The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I tell you, until you have kids and try to use the system you can't imagine the way it's set up.
    No kidding! When my youngest was in 1/2 day K, her bus ride was nearly an hour long. For 2 hours of Kindergarten. When I complained, they snapped "no one likes being last to drop off, but someone HAS to be!" and we live relatively close to the bus garage. So, we dealt for a while. Until once in about November when a substitute bus driver got lost. I stood waiting for the bus for over an hour and called the garage 3 times. She finally got dropped off at 5:05pm. Instead of 3:45. After my next call they re-assigned a small suburban to take 5 kids off the route and we were one of them.

This year, (our 5th year homeschooling), the high school bus stopped in front of my house every day for weeks. Since the transportation department never gets notified of homeschoolers, I waited and figured they'd stop, but no. So I finally called and found that MY house was designated as the community bus stop for the only TWO kids on the street in high school. And we don't even go to school! Who knows why the poor boy down the street (that we really don't know) didn't want to come and wait at our house. Haha...would you? (at 6:30am?) I'm sure his parents were driving him to school instead.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    I understand that people wait at the end of the drive, but I am amazed that they are in their cars when they have a short driveway. I also agree with those that are shocked by the amount of time it takes to send the child off.
    In my neck of the woods the parents clearly can not even be bothered with taking the car out and driving their spawn to the end of the driveway.
    The bus pulls up in front of the house, turns on all those flashing lights so the rest of the world has to stop.
    We sit and wait. And wait. And wait some more.
    Oh look, a light was turned on inside the front porch. Oh look, here comes a kid out the front door. Kid then meanders down the driveway. No rush here. The world can wait.

This is not a one house thing. It is every driveway, every house. I just do not get it.

I only took the bus to school in high school. The rest of my schooling I walked to school. Our bus driver was on time every day, one stop for our entire neighborhood. If you were not there, you were out of luck. Running down the street screaming might make her pause for you, but most likely not.

3 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I've had a blast reading all these threads about how we are raising fragile, entitled brats. On a board where red thumbs were done away with because they hurt people's feelings. I especially enjoy reading about how everyone thinks parents are doing stuff wrong, but their precious Poopsie is so well behaved she can be trusted at a barn/show/pet trail off leash!

Ahhh, the magic of COTH
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

10 members found this post helpful.

I haven't read all the posts but times sure have changed. When I was in elementary school I lived in a small town in Pennsylvania and all local elementary age kids WALKED to school. That was about half a mile for us, across a major road with a crossing guard and up a pretty big hill to the old elementary school. I was a first grader. The first few times, my Mom walked with us, after that my older brother, a third grader was in charge of me, his little sister. I did that for six years until Junior high. We wore a raincoat or carried an umbrella if it rained.

After that when I went to Junior high which was in a neighboring town, all us kids from our little town again walked to ONE bus stop in town and that was about half a mile in the other direction. That's where we got picked up and left off. I was the class of 81 so this was in the 1970's.

We moved when I was in 9th grade to a farm and then I walked about a mile up our lane and another road to meet the bus. Did that until I graduated. There was a house there that would let us stand on their porch if it was raining or snowing...this was Pennsylvania and it got darn cold in the winter. So for four years I did this..it was simply what was expected and no one complained. My Mother worked and rarely was able to drop us off at the stop nor pick us up.

I also have seen the phenomenon of buses stopping at every single driveway and while most of the parents just watch the kids walk up the driveway versus drive them up, it is incredibly frustrating to be behind one of these frequently stopping busses. It's a bit over the top honestly. I understand parents wanting to be safe and all that but some of these driveways are 30 feet apart and there is NO reason kids could not walk to one point within sight of their homes to board so the bus would only have to make one stop and not 5 or 6.

2 members found this post helpful.

I also have seen the phenomenon of buses stopping at every single driveway and while most of the parents just watch the kids walk up the driveway versus drive them up, it is incredibly frustrating to be behind one of these frequently stopping busses. It's a bit over the top honestly. I understand parents wanting to be safe and all that but some of these driveways are 30 feet apart and there is NO reason kids could not walk to one point within sight of their homes to board so the bus would only have to make one stop and not 5 or 6.
    they do that here. If you're a few minutes late and get stuck behind one of these buses, it can DOUBLE your commute time- because there is no way to get past the bus or turn off somewhere, so you creep slowly alone for mile after mile. I've taken to turning around and seeking an alternative route if this happens.
    And what is really funny is if you're a few minutes early and make it down the street BEFORE the bus gets there, often you'll see the kids congregating and socializing in groups, only to scatter back to their individual driveways for the actual pickup.

the other irritating, completely insane thing is the "school zone"- everyone has to creep along at 15 mph, causing an enormous traffic jam. Just because there's a school somewhere nearby. Why? who knows. You never actually see any children, so it's not improving safety- the children are all inside the cars and buses that are stuck in the crazy traffic jam. Totally insane.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I haven't read all the posts but times sure have changed. When I was in elementary school I lived in a small town in Pennsylvania and all local elementary age kids WALKED to school. That was about half a mile for us, across a major road with a crossing guard and up a pretty big hill to the old elementary school. I was a first grader. The first few times, my Mom walked with us, after that my older brother, a third grader was in charge of me, his little sister. I did that for six years until Junior high. We wore a raincoat or carried an umbrella if it rained.

