The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

LOL I have often wondered that as well. When I was young, I walked 2 blocks to the School bus, and that was that, My mother would NEVER have driven me down and sat there while I waited. If I got up late, MAYBE she would drive me to school, but there had better have been a good reason.
    Sheesh, come on, that is what umbrellas and warm clothes are for.
    MAking wimps out of kids in all areas.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

a number of you are stating that it is a rule from the school or the county that there needs to be a parent or guardian at the bus stop. Kids get out of school at 3 and are home by 4 how is it possible for a parent to be at work if their kids do not get the bus till 8-8:30 and return before 5? Its impossible! How do they expect parents to make ends meet of one is forced to work part time because of some rule the school makes them follow. What if they do not have grandparents around or other family members to fill in? Now they have to pay a babysitter to come and pick up the child.

I guess I am a little jaded because I actually walked to the bus stop for all of my 12 years in school and stand out in the snow and rain (grew up outside of philly). We also took care of ourselves of we came home and my mom was not there.

I do feel to a degree that the younger generations are a bit soft because of the coulda's that may or may not happen. Its like they are wrapped in bubble wrap. and I only do that to my warmblood

Our school district requires a parent present until the child is in fourth grade.

That said I walk my kid down the 6-7 houses to the end of the street. Only on very cold rainy mornings do I think about the car....like 33 and down pour.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    a number of you are stating that it is a rule from the school or the county that there needs to be a parent or guardian at the bus stop. Kids get out of school at 3 and are home by 4 how is it possible for a parent to be at work if their kids do not get the bus till 8-8:30 and return before 5? Its impossible! How do they expect parents to make ends meet of one is forced to work part time because of some rule the school makes them follow. What if they do not have grandparents around or other family members to fill in? Now they have to pay a babysitter to come and pick up the child.

I guess I am a little jaded because I actually walked to the bus stop for all of my 12 years in school and stand out in the snow and rain (grew up outside of philly). We also took care of ourselves of we came home and my mom was not there.

I do feel to a degree that the younger generations are a bit soft because of the coulda's that may or may not happen. Its like they are wrapped in bubble wrap. and I only do that to my warmblood
    My guess is that the school's don't really care about working parents, which really sucks.

I remember missing the bus a few times and I had to wait around school until late when a parent could pick me up. My parents caught a lot of flack about not being able to pick me right away. They both worked, but the school didn't give a flip.

It seriously makes homeschooling more and more attractive, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

A parent has the right to accompany their child to a bus stop if they feel it's prudent.

I don't see this as a social problem. I see this as a parent choosing to care for and guard their children, in response to social problems.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    How old were the kids? That makes all the difference in whether this mother was CPS-worthy or justified. I mean, a 3 and 5 year old is a lot different than a 9 and 11 year old.
    I didn't hear the whole interview, but here it is. The kids are 6 & 8 and the park is behind their home.

The mother said as they got older, she might even let them cross the street to play in the other park
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Our stop is about a 1/2 mile from our house, on the side of a 45 mph two lane road (where people tend to go more like 60). I wouldn't let a little kid stand out there alone. No sidewalks, of course, and no shoulder either in our area. I have driven my son off and on, and then YES, backed down my private road to my driveway. I enjoyed that time alone with my teenager, and I really can't imagine it being a big enough deal to someone who doesn't know us to be worth commenting. My kids aren't lazy, and my 6'5" , 160 lb kid isn't in desperate need of calorie burning. I now have two extra kids, and I'm driving the elementary aged one to school, because the bus comes at 6:38, and that's just too early, in my book. They all walk to and from regularly, and I don't see it as a big deal either way. I can't imagine having so little going on in my life that people's school bus habits would even register on my mental "screen".

On my way to work one morning I got stuck behind a school bus in a tiny town (It literally has a fire house, one tiny little school and about five houses. The entire town consists of about 1-2 blocks.) where the bus stopped for a kid by the side of the road (maybe 8-10 years old), drove about 20 feets and turned right into the school. All the kid literally had to do was walk across his 1/8 of an acre yard to get to school, but no, he had to wait out by the road for however long he stood there to make the 1.5 second drive to school. I was amazed.

And yes, from third grade through fifth grade I walked a mile (literally) to and from school, through a small town, either by myself or with two or three friends who lived the same direction and it was never a big deal. Once in middle school/high school when the school was a few miles away about 20 of us from that part of town would all congregate at one bus stop (one was in the park, another by a local pizza place) so the bus only had to make a couple of stops in town.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    A parent has the right to accompany their child to a bus stop if they feel it's prudent.

I don't see this as a social problem. I see this as a parent choosing to care for and guard their children, in response to social problems.
    No one is saying you shouldn't accompany your child. But do you really need to drive your SUV which gets 7 gallons to the mile down the driveway?
    You want to talk about social problems? Childhood obesity is one of them and it is because no one walks anymore (including me). God forbid your little darling get cold....or wet....or whatever. Better to incovenience everyone on the road because little Johnny can't walk to the a communal bus stop!

