The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default Whose kids can't get to the end of the driveway by themselves to await the bus?

So, I have noticed a phenomenon during my early morning commutes to the barn and back where parents seem to be DRIVING their children to the end of the driveway (which sometimes is even a couple hundred feet away from the house !!), and waiting in the car with the child until the bus comes. Generally the bus stops at every. single. driveway., because apparently it is impossible for several children to self-ambulate to one common meeting point and all board the bus simultaneously at a single location.

When the bus arrives, the child emerges, intrepidly marches the remaining ten feet, and gets on the bus. His parental chariot then backs a couple hundred feet up the driveway again back to the manse. Recently a friend reported seeing parents actually getting on the bus WITH their children, even as late in the year as second semeseter, and then emerging a minute later again after presumably seat belts were securely fastened and such, (during which all the other cars had to wait, of course) to stand in the driveway and wave while the bus pulled away to the next driveway 25 feet down the road upon which the whole process began anew.

When it is time for the brave little tykes to return home, legions of parents drive from their garage to the mailbox and await their charges, the better to chauffer them in airconditioned comfort over the yards that lie between the road and the house.

So, explain this to me.
    Can the children seriously not find their way to the end of the driveway without getting lost?
    Are they unable to reliably wait there until the big yellow vehicle appears?
    Can they not fasten their own seatbelt?
    If said yellow vehicle were to drop them off at the end of the day and mom or dad were not around to chauffer them from the road to the door, would they be unable to visually locate the large "house-shaped" thing in the background and self-ambulate toward it?

What gives?

Clearly every single parent residing in every single driveway between the barn and my house has drunk this Kool-Aid, so I'm just wondering what the dillio is.

Signed,
    The Commuter Who Is Grumbling To Herself, "Meanwhile, On The Other Side Of The World, The 10 Year Olds Are Walking 45 Minutes With A Machete To Spend All Day Cutting Down Rice."

32 members found this post helpful.

Your buses have seat belts? Parents are allowed on the bus? Here, they'd be receiving a citation if they went up those stairs, it's illegal.
    My daughter has always waited for her bus by herself, but I have been known to sit on a bench near a window to keep an eye on her. We are rural, wouldn't be too dang hard for some asshat to drive by and do something not cool.
    I think the separate stops are for liability issues. Sounds crazy I know.
    Kerri

1 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps it's fear of abduction? When I rode the bus our driver took no nonsense, if our neighbor kids didn't get to my driveway in time they got left. When it was cold you could stand under the eave of the house, but you better start running as soon as you heard the bus. She had NO problem leaving you behind or chewing you out all the way to school
    Quarry Rat

Children are now considered to be very fragile precious commodities.

39 members found this post helpful.

Wow, just wow! I see kids at the bus stops in the semi-country area where I live and they do all congregate in one place, like I did when I was a kid. Yes, even in the snow. And I had to walk probably 1/2 mile to get to the bus stop.

What you are talking about sounds silly - how old are these kids? I suppose I can understand a parent being worried about a little one such that they wait with the child - but on foot...or put a little bench at the stop where you can sit and wait. But driving to the end of the driveway?! WTF?!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    But driving to the end of the driveway?! WTF?!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/DSC03656.jpg

See: the car at the end of the driveway behind us.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Wow. I grew up in the middle of nowhere and the bus picked us up and dropped us off either at the top of the road or at the Post Office, our choice. Also our choice on how we got home from there. I left my rollerblades at the top of the street by the train tracks and skated the 3 miles home.

I get it if your driveway is long or the footing isn't good- Mom dropped me off at the top of the road to wait for the bus on her way to work, and she'd pick up the neighbor's daughter too, whose dad drove her to the top of their four mile long, very steep driveway with an unsafe bridge they weren't allowed to walk on. But in a suburb? Really?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I love your quarter sheet!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

2 members found this post helpful.