After that when I went to Junior high which was in a neighboring town, all us kids from our little town again walked to ONE bus stop in town and that was about half a mile in the other direction. That's where we got picked up and left off. I was the class of 81 so this was in the 1970's.

We moved when I was in 9th grade to a farm and then I walked about a mile up our lane and another road to meet the bus. Did that until I graduated. There was a house there that would let us stand on their porch if it was raining or snowing...this was Pennsylvania and it got darn cold in the winter. So for four years I did this..it was simply what was expected and no one complained. My Mother worked and rarely was able to drop us off at the stop nor pick us up.

In most cases it's not the parents, it's the Board of Ed. They don't want to be held responsible if a young person walking along the side of the road gets killed.

We have one stop at the end of the private road in our subdivision and one in each direction on the other side of the road for other subdivisions. The speed limit is 45 mph, there are no sidewalks and precious little shoulders.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    When I was in elementary school I lived in a small town in Pennsylvania and all local elementary age kids WALKED to school. That was about half a mile for us, across a major road with a crossing guard and up a pretty big hill to the old elementary school.
    I was in a not small town in NY and it was the same. The distance was just about 3/4 of a mile. I walked in Kindergarten. (I still have the felt name tag my kindergarten teacher made that says 'walker' where the bus number would go.)
    Crossing guard where we crossed the main road. Up the big hill to the elementary school.

I really do not blame the districts for making things safer. They really have to because of the sue happy society of today. I just do not get why the buses stand there and wait for kids who clearly did not even have their coat on yet inside the house.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I was in a not small town in NY and it was the same. The distance was just about 3/4 of a mile. I walked in Kindergarten. (I still have the felt name tag my kindergarten teacher made that says 'walker' where the bus number would go.)
    Crossing guard where we crossed the main road. Up the big hill to the elementary school.

I really do not blame the districts for making things safer. They really have to because of the sue happy society of today. I just do not get why the buses stand there and wait for kids who clearly did not even have their coat on yet inside the house.
    Around here they don't
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Around here they don't
    Thank goodness they have some common sense in your neck of the woods.

I have seen this very same thing on my way to the barn, too. I don't know how many parents do this because I try to avoid the *rush hour* of hundreds of cars driving each little darling door to door every morning.

The child I saw was middle school age. He is obese. His mother is obese. After he got on the bus, she backed the car back into the garage. I saw this everytime I had to venure out before the busses were done. Hmmm...they probably don't know why they're fat!

btw, his driveway is about 200 feet long, completely out in the open...no trees to hide the bad guys.

Another thing I just remembered. In my state, the unions had an election that unionized day care. A woman was sued for union dues because a bunch of kids waited at her house for the bus. The union categorized her as a daycare because she supervised other people's children.

When my kids were getting on the country bus, they waited at our mailbox. They'd line up the backpacks and lunches in order the order of go for getting on the bus and then they start a game of ball or some other game. They all played together until the bus came. I could have been nailed as a daycare because I was watching out the window.

I thought of this thread tonight. I was talking to a friend who has a seven year old son. She was just notified last week by the school that a predator has tried to talk kids into getting into his car three times in the past week or so in three different nearby towns. And this is a quiet, rural area. Not a place where you would expect trouble.

So all the people who want to keep a close eye on their kids at all times- good for them. Sadly, it's necessary.

I don't have children. I don't want children. I give mad props to anyone who is working hard to raise a child as it is not something I want to do.

I am all for a parent wanting (or needing if dictated) to wait with their child at a stop whether it be in a car or not. I live in a decent suburb, but we have had some men try to lure young girls at some stops in the area, and I totally get why you would not leave your child alone. I for one would be there too if I had a child.

What I do have a problem with, is the entitled attitude some parents in my development have when waiting to pick up/drop off their child. I live in a development with a handful of bus stops where the children congregate. Most of these areas are by stop signs. And everyday, someone decides the best place to park while they are waiting for the bus is directly in front of the stop sign. I can only guess this is to be as close as possible to the actual bus as I have yet, even in the nice summer weather, to see someone walk to the stop. Everyone is in a car. What other reason could there be for making it impossible for others to navigate an intersection?

So there I am, 6:45 every morning, trying to decide if the car opposite me at the three way stop is parked, or possibly going to move towards me. And if I think it's safe to move, I'll have to navigate around the nitwit who parked right where I am trying to go. And of course there is a bend at that intersection and a huge blind spot....

I find it comical that some folks think that because someone doesn't have children they don't "get it". What's to get? To me it has nothing to do with parenting. It does have to do with using some common sense when planting your automobile in the neighborhood like the world revolves around you.

Okay....that was a bit of a rant. And maybe a bit off topic. Having been late to work this morning because of this situation pretty much put me in a foul mood

4 members found this post helpful.

