The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I walked myself to kindergarden however we had sidewalks. I would be nervous as an adult if I had to walk along some of the roads here in Spotsy.
    So would I. But the bus stopping at every. single. driveway - all about 15 feet away from each other? Come on.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    Ok, I get the threat of abduction...so as a parent, you should bundle you an bumpkins up, grab an umbrella if it is raining, and WALK to the end of the drive. No wonder kids are getting obese!
    Even though the odds of a child being abducted are actually LOWER now than they used to be (people just think it's higher because of news stories, and even in most of those it ends up being a relative)....but seriously, WALK. I don't care if you have a hybrid, it's a waste of mechanical energy and a wasted opportunity for your kid to get some dnm exercise.

Re: seat belts on the bus: At the afterschool I worked for we did not use them because the relatively low risk of a rollover was outweighed by what a logistical nightmare it would be if we had to evacuate 20+ grade-school children from a bus quickly when they were belted in.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow thanks everyone for responding to the tangent question I asked. I never knew some kids were riding buses for a couple of hours a day!!

Rural PA here...my kids have to walk to the bus stop...about a 1/4 mile and wait on a funky turn that people can't see around...They have been doing it for years and no one has diedfrom it...

As for someone abducting them...muwahahahahaha...they would only bring the monsters back and pay me to take them off their hands. (not really but they would be screaming terrors)

Lol!!!!!

Again - I'm all for protecting children & all for protecting them getting to & from school, but around here, it's absolutely positively ridiculous.

(And I can't even imagine how much extra fuel it burns to stop & start these busses every 15 friggin feet for miles & miles.)

I understand the instinct to protect your child from harm. But I can't help but think we are raising a generation of kids unable to function without parents tethered to them physically or via cell. Is self reliance being lost?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    So, I have noticed a phenomenon during my early morning commutes to the barn and back where parents seem to be DRIVING their children to the end of the driveway (which sometimes is even a couple hundred feet away from the house !!), and waiting in the car with the child until the bus comes. Generally the bus stops at every. single. driveway., because apparently it is impossible for several children to self-ambulate to one common meeting point and all board the bus simultaneously at a single location.

When the bus arrives, the child emerges, intrepidly marches the remaining ten feet, and gets on the bus. His parental chariot then backs a couple hundred feet up the driveway again back to the manse. Recently a friend reported seeing parents actually getting on the bus WITH their children, even as late in the year as second semeseter, and then emerging a minute later again after presumably seat belts were securely fastened and such, (during which all the other cars had to wait, of course) to stand in the driveway and wave while the bus pulled away to the next driveway 25 feet down the road upon which the whole process began anew.

When it is time for the brave little tykes to return home, legions of parents drive from their garage to the mailbox and await their charges, the better to chauffer them in airconditioned comfort over the yards that lie between the road and the house.

So, explain this to me.
    Can the children seriously not find their way to the end of the driveway without getting lost?
    Are they unable to reliably wait there until the big yellow vehicle appears?
    Can they not fasten their own seatbelt?
    If said yellow vehicle were to drop them off at the end of the day and mom or dad were not around to chauffer them from the road to the door, would they be unable to visually locate the large "house-shaped" thing in the background and self-ambulate toward it?

What gives?

Clearly every single parent residing in every single driveway between the barn and my house has drunk this Kool-Aid, so I'm just wondering what the dillio is.

Signed,
    The Commuter Who Is Grumbling To Herself, "Meanwhile, On The Other Side Of The World, The 10 Year Olds Are Walking 45 Minutes With A Machete To Spend All Day Cutting Down Rice."
    Loved your descriptive post!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post

(And I can't even imagine how much extra fuel it burns to stop & start these busses every 15 friggin feet for miles & miles.)
    The bus doesn't shut off... so I don't know that it burns any more fuel idling for the few seconds it's at each stop than if they required the kids to hop aboard as it passed by like hobos hoppin' a freight train... but I imagine the former leads to less liability claims than the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    The bus doesn't shut off... so I don't know that it burns any more fuel idling for the few seconds it's at each stop than if they required the kids to hop aboard as it passed by like hobos hoppin' a freight train... but I imagine the former leads to less liability claims than the latter.
    Regardless - it's still STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!!!!

I live out at the end of a dead end street and think it is absurd that the little darlings can not walk to the end of the street to wait for the bus. I guess I should be careful what I wish for because at least as it stands now, I only have to deal with the cars constantly parking on the grass in front of the house, no matter how wet or muddy. It is a constant battle to maintain that corner because of the damage they do. Last year, I put some basketball sized rocks along the edge, just to keep them off the grass.

Maybe having a little gang of inconsiderate, entitled kids (as a few on this street have aptly and repeatedly demonstrated themselves to be) hanging out at the buss stop and throwing their cigarette butts on my lawn would be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    I understand the instinct to protect your child from harm. But I can't help but think we are raising a generation of kids unable to function without parents tethered to them physically or via cell. Is self reliance being lost?
    Self reliance is something you build up to by doling out handle-able amounts of independence to children, as they show they are capable of taking on more.

Are you suggesting most or many parents are not capable of determining what their kids are capable of handling better than a commuter passing by as she passes judgement based on a seconds long glimpse of a car at the end of a driveway and her growing angst at being stuck behind a bus she could have easily avoided being behind by herself showing some self reliance and leaving a few minutes earlier?

8 members found this post helpful.

My kids walk or ride their bikes to the school, about a mile by the roads. They're 13-ish and 15.

On their way to and fro they pass the school bus which parks a block away from our house and picks kids up to take them the rest of the way to the school... all .6 miles of it. It takes my kids 15 minutes to walk home (it's uphill and their backpacks are heavy! ) and about 5 minutes on their bikes. They both beat the bus to the stop every single day. Every day at the stop there are 3-4 cars waiting for kids that they seriously drive three houses down to get home on city streets with sidewalks and no traffic and not even houses on one side of the road. They are 3 houses down from the bus stop but they drive there, idle their cars there, and wait for the kids and drive them home. And the kids are tweens or teens. No littles.

My son is shocked at this Every. Single. Day.

That said-we used to live about a half mile from the bus stop and in the morning I drove the kids entirely b/c we were way too unorganized to get them out the door to walk on time. They always walked home by themselves though.

So would I. But the bus stopping at every. single. driveway - all about 15 feet away from each other? Come on.
    So call the school district or bus company.
    I didn't get to choose where my kids bust stop is, believe me, I would have never picked where it is if I'd had a say!

So call and complain to those who can change it, rather than malign those who are stuck with it.

3 members found this post helpful.

I've been stuck behind a suburban school bus and seen mom wait at the end of the very short (IMO) driveway in the SUV too. Didn't realize it was such a phenomena.

Seriously though- after reading this thread- how did I survive childhood? No seat belts, lead paint, walked to school LOL.

Yes, I think that is what I'm suggesting. When you have middle schoolers waiting for the bus with Mom hanging out too, you have to wonder,

I'm not referring to the k through 4th grade or so. In mu neighborhood, you even have parents hanging with the high school kids....

"So call the school district or bus company.
    I didn't get to choose where my kids bust stop is, believe me, I would have never picked where it is if I'd had a say!

So call and complain to those who can change it, rather than malign those who are stuck with it."

While I'll fully admit that I haven't called in, many have. But apparently the majority rules, & kids getting picked up at each & every driveway - regardless of the ridiculously short distances - is the rule. Period.

Both sad & stupid. But that seems to be the way our local school system works in general.

What a different world we live in. There is no bus service at all any more in my area - and I wish to shout there was. What we have, instead, is a line of cars waiting to pick up the youngsters in high schools 4,000 kids strong...and the middle school that feeds the high school is right next door, with a whole new line of cars.

I see kids running across the middle of busy streets (where the city bus lets them off), not bothering to walk to the light. I see cars parked two deep, cutting in front of each other and about pasting kids who are walking or riding their bikes. This is not a safe situation for anybody! The elementary schools are no better.

My younger son goes to a public charter across town - it's a little better in that there are about 300 students in this school, but you still have to be careful approaching the car line. You don't really know who's paying attention and who's not. No way would I have him bike the ten miles - he'd have to negotiate three such high school areas and 45-50 MPH zones the entire way. Nuh-uh.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

It is probably easier to stop at every driveway than to establish neighborhood bus stops. There would be the "I don't want my child to have to walk to...." to "I don't want a bunch of kids at the end of my driveway" since at least in my area with no sidewalks the is little buffer between the traffic and individual private property. The other alternative would be for the county to invoke eminent domain, condemn the property and establish neighborhood bus stops. IMHO that would get ugly and expensive.

Not to mention the result of a child getting killed.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

"So call the school district or bus company.

So call and complain to those who can change it, rather than malign those who are stuck with it."

While I'll fully admit that I haven't called in, many have. But apparently the majority rules, & kids getting picked up at each & every driveway - regardless of the ridiculously short distances - is the rule. Period.

Both sad & stupid. But that seems to be the way our local school system works in general.
    But since you did not call to ask and voice your opinion, you can't know the why of their having the bus stop at every driveway.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I started riding the bus in 7th grade. I drove myself, my sis and my neighbor up to the bus stop. Because our driveway was almost 2 miles and hilly.

DD rode the bus a few times in 1st grade, but I drove her the nearly half mile down our drive because a) she was 6 and b) we have so much oil field traffic that just FLIES down the dirt road.

In the afternoons the bus driver wouldn't let her off if I wasn't there waiting because well, she was 6.

It ended up being much better for our schedule if I just dropped her off at school every morning and picked her up in the afternoons.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"