To avoid the long bus ride, at least half of the parents in the suburb (way out in the country, converted farm land suburb) drive their kids to either the elementary (almost 10 miles one way), or the middle and high schools (about 10 miles the other way) every single day. The ones who wait for the bus, many times on really rainy days will drive them to the bus stop area and park, and they wait in the car, but some never touch bare ground or ride the bus.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

My school board has a policy that all Kindergarten students must have an adult at the bus stop at both pick up and drop off. The adult must be within speaking distance of the driver.
    The only time I have ever met the bus in my vehicle is when I am heading off as soon as the kids are picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    So, I have noticed a phenomenon during my early morning commutes to the barn and back where parents seem to be DRIVING their children to the end of the driveway (which sometimes is even a couple hundred feet away from the house !!), and waiting in the car with the child until the bus comes. Generally the bus stops at every. single. driveway., because apparently it is impossible for several children to self-ambulate to one common meeting point and all board the bus simultaneously at a single location.

When the bus arrives, the child emerges, intrepidly marches the remaining ten feet, and gets on the bus. His parental chariot then backs a couple hundred feet up the driveway again back to the manse. Recently a friend reported seeing parents actually getting on the bus WITH their children, even as late in the year as second semeseter, and then emerging a minute later again after presumably seat belts were securely fastened and such, (during which all the other cars had to wait, of course) to stand in the driveway and wave while the bus pulled away to the next driveway 25 feet down the road upon which the whole process began anew.

When it is time for the brave little tykes to return home, legions of parents drive from their garage to the mailbox and await their charges, the better to chauffer them in airconditioned comfort over the yards that lie between the road and the house.

So, explain this to me.
    Can the children seriously not find their way to the end of the driveway without getting lost?
    Are they unable to reliably wait there until the big yellow vehicle appears?
    Can they not fasten their own seatbelt?
    If said yellow vehicle were to drop them off at the end of the day and mom or dad were not around to chauffer them from the road to the door, would they be unable to visually locate the large "house-shaped" thing in the background and self-ambulate toward it?

What gives?

Clearly every single parent residing in every single driveway between the barn and my house has drunk this Kool-Aid, so I'm just wondering what the dillio is.

Signed,
    The Commuter Who Is Grumbling To Herself, "Meanwhile, On The Other Side Of The World, The 10 Year Olds Are Walking 45 Minutes With A Machete To Spend All Day Cutting Down Rice."
    Personally I was one of those moms when my kids were younger.

Why?

1. we live on a busy road - and our driveway is long enough that if something were to happen while they were out there waiting it would take me more then 5 seconds to get to them from the house. I didn't necessarily drive them - but I definitely have been known to either walk up every day, - or run them up on the atv.

2. I'd rather be one of those moms, then be on the evening news because my child was taken by a man in a van.

Its about responsibility & safety for me - not laziness. Shrug.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

11 members found this post helpful.

In some places it is illegal for the school bus driver to drop young children of if there is no one waiting for them. We had 2 elementary/Middle school girls murdered by someone who snatched the girls after they got off the bus. Also on roads where there are no sidewalks it's not safe or young children to be walking along the side of the road

ETA: I do agree with the annoyance of seeing parents wait until the bus stops to have the children unbuckle their seatbelt and start to disembark while mom (usually) hugs child, hands child lunch and generally carries on as if she is sending the child of to war.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

3 members found this post helpful.

Ok, I get the threat of abduction...so as a parent, you should bundle you an bumpkins up, grab an umbrella if it is raining, and WALK to the end of the drive. No wonder kids are getting obese!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

17 members found this post helpful.

don't get me started. on my commute in the morning i have to time it to miss the school bus that stops, in the right lane of a 6 lane divided highway, to pick up a child at the end of his driveway. bus then proceeds approximately 2 more bus lengths, and turns right onto a side street. *why* the child canNOT wait for the bus there is absolutely beyond me. so three lanes of traffic (45 mph speed limit) comes to a screeching halt every morning. (even if the child is special needs and his mother doesn't want to let him out of her sight--they can't walk up to the corner? really?)