The bus pulls up in front of the house, turns on all those flashing lights so the rest of the world has to stop.
    Are you saying you don't understand the purpose of stopping traffic for small children getting onto a bus? Do you know how many kids have been hit by cars while getting on and off buses? For crying out loud... find something better to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by alternate_universe View Post
    Are you saying you don't understand the purpose of stopping traffic for small children getting onto a bus? Do you know how many kids have been hit by cars while getting on and off buses? For crying out loud... find something better to complain about.
    Try reading the whole thing and not just quoting a small piece and ranting about it.

I get the whole bus stopping thing. It is not rocket science why it is a good idea. I do not get the parents who do not even have their kids ready in the house while the bus sits in the road making the rest of the world wait while Johnny finishes his toast and finds his other mitten, we sit, while he grabs his backpack and flicks on the outside light, we sit, while his mom calls him back in to kiss her goodbye, we sit, while he casually strolls down the driveway playing in a puddle, we sit.

Here, let me quote my own post so you can read the whole thing I posted.

We sit and wait. And wait. And wait some more.
    Oh look, a light was turned on inside the front porch. Oh look, here comes a kid out the front door. Kid then meanders down the driveway. No rush here. The world can wait.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by comingback View Post
    What I do have a problem with, is the entitled attitude some parents in my development have when waiting to pick up/drop off their child. . . . .
    . . . It does have to do with using some common sense when planting your automobile in the neighborhood like the world revolves around you.
    I SO agree with you!!! In spades. My problem is a little different. Luckily my neighborhood is currently fairly unpopulated with school-age children (unless there are some that get driven to school).

But the entrance to our narrow gravel road is unfortunately situated on a wicked-sharp semi-blind curve that drivers seem to delight in whipping through at high speeds. I've had the misfortune numerous times to come around that turn (slowly!) expecting to be able to drive on in, but lo & behold there are 2-3 side-by-side vehicles - blocking the road entrance completely - sitting there with women yakking away, waiting for their spawn to be dropped off.

Honestly - do they not think that anyone else might want ingress or egress?? Do they not realize how dangerous it is to force someone to sit at a standstill at the apex of this blind curve while they visibly huff-huff & reconfigure their car(s) so someone else who happens to LIVE on this street can get in/out??

Selfish entitlement at one of its best.

3 members found this post helpful.

http://www.clpex.com/Articles/Newz/2002/2002-08-14.htm

I also lived in Spotsylvania county and knew of the Silva, Lisk slayings. I was childless at the time and wondering why all the parents waited at the end of their driveways to collect their children. Then someone told me about the abduction/rapes and murders and it made sense.

Now I do have a school aged child and I do walk her to the bus stop (we live in city) and collect her. The bus will not let her off if I am in a car. I have to be physically standing at the stop or nearby for him to allow her off. You folks who complain about how it was back in the day can feel free to let you little girls and boys walk to school. Me I'm keeping an eye on my girl.

I agree that it is unfair for parents to take too long to get their children to the stop. The bus should not stop if there is no child standing within 20 feet of the bus stop. If I were in charge of the world I'd dictate that if you are not there, the bus will not stop and if you are late, then that's your problem not anyone else's.

People need to be responsible. Period.

But today is a different world than when we went to school (and walked uphill both ways in the snow) There are online databases that allow you to view the local sexual offenders, and etc. So you know that they are just around the block from you.

(I still have the felt name tag my kindergarten teacher made that says 'walker' where the bus number would go.)
    OMG that is the cutest!

And the rest of you kids: Get off my damn lawn!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Try reading the whole thing and not just quoting a small piece and ranting about it.

I get the whole bus stopping thing. It is not rocket science why it is a good idea. I do not get the parents who do not even have their kids ready in the house while the bus sits in the road making the rest of the world wait while Johnny finishes his toast and finds his other mitten, we sit, while he grabs his backpack and flicks on the outside light, we sit, while his mom calls him back in to kiss her goodbye, we sit, while he casually strolls down the driveway playing in a puddle, we sit.

Here, let me quote my own post so you can read the whole thing I posted.

I still don't get the attitude. What's Johnny supposed to do? Rocket out the door with his outerwear halfway on and trip over something on his dark porch? If the kid is over 5 minutes late every day that's the bus driver's job to mention it to his superiors at the garage who can then contact the parents. You just sound cranky that some little kid isn't dressing and walking fast enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by alternate_universe View Post
    I still don't get the attitude. What's Johnny supposed to do? Rocket out the door with his outerwear halfway on and trip over something on his dark porch? If the kid is over 5 minutes late every day that's the bus driver's job to mention it to his superiors at the garage who can then contact the parents. You just sound cranky that some little kid isn't dressing and walking fast enough for you.
    Are you really that much of an idiot?? How sad for you.

"Johnny" needs to have a "mom" who has all his ducks in a row EVERY DAY (oh, the humanity!). He's been awakened at an appropiate time, has bathed, has had some sort of breakfast, & is ready to meet the bus when it arrives.

Wow. Rocket science.

6 members found this post helpful.