I don't have kids, but I watched a child for someone and got the child to the bus. We walked most of the time, on horribly cold days I sometimes drove us, (more for me!) it wasn't that far, but our bus was SO unreliable, that there was a good 10-15 minute window it would come in, and I'm a wimp and hate being cold, and this is Canada. I did NOT let him go to wait for the bus alone, even if he wanted to. It was a busy road that many people used for commuting and do about 55mph, and with the amount of crazy child abductors in the world, I was standing right there with him. I wouldn't want a child, or even a teenager for that matter, walking down this road, it is ridiculously busy, and when the weather is bad there is zero visibility and no sidewalk. It would be so easy for a person to get hit. The child was in 1st or 2nd grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    I didn't hear the whole interview, but here it is. The kids are 6 & 8 and the park is behind their home.

The mother said as they got older, she might even let them cross the street to play in the other park
    This is like the mother who left one of her children strapped into a car seat in a running vehicle parked 30 feet away while she took the other two children to bring their saved change to donate to the Salvation Army santa on the sidewalk.
    She was arrested.

I am telling you, I would not be able to successfully raise a child to adulthood in this country without having it taken away.

4 members found this post helpful.

Clearly you are younger than I am. I can remember walking home from elementary school for lunch, every day, from 12 - 1. Talk about making it difficult or impossible for both parents to work outside the home!

Our school district requires someone at the bus stop until first grade (we have kindergarten and "pre-first", for kids not yet ready for first grade). Parents are not allowed ON the bus and, no, our buses don't have seatbelts.

Our bus stop isn't far, a couple of blocks, through elementary school. Starting in middle school, it's about 1/2 mile, no big deal. I walked my son (and a couple of other kids) to the bus stop through second grade, since then he's been going, and waiting, on his own, with a neighbor boy. No one sits in cars at our bus stop, but the one after that ALWAYS has a line of cars with parents sitting in it in the morning. I'm not sure why.

I see the same thing (in suburbia) as the OP and have wondered the same thing as I am driving to the barn before work. So it is not limited to where she is.
    I understand having the bus stop at the end of every driveway on one of the roads (and roads like it) because traffic goes pretty fast and there are no sidewalks. I do not understand the ones sitting in the car at the end of their 100 foot driveway with their parents who, once the kid gets on, drive back to the house (so they are not continuing on to work) and these kids are not kindergartners either. And they do it in all weather so it is not just because when it is cold.
    For side roads with little traffic, I don't see why every driveway is its own separate stop and why the parents drive the kids to the end of their driveway.
    In my neighborhood, the elementary school is at the end of a short street with very very little traffic and a low speed limit in a very safe neighborhood. You could stand in front of your house and watch your kids walk the whole way to school and parents still walk them to the door. I am sure some drive them but I don't see that since the car entrance is on another road. I can see walking them when they are 5, but when they are in 6th grade?
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

After school day care. School bus drops children of at day care, parents pick them up after work. In some places it is illegal to leave kids home alone unsupervised, depending on age.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    I can't imagine having so little going on in my life that people's school bus habits would even register on my mental "screen".
    When you are behind the bus and stopping every 100 yards, you have a lot of time to notice the details of those waiting for the school bus and wonder why they are doing things.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    When you are behind the bus and stopping every 100 yards, you have a lot of time to notice the details of those waiting for the school bus and wonder why they are doing things.
    For reals.
    Maybe re-look at the picture I provided to document the phenomenon.

One person has gotten up to ride a training horse before work.
    She notices, while riding around and around this same field in obviously brisk weather day after day, that other people are spending the same time she is spending on a horse exercising and working toward goals, sitting inside a running vehicle after deigning to self-ambulate down the driveway.

Now who has "so little going on in their life?"

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor2 View Post
    No one is saying you shouldn't accompany your child. But do you really need to drive your SUV which gets 7 gallons to the mile down the driveway?
    You want to talk about social problems? Childhood obesity is one of them and it is because no one walks anymore (including me). God forbid your little darling get cold....or wet....or whatever. Better to incovenience everyone on the road because little Johnny can't walk to the a communal bus stop!
    Really? Actually, mine gets 24 miles per gallon, FWIW...
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    In some places it is illegal to leave kids home alone unsupervised, depending on age.
    in my county it's illegal to leave a child under age 7 unattended, or to leave a car running with no driver.

i finally ran into the woman across my parking lot whose husband leaves the van running with the little kids in it while he's in the house; she and i started chatting horses (she rides h/j up the road) and i casually mentioned my concern about the kids in the car.... i haven't noticed him doing it since. i was just waiting for the little boy to hop into the driver's seat and kick the van into gear and drive it into the front of their house.... and at least once a year in my area someone leaves a kid alone in a house and the child sets it on fire.

so, yes, some of these laws have a basis in common sense; one wonders that we *need* them, but there you go.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Maybe while they're sitting in their vehicle they are conversing with their offspring? Maybe they wonder why the person on the horse is wasting their time with a "dumb animal"? To each their own. Lots of people complain (me included!) that parents don't spend enough time with their kids anymore, yet there's complaining that they are wasting their time sitting with them every morning. To each their own is what it comes down to.
    Kerri

4 members found this post helpful.