message too and had ACTUALLY ANSWERED.

I really hope that no one falls for this scam..

I am not even sure why a warning is necessary. Would anyone fall for this type of thing? All of these are so obvious.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

2 members found this post helpful.

This one is better than most. Last week I got an email inquiring about my hoes. I directed them to Tractor Supply as I have no hoes to sell.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

4 members found this post helpful.

I got a text from that number as well...

The overage was directed to go to the shipper.

Just once, I'd love to get one of the checks and cash it and keep all the money. Just keep it. Tell them Thanks!! You've now just paid up board til Jan 2015. Send your horse soon! I know, I know, there is no cash behind the check, but it would be fun messing with them to make them think I have all that money now. Keep em going with it. "Hey! My friend cashed your check for me, and gosh, that's alot of money, thanks! Your board is paid up for quite a while, now. Send the horse on to me! I have a buyer all lined up! I'll pay your shipper when he gets here! Oh, your shipper needs a check? Send me another check! I'll pay him! I will need 10 blank checks signed from you, in order to complete this transaction, for the vet and farrier and horse dentist. got any more horses? I'll take checks for those too!" Heh heh.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    The overage was directed to go to the shipper.

Just once, I'd love to get one of the checks and cash it and keep all the money. Just keep it. Tell them Thanks!! You've now just paid up board til Jan 2015. Send your horse soon! I know, I know, there is no cash behind the check, but it would be fun messing with them to make them think I have all that money now. Keep em going with it. "Hey! My friend cashed your check for me, and gosh, that's alot of money, thanks! Your board is paid up for quite a while, now. Send the horse on to me! I have a buyer all lined up! I'll pay your shipper when he gets here! Oh, your shipper needs a check? Send me another check! I'll pay him! I will need 10 blank checks signed from you, in order to complete this transaction, for the vet and farrier and horse dentist. got any more horses? I'll take checks for those too!" Heh heh.
    Do this and you'll just end up paying whatever fees your bank charges you for submitting a check that bounces.

Usually they ask you to wire money to someone (phony shipper or other party) which is included in the rubber check they send you. After a victim has wired money they get notice from their bank that the check they deposited has bounced... No horse ever shows up.

They also like to send similar emails to buy horses..... I'm sending you a check for the purchase price of the horse plus shipping. Again the check is completely fake and victim is out the money they paid for "shipping"

I don't know anyone who's ever actually fallen for this. Usually the English is terrible. The hearing impaired angle is a new twist I guess to keep them from having to talk on the phone.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

I got this too. I responded once and realized it was truly a scam and deleted any future emails.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA