The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default talk to me about what you feed your jumpers!

Would've posted over in Horse Care, but since this question is pretty specific to jumpers, I thought i'd try here first anyway, its a bit of a two part question:

First, tell me what you feed your jumper!(Hay, grain, supps, extras like oil, etc) Of any level, although i'm particularly interested in 4'+jumpers do to the amount of "energy"/maintenance needed. Why does feeding what you do work for your horse?

Second, I'm looking for a bit of advice on my mare's grain. She is one of those wild one day, quiet the next type warmbloods(she is 12). Always under control, but nevertheless....chestnut mares lol. So Currently she's eating:
    1 1/2 flake alfalfa
    2 flake grass
    1 lb lmf senior
    2 packet Platinum performance joint+hoof
    cocosoya oil (for the shiney)
    electrolyte

My concern with her is that as our show schedule approaches, I wonder if she might need a slightly 'hotter'/little more energy grain. When she is in very heavy work, she quiets down considerably, which is great! But this will be her heaviest show season to date(jumps the bigger jumpers..) She doesn't get much grain anyway and I'm not looking to switch up the amount...just to add a touch of oomph, if you know what I mean... Advice? Thanks!!!

Oh, i forgot to mention that all feed questions aside, darling mare gets regular maintenance, hock injections, legend on the monthly, back on track blanket etc
    Last edited by carolinagirl17; Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: forgot to add electrolyte!

My 18 year old TB gets:

3 quarts 12 percent sweet feed with added fat
    2 cups Purina Athlete
    Corta Flex joint supp
    1/2 cup Cocosoya oil
    5 flakes of alfalfa/timothy spread out over three feedings, plus a grass hay round bale in turnout.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

My mare (although we are no where near your level!) gets 5-6 flakes of orchard mix hay a day, and then an alfalfa pellet/rice bran mixture as a carrier for her multi vitamin/amino acid/biotin supplements. Sometimes with a few ounces of fish oil. That is pretty much it-she does not get any kind of grain. She has been holding her weight very well and I vary amounts depending on the time of year and the amount of work we're doing.

I first might try just upping the amounts of food you're giving her now (namely the hay and oil). Based on what you're giving, she seems like she's an easy keeper. So I think as long as she is getting good nutrition (to assist in training and recovery), ample calories and holding her weight, she shouldn't have an issue performing.

Oh and LMF senior is a grain not a ration balancer, right? If it is, 1 lb isn't much. If she doesn't need the grain, maybe try switching to the RB to make sure she's getting adequate amounts of vits and minerals?

That being said, my trainer does like this stuff http://www.smartpakequine.com/red-cell-1527p.aspx for some extra oomph

Mine gets free choice T&A, 3 quarts of TC Senior, 3 quarts of TC Complete, More Muscle, UlcerGuard, Vit-e-Sel crumbles, cocasoya, and Horseshoer's Secret. He gets fed grain 2x a day (12 quarts total) with his supplements in his dinner. He'll go off the cocosoya in the summer and start getting extra electrolytes.

He's a 16hh TB, just turned 8, and is in heavy work/showing frequently. Definitely more of a hard keeper, but this regimen has been perfect for him.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I fed my old jumper:
    1 scoop Ultium
    1 scoop Legacy Join Pellets
    Paprika (for the shiny/color)
    Platinum (only during show season).

In the winter he got switched to:
    1 scoop Senior
    1 scoop Beet Pulp
    1 scoop Rice Bran
    Paprika
    1 scoop Legacy Joint.

He also got electorlites and four flakes of alfalfa a day. He was hard to keep weight on and VERY hot, but that feed seemed to balance him out very well. It was pricey but it worked!

Not doing the jumpers at that level yet, but this is what I feed mine:

Forage:
    -Free choice T&OG when inside.
    -Abundant grass for turnout. Hay is thrown out in paddock in winter months even though there is still grass available (just not as much).

Grain:
    -3lbs Blue Seal Performance LS 2x/day (12% Protein, 12% Fat, 20% Fiber, Low starch - 16%)
    -1cup Black oil sunflower seeds 2x/day (for the shinies)

Supplements:
    -Smartpak 1x/day:
    Smartdigest Ultra (comes w/ ColiCare insurance)
    10,000mg MSM pellets
    -Free choice Himalayan salt lick in stall

This is what he looks like on the above regimen http://i50.tinypic.com/5k3u4l.jpg
    Last edited by jlphilli; Apr. 7, 2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added picture
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

1 members found this post helpful.

10 year old TB gelding:

4lbs of ADM Seniorglo each day
    Free choice Timothy/Orchard round bales
    Ranitidine
    Magnesium

We are not jumping your level which is why I chose Seniorglo. Once he gets to that level I will switch to Powerglo. The ADM feeds are amazing. I'm a devoted convert after 90 days. They have alfalfa, stabilized rice bran and flax in them already so I was able to take him off the rice bran and alfalfa pellets he was on. Since being on the ADM, I haven't really needed any supplements. His weight is great, his coat is shinier than it has ever been and his feet are looking better.

My guy was on 9lbs of Buckeye Cadence and it flared up his ulcers and brought on hindgut acidosis. He didn't care for TC Complete or TC Senior. Lost weight on other SS brand feeds. I'm not a Purina fan as they aren't fixed formulas so I won't use them. The folks at ADM told me it would take 60-90 days to see a difference in my horse, however I saw a difference in 22 days. He wasn't bloated, his stool was well formed and no longer had a stinky yeast like smell, he wasn't being a glutton anymore either.

My Thoroughbred jumper's feed changes a lot depending on what she is doing, hay quality and such. She currently gets this in one feeding:

1 kg Purina Integri-T (13% fat, low in sugar)
    4 cups Masterfeeds Finishing Touch (18% fat, fatty acids)
    1/4 cup Vitamin B12 Crumble
    1/8 cup Selenium
    2-3 Carrots
    0.5 kg Beet pulp w/ extra water

She is given hay whenever she runs out, and a trace mineral salt block. Electrolytes are given on hot days only. And she gets a mint after every ride

If you only need to add a little umph as the week goes on and don't want to switch the day to day stuff what about adding a scoop of red cell or lixotinic? That way she's not so wild on her fresh days but you can keep the energy up as the week goes on and she gets quieter. We have some horses who live on it full time and I've had some horses who just get it at shows.

5yo Dutch WB/TB cross
    17 h (so far)
    Works 5x per week for about 45m-1h at a time, weather and life permitting. Jumps up to 3'3 ft once per week and normally a shorter/lower jump session once per week with the rest spent on ground work. (He's a big baby and we are trying to preserve his legs and teach him how to move his body all in the same direction at the same time.)

Per day he is fed:
    4.5 qts beet pulp (no molasses)
    4 qts Legends Performance Pellets (12% protein, 10% fat and 18% fiber, low carb/sugar)
    1 flake alfalfa
    Free choice coastal (round bale in field or 4flakes 2xper day in the stall
    electrolytes (We're in FL)
    garlic and apple cider vinegar (for the flies) - his food smells like pasta when it is all mixed, LOL!

We were on a (Legends 11) lower protein/fat feed until a few months ago when he had a growth spurt and I couldn't keep the weight on him. Stepped up to the Performance and he bulked up nicely, without getting hot, which was a problem I'd had about the time he entered his 4th year (feeling a little too fat and happy, I think). I recently bumped the BP up half a qt when he needed a little more weight and it did the trick without making him any hotter.

Although he can be lazy when he isn't feeling enthused about work, he certainly does not have an energy problem and revs up quickly when he realizes we are doing fun stuff (jumping) instead of horrible, stupid work (leg yields and collected canter.)

From everything I've read, if you want to give her juice/stamina without making her "high", you need to look for a feed with a higher protein and a lower sugar/carb. Just like for us, the protein gives them the stamina/muscle building without the "sugar High." That seems to be working for me so far.

My baby jumper eats 2 lbs of sweet with a half pound of a vitamin ration balancer he also gets 1 1/2 lbs of sweet for lunch, zyrtec for his allergies and 30 lbs of hay throughout the day.

Right now he's practically on maintenance while I'm finishing school but the plan once he's in hard work is to change his food. You might be looking for more protein or more fat for your horse. Do you notice her topline getting thin at all during the show season? If so it might be protein you're lacking if you just want a punch of energy and her muscle tone is solid then you might be looking for fat which will also help with the shiny just be sparing with it because it is pure energy but if you give them more energy than they can metabolize it is stored in the adipose tissue and if your warmblood is anything like mine it is easy to get them too fat. Good luck this season!

Both of my jumpers are on a grass roundbale and are outside on the pasture 24/7 so they can munch all day. When I'm at shows, my mare gets an extra .5-1pound of beet pulp because she's a stress case and tends to drop a bit of weight at shows. The amount of hay depends on the type of hay we buy at the shows but we just let them have hay all day so they can always be munching. Neither at this point have needed any extra grain or supplements but they are both very fit from being on the range and hiking around the hills.

My 14 year old TB, 16.3hh, built big, is on 7 lbs of Triple Crown Senior, Cool Calories, and Tri-Amino. He gets as much hay as he'll eat in a net at night, and is (usually, right now he's on stall rest for a fractured splint) out all day, with grass and a round bale.

This is his usual for 5X a week riding, brief schooling over fences about every other day, and one longer jump school. When he gets back into work and we begin competing again I will probably have to up his grain- he tends to shed pounds easily.

My coming 5 year old Dutch WB (1/4 TB) is ginormous (getting past 17.1hh), but needs a lot less than my TB. He gets about 5.5 lbs of TC Senior a day, as much hay as he wants in a net at night, and is out all day with grass and a round bale. He also gets worked 5X a week, with about half the jumping of my older guy. He's in great weight now, but as we start doing more intense stuff I may have to up his grain. He couldn't possibly eat more hay- he's a pig and routinely falls asleep standing up with his head in the round bale.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

It depends on how big your flakes are, but my inclination would be to say that your horse could probably use more hay!

My jumper (doing 1.15 hopefully 1.20 this year) gets about 3/4 of a medium sized bale of alfalfa/grass mix a day, plus two scoops (guesstimate of about 6lbs) of a high fat grain, about 1/2 cup of flax, and a out 1/8 of a cup of a mineral supplement, a probiotic and oil to stick all the powder together so be eats it . Oh, and lots of carrots

ETA He is a 16.2 9 year old Dutch Warmblood.

I have a 16.2 7 year old Zangershied stallion first year showing in the 1.20m this year. We determined he is a fat burner so we upped his fat intake like crazy recently and the improvement in his work is amazing. He is getting worked 6-7 days a week of around and hour a day. Jumped as needed at least once a week hard flat work and treadmill on non-jumping days. This guy is FIT!
    Am: 2flakes grass hay, 1 big feed scoop approximate 3 lbs triumph 14%, 5oz equine kompeet(supplement) 1/2 cup canola oil.
    Noon: 2 flakes alfalfa
    Pm: 2 flakes grass, 2lbs beet pulp 1/2 cup oil.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.