The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Strangles Vaccine- IN or IM??

I'm debating on whether or not to even give the vaccine...and if so which is best/safest/most effective IN or IM ...my horses live at home with me, but I ship out to a small show barn for lessons, and will be going to shows ...there was also an outbreak in the area of one of the upcoming shows that I will be attending next month

Thanks in advance

Been a few years, but my friend was bragging up how EASY the Nasal spray was for Strangles. Unfortunately they had a horse come to the barn carrying Strangles, and EVERYONE in the barn got Strangles. It was BAD. She was up and down for days caring for all of them, did end up losing 2 of her own animals during that time.

We have always given a dead-virus shot for Strangles, the 2-step one for immunity, then one shot a year for booster. Haven't had any of ours get sick. We do haul out to activities, sometimes they get stalled overnight, others they just are tied to the trailer and not close to other animals.

After my friend's nasal vaccination failure, I would be unwilling to rely on that method for providing good protection. Have heard of some other nasal vaccination failures, though spotty overall. I do hear and have over the MANY years of the "TERRIBLE" reaction as injection sites for giving Strangles shots. We have never had any reactions at injection sites with the Strangles shots, so maybe we are just lucky or have tougher horses. Been giving the shots for years, since we people go to other barns, THEN hear they had Strangles a couple days later. Would be easy for us to bring it home, so the horses get vaccinated for it.

You kind of have to "pick your poison" in making vaccination choices. Strangles is one I consider important for how we live and use our horses. Potomac, not a vaccination we give because the illness has mutated so much that the vaccination is pretty useless. ALL the horses we know that get Potomac HAVE BEEN vaccinated. Some live, some die, but vaccination for Potomac is not a help, just wasted money, to us.

Since the release of the IN strangles vaccine, that is what I have used. We had used the IM prior to that and it always made them sore. I have been at barns where the strangles vaccine was required or recommended, but now at home, I'm not giving it. Very little chance of exposure as my horses don't go anywhere. If I was still boarding, or traveling to shows and such, I'd likely give it. My vet concurs with my view (not needed in my current situation).

The IN can be difficult with some horses. I have one that has to be sedated. His first encounter with a certain vet was for strangles IN when he was 2 or 3 and he hated that vet for years because of it. He tolerates the vet now, just barely, but it took 10 years to kind of forgive him!

I've always given the IM vaccine to my horses that travel, and I've never had any problems with it.

If you go the IN route, that must be administered LAST, after ALL other injections. The vaccine is "live" and if it gets even misted onto the horse after administered (the horse sneezes), and then you inject with a needle, you risk the horse abscessing in that injection site.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I only use the IM in pregnant mares to boost the antibodies in colostrum.
    Otherwise, the IN gives better immunity, IMHO.

Not that either is all that great.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Yes, strangles IN should be last. When doing a shot day at the barn, we'd go down the line administering all the IM vaccines, then go back and do all the IN at the end. I also do not do it if we have extracted teeth (like pulling wolf teeth on young horse), but wait for another time.