as someone who lived at the top of a dead end street and started walking over 500 feet down to the road to get the bus starting at age FIVE, i am at a loss here.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Here's how it's been explained to me: in rural areas, it's not safe for the kids to walk along the narrow roads without sidewalks, so the bus picks up every kid at the end of their driveway. A lot of those roads are really not safe, especially in winter when the snowbanks are high and a small kid would be pretty much invisible walking along the road in the dark (am school bus starts picking up at 7am, afternoons kids aren't home til almost 4:30). Parents sometimes drive kids to the bus stop (end of driveway) so that 1) they know they did get out of the house on time and onto the bus, and 2) parent then continues on to work.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    Ok, I get the threat of abduction...so as a parent, you should bundle you an bumpkins up, grab an umbrella if it is raining, and WALK to the end of the drive. No wonder kids are getting obese!
    What if you are a single parent and have a very young child that you need to wait with but you need to get to work on time also? I can see reasons why people would drive their car and wait. Your car warms up, kid gets safely on bus and you head out immediately.
    Kerri

2 members found this post helpful.

When I rode the bus, the stop was at the bottom of the street, at the bottom of a hill. There were nine or ten of us kids on my street who rode the bus, and we all walked down the hill together, and when the bus dropped us off, we walked back up the hill together.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

3 members found this post helpful.

I think it probably really depends upon the type of area you're talking about.

For instance, I grew up in rural farmville. The homes were a mile or more apart; so obviously the school bus stopped at each driveway. My driveway growing up was a bit over a quarter-mile long, so on days when I schlepped by big brass band instrument home and back to school, yeah, my mom sometimes drove me to the end of the lane to pick up the bus.

There are some areas around me that are still kind of rural, while having a suburban flavor to them. The houses aren't close together, there are no sidewalks, and the speed limit on these roads is usually around 45 mph, so I'd think it'd be pretty damn dangerous to have kids randomly wandering in the ditches to get to a central pick up/drop off point.

I HATE (like, with a blinding white-hot rage) driving through these areas to get to work (and now avoid them completely) because if god forbid you end up behind a school bus, you'll add 20 minutes to your commute because the buses stop at almost every. single. driveway. But I fail to see how to alleviate it, because of the way the neighborhood is designed and built.

fwiw, in my youth, there was one Dad who drove his 2 kids down their (probably shy of a quarter-mile) lane to meet the bus and picked them up in his truck every. single. day. of our childhoods, regardless of the weather. They were far and away the exception in my farming community. All the kids on the bus made fun of these two kids for it.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Children are now considered to be very fragile precious commodities.
    Precisely. They will melt if they have to stand in the rain (even with appropriate rain gear) or freeze into solid blocks of marble if the temperature is below 60 degrees. Plus they might break a leg if they have to walk to and from the bus stop by themselves. Far safer if they sit with mommy in the 100% climate-controlled SUV as it belches petroleum waste products into the air.
    I can see maybe appointing one mom or dad to stand with the very young children waiting on The Cheesebox. But no, in our neighborhood it's ALL the parents, and they each have to have a 40 minute dialogue with the driver.

The city tried to designate my driveway as a bus stop about 3 years ago. Uh-uh, no way in hell was that going to happen. We do not HAVE children and do not want to have to navigate through a gaggle of kids and heli-parents every morning when we leave for work. The folks in charge clearly thought I was an asshole for demanding they move the stop, but I didn't care.

13 members found this post helpful.

Why don't you ask someone? There may be a good reason. And given how rampant it appears to be in your area, it may well be that there are some rules in place that require the parents to be present.

As I think about it, I'm willing to bet I have a friend who has fallen into this habit. I recall that earlier this year she was frustrated that the bus ran between 10-15 minutes late a few times a week and that bundling up her toddler and infant for the wait was getting to be a bit frustrating for all involved as winter set in. I'm willing to bet that its much easier to pack the toddler and baby up in the car instead of dressing them all in the gear required for -15 weather.

Anyway, I think there are bigger issues when it comes to raising kids. My parents didn't wait with me at the end of the driveway, but that is because I didn't have to walk to the bus stop as I was picked up in front of my house (no driveway). I don't think that this has caused any sort of irreparable harm or that I lack the ability to be